Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Fence posts  (Read 3048 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Fence posts
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
Here is a cedar pole from the 1940's, still with the tags. It was knocked down in 2016 when some loggers piled wood by it. It was actually a poor place to pile wood, on the bank of a stream beside a bridge.

Most of these were cut down in the 70's and left and the local farmers collected them for kindling wood. They were white cedar, the same as we would cut from old rail fencing, not red heartwood like red cedar. Western red cedar is quite dark red-brown heartwood. But of course I am used to old growth red cedar, well over 400 years old, not the more juvenile wood that might be lighter in color I suppose. I just could not imagine shipping cedar here for poles way back then when we have native cedar growing here.

I do know that white cedar was used here and not many years ago because the bark was left on them and they would not have been shipped here with bark on. A small community a ways south of here, you can still see some old cedar poles strung for a mile along forested area. The newest cedar posts I saw was near a more remote hamlet with rail service, but those were poles with bark. It is also an area with white cedar 3 foot DBH and rather tall for white cedar, they grow with the red maple and yellow birch and more upland where they get bigger than on swampy ground.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
I've got some commercially made split rail fence that evidently is red cedar .It's only been up about twenty years and has showed no sign of degrading .
A couple friends of mine who are linemen managed to get a slew of the butt ends of 90 foot red cedar poles for free .They hauled them down here by the triaxle trailer load from Detroit  and sawed them into lumber .They all ended with cedar lined clothes closets and sold enough to more than pay for the small Woodmizer bandsaw mill  .I think is was an LT 14 .Couple years ago they sawed up about 3500 BD feet of oak for me .Neat little saw I have to say.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »
Yes, when I worked on one of the islands of Haida Gwaii north of Vancouver Island we had sample plots in forest there were now hemlock, but were red cedar back in the 40's. There was some old logs in the understory, that were 8 feet diameter or more and only rotten on the outside 3" in the sapwood. Little hemlock growing in the pulpy mush, some 8" in diameter. Roots would migrate around the log down to dirt. Rained every day there practically, since it is rain forest. No lack of water. :D Same piece of woods I found this monster cedar they never got. :D

And some of our largest white cedar at 36" dbh. No comparison. :D You can see all the small hardwood around it. It was a clearcut, they left the old cedars. One of them upland sites the cedar get bigger on.

I do know for sure there are some eastern white cedar businesses around, especially Ontario, where they make red cedar telephone poles for sure. Our predominant poles here is treated red pine poles these days. But the rest of their business is mulch and white cedar products. There is a white cedar outfit here that is making everything from white cedar, but not telephone poles. Decking, posts and so on. And Ward Cabin in Maine is a white cedar business making log homes of white cedar since the 20's.

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 12:33:59 AM »
Aren't common names fun :D. I think, but who knows, that we have just talked about 4 different kinds of cedar, none of which are actually a cedar  :).

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 06:03:17 AM »
No, we talked about two I'm pretty sure. :)  In forestry and forest products land they are cedars even if not to hard core botanists. ;)

Thuja occidentalis  eastern white

Thuja plicata  western red

Dirty Harry

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
Cedar closet lining is juniperus virginiana, eastern redcedar
who knows, I was under the impression some of those phone poles might be atlantic white-cedar, Chamaecyparis thyoides. Sort of like topics about poplar leave me wondering what they are talking about :)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
We wasn't talking cedar lined closets though. ;) Posts, poles and cabin logs. And any white cedar companies I have come across up this way and Ontario are using Thuja o and their poles are Thuja p. Ward cabin uses Thuja o. ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
Where you all lost me in common names was talking about red cedar posts for closet lining above, reread post 21. I was thinking WRC isn't closet lining in my world and ERC isn't a phone pole, ain't got a clue what these boys are talking about :D

My only point here is when you use common names that span 2 or more species, only you really know what you're talking about.

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »
I love common names for trees and waterfowl but the one that gets me is calling Atlantic white cedar juniper. If you were raised with these very incorrect names, well that's the way it is and I'm no different in my region .

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »
Yup, I grew up with that being juniper siding. It all works fine within that region but it sure starts to fall apart when we are talking outside of our area. I was working up near the great lakes and a supplier was talking about white cedar, which to me was that "juniper", atlantic white-cedar. He was talking about northern white-cedar... not a big deal because we weren't talking about anything structural, either was fine for those railings. When the confusion is about structural parts it can be a real problem. Although if I were to put WRC in a closet here instead of ERC I would probably be replacing it the next week. Never hurts to be clear  :)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 04:24:06 AM »
You could, but it would not be aromatic red cedar. ;D :D But wait a minute here, western red cedar is aromatic to, just not the same smell. I've been in buildings out their on the west coast made with the stuff or trim and it does have an aroma. :)

Reading that post 21. I couldn't imagine an eastern red cedar for a 90 foot tall telephone pole to begin with. ;)

Dirty Harry

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 05:59:31 AM »
When I put an addition on my house in order to match the original design I used fletch cut cedar on the gable ends .This stuff dates back to the 70's,not so easy to find these days .My lumber yard ordered it from a specialty company in Burnaby BC .I wasn't cheap either .Glad I only needed 2 square .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
fence posts for wooden fence

Started by jkj on General Board

21 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 06:53:05 AM
by Dana
xx
Where can I get fence posts?

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 11:01:11 AM
by sgschwend