The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: blades for frozen logs  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
Re: blades for frozen logs
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »
My guess would be 6 times ?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
I find saw blade science interesting.  Does this make me a loser in today's society?  Next question:  do I care if I'm a loser in today's society?  ;D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline jclvsall

• Professional Woodsniffer
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »
Jb we run the bullets on the 2" mill.  The 2" mill has thicker wheels than the 1.5 " mills. 

We found that with the.055 7turbos from WM we set the top bullets on the blade then tighten.  The bottom we put a piece of metal banding between the bullet and blade as a spacer. Then tighten and remove banding to leave a small space.  This reduces heat and noise.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »
Jb we run the bullets on the 2" mill.  The 2" mill has thicker wheels than the 1.5 " mills. 

We found that with the.055 7turbos from WM we set the top bullets on the blade then tighten.  The bottom we put a piece of metal banding between the bullet and blade as a spacer. Then tighten and remove banding to leave a small space.  This reduces heat and noise.

What kind of guides do you run on the 1.5" mill?
Boy, back in my day..

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
Knotched with a small diameter carbide end mill would be my guess, those rings resemble touch off marks, seen a many of them, just not on band blades, we used magic markers or dykem but still left a witness mark usually, I say if it works, good,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline jclvsall

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2017, 03:25:59 PM »
On the 1.5 we run rollers
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2017, 03:46:07 PM »
What do you like better the rollers or the bullets or are they both good?

I thought he made the frost notches with the same thing he swadges the blades with but idk I'll have to watch him do it next time I'm there
Boy, back in my day..

Offline gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »
      JB and jclvsall     I have been using 1 1/2" 7 deg turbo blade as my general purpose blade since it was first released. It performs great in all types of hardwoods that I cut. This holds true until the logs get frozen. When the logs freeze up I have to go back to a 4 deg blade in order to get the cut quality that our customers demand. I don't just purchase another blade profile manufactured at 4 deg hook angle. I take a 7/39 deg turbo blade and re-profile to a 4/39 turbo. I use a specific 4/39 CBN wheel to make this happen. This wheel was developed to exclusively re-profile the 7 deg turbo to a 4 deg hook angle. Doing this allows me to purchase 1 blade profile for all my sawing conditions. This CBN wheel is available exclusively from our fellow forum member Cutting Edge. I have been doing this for the last 2 winters and the 4/39 profile performs better than the WM stock 4/32 blade profile. jclvsall this option may be for you considering the tooth profile limitations that WM has imposed on their 2" Silver Tip blade stock.

For all of you that think a 7 deg blade, especially with added extra set, will cut all frozen hardwoods productively, I can assure you it will not. If anyone doubts what I am stating, Come to OH and try to cut a frozen W. Oak with 7 deg blade. It will make some of nicest wavy W. Oak firewood you have ever seen.       

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline jclvsall

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017, 11:56:04 PM »
Gmmills I had a long phone conversation with Richard (Cutting Edge) a couple years ago about this.  He was working on getting Kasco to make them. Not sure how that ever turned out. 

If/when we get a cbn grinder we will certainly try that.

You are right the turbos get crappy when the logs freeze.  I found last week they were humping over the logs.  Not rising in the cut and making thickNthins but literally cutting cupped boards.  It was amazing.  The blade was literally trying to follow the rings.  The weirdest part is it would do it in one log then cut perfect in the next then crappy then perfect.  I guess the logs in the sun were thawing but the ones under the pile were not.

4x4 we like both guides.  We hated the bullets until we went to the .055 7 turbos and dropped the bottom ones out of play.  Now they work great!

But to be honest the 1.5" mill with rollers and .055 7 turbos can just about keep up!

I have a roller designed in my head for the 2" machine. Now to just get to the shop and build it or get Floyd to do it.

Brian 

Offline Mt406

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 12:08:30 PM »
Tried my first WM 4 just recently and liked it.
Had a guy bring some red Oak to saw. ( we don't get much of that in MT)
green and frozen.
I was happy with the blade striate and true I did have to scrap off saw dust.
Cut two orders of lodgepole pine cut just as well.
Didn't see much slow down in cut speed.
I lose more time in material handling than saw time.

Offline JB Griffin

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
Brian, what kind of footage and life are ya'll gettin? Me and th boss have been talking about going to 2" blades and just weighing the pros and cons.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota, 160 Prentice, Frick 2 saw gang edger, Wright W-37 ABG, Suffolk dual tooth setter, Cat claw single tooth setter,'96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, CS-590 Echo, MF 20c, M681 Memo.

Over 2.5 million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator and counting.

Offline Cutting Edge

• Share Post
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »

Gmmills I had a long phone conversation with Cutting Edge a couple years ago about this.  He was working on getting Kasco to make them. Not sure how that ever turned out.   

It's coming !!   ;D  Perseverance paid off.   Now we just have to be patient for production to begin.  I'll leave it at that, so not to hijack the thread.   ;) 
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 12:34:47 AM »
The ring marks are from swadging the teeth and the frost notch is grount in with what the saw filer calls a plunge grinder.  Vitrified wheel stone.  I asked him why they didnt use a cbn and he said that stuff is too fancy pants and that the turn of the century plunge grinder he uses works great lol.
Boy, back in my day..

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
4x4: You stole all my answers again! Darn you, you have learned too much for a young feller. This cold weather really brings out the sawing problems.  See you in the spring, Doug

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
blades for frozen logs

Started by board on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post December 18, 2013, 06:04:48 AM
by Qweaver
xx
resharpening frozen wood blades (double tooth style)

Started by Ironwood on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 08:33:03 AM
by tommone
question
Frozen Logs???

Started by Jeff_Green on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2002, 03:30:29 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
FROZEN LOGS