The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Oregon "PowerCut" chain  (Read 9171 times)

Offline Ed

• Share Post
Oregon "PowerCut" chain
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
Anyone tried it?

My dealer gave me a demo loop today, 72EXL072. Looks like good stuff, has a coating on the teeth, inpressive chassis as well.
He said it's the fastest cutting chain he's ever used, very resistant to dirt as well.

I'll put it on the 2171 and give it a workout this weekend.

Ed

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
Re: Oregon "PowerCut" chain
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
Post some pics too Ed.
It looks competitive in similar design to Husqvarna's new X Cut chain.
 I haven't tried either  yet.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »
first is the new Powercut, Rapid Super and 72lgx in the back.

Powercut

Ed

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
Nice looking chain. :)

Offline ButchC

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »
Every time Oregon improves #72 it looks more like Stihl RS  ;D

Is Husqvarna actually producing their own chain now?  I have not paid much attention to them as they had been selling rebadged Oregon for more money.  Web site says they are but so did it when they were selling Oregon with their name on it.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:51:27 AM »
Every time Oregon improves #72 it looks more like Stihl RS  ;D

Is Husqvarna actually producing their own chain now?  I have not paid much attention to them as they had been selling rebadged Oregon for more money.  Web site says they are but so did it when they were selling Oregon with their name on it.
Actually Butch the Oregon 72LG introduced in 1982 was copied by Stihl to make the 33RS design what it is today.

Yes Husqvarna has their own Scandinavian  chain plant now.  Only chain I know of available here in North America is a .325 semi chisel they recently introduced here.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »
the new Oregon chain is to be a lot more accurate on how it is made compared to the LGX chain. the LGX chain gets its measurements based off the racker, the new chain is based off the rivot holes. LGX chain is off sometimes quite abit from  length of the cutter from side to side and the side plate angle

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 11:52:44 PM »
 How is that PowerCut chain for sharpening with the file? I am running an Oregon "speedcut" 95txl chain on my 024 and 2 of the 3 chains I currently have for it, about half the cutters are too hard to scratch with a file. I'm going to bring them in to grind them, hopefully the cutters will cooperate with a file after I do that. 

- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
No news on how the chain cuts, sorry.

With 10"+ of snow over the weekend, my time was spent in the plow truck.

Have some logs that I can get to, try to start cutting them up this week.

Ed

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
No news on how the chain cuts, sorry.

With 10"+ of snow over the weekend, my time was spent in the plow truck.

Have some logs that I can get to, try to start cutting them up this week.

Ed

You could at least saw some snow for us.
Liking Walnut

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
Made it to the log pile today.....13 logs, dead Ash & a couple dead Elm, guessing just over 3 face cord when split.

Wow.

This chain is impressive, I previously had a new 72lgx chain on, this blows it away. Pulls itself through the cut very well, nice & smooth in the cut. Still looks new.

Only tightened the chain after the first log, stretch, so far is minimal.

The logs were clean, can't say how it holds up to dirt.

Guess I'll go pay for it, pleased so far.

Ed

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
the 4 I ordered from stahls just came in the mail. right as the ground is thawing  :snowball:  go figure
john

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 10:04:31 PM »
Let us know how you like them.....

I'll be trying this chain on different saws, it should kick butt and take names on my dual port 046, also curious to see what it does on the slower, smaller 032.

Now I need to get my 066 rebuilt, this will get me motovated.

Ed

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
Guess I will order  pair for the stihl ms362cm and see how they do, I'm not much of a cutter myself so I tend to be hell on chain.  My logger/cutter however, he's a demon with a saw.  We'll let him run it on his husky 372.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 10:07:38 AM »
This new chain is being very well received by my customers. Even winning over a few Stihl chain users, and that wasn't happening with the LGX. Feedback is great out of the box sharpness, excellent edge holding with minimal stretching. Files nice too. Oregon spent a lot of time working on the "feed pressure" and this chain has a wide, easy to find sweet spot. They use a CBN wheel to fashion the cutter. (cubic boron nitride) So, there's a lot of stuff going on with this new chain.

Husky 3/8 chain will not be out until summer. For some reason they are holding it til they can release it at the same time as the 572. Don't understand that thinking myself. Lot of guys will be locked into the new EXL by the time the Husky chain shows up. Got a feeling pricing will be an issue as well. The EXL only went up about a $1 my cost. From what they've done with the .325 Xcut that is already out, I'd expect to see the 3/8 stuff be $5-$8 a loop more. It will have to be a superior chain if it's priced like that.

LGX is supposed to go away at some point down the road in the Oregon label, but should continue as private label chain for Husky, Echo, and whoever.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline ButchC

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 07:47:36 AM »
Checked out the 3/8 050 inventory last night and its time to stock up. So I guess I will order up a reel and put it to the wood. Gotta tell ya it will be a  tough road for the newcomer, I like my Stihl RS and RSK chain a lot.

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »
 I could use another couple chains for the 455 and 372, I think I may order some to try out. I'm anxious to try out the Husky c85 chain also once it is released in the USA as well. 
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
This new chain is being very well received by my customers. Even winning over a few Stihl chain users, and that wasn't happening with the LGX. Feedback is great out of the box sharpness, excellent edge holding with minimal stretching. Files nice too. Oregon spent a lot of time working on the "feed pressure" and this chain has a wide, easy to find sweet spot. They use a CBN wheel to fashion the cutter. (cubic boron nitride) So, there's a lot of stuff going on with this new chain.

Husky 3/8 chain will not be out until summer. For some reason they are holding it til they can release it at the same time as the 572. Don't understand that thinking myself. Lot of guys will be locked into the new EXL by the time the Husky chain shows up. Got a feeling pricing will be an issue as well. The EXL only went up about a $1 my cost. From what they've done with the .325 Xcut that is already out, I'd expect to see the 3/8 stuff be $5-$8 a loop more. It will have to be a superior chain if it's priced like that.

LGX is supposed to go away at some point down the road in the Oregon label, but should continue as private label chain for Husky, Echo, and whoever.

Thanks to all for the input.  I've ordered 2 chains and we'll test out with our cutter and myself (great vs idiot with a saw) and give some feedback.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 12:05:10 AM »
Ran into a friend yesterday, he bought a loop for his MS362, loves it.....not sure if he'll bother to use up his other chains.

Ed

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
With the LGX and RS chain being as good as they are, the EXL has a tough act to follow. Going back to back with fresh chains & cutting cookies, its tough to see a huge difference from one to the next...a good design is STILL a good design after all these years! So at the most basic level if LGX is phased out, the EXL certainly picks up where the LGX left off from that initial "feel" perspective. If there is a difference, its not large. But I think that misses the point so haven't even tried to focus on that at our place. I have a few loops and sent some out with a couple of customers who live in the Hardwood for work.

Those little oil grooves designed to bring chain oil to the bearings between links must do something, as the chainsaw don't seem to wear or "stretch" as fast. That's consistent feed back.

Also they seem to file back to sharp as well as the older stuff. A net zero there.

Bottom line for me to this point is the EXL is a worthy replacement, but haven't seen a revolutionary performance jump with the chains as they come out of the box for the first 15 minutes or so. They do seem to, at least in one area, wear better. I suppose you can rationalize less times having to stop and adjust a chain means more productivity. And over the next few months, as they get used side by side with the RS typically used by that person, more things may come out. But the initial reaction has been universally positive.

One change in the Oregon product line I'm pretty stoked about is the "medium/land owner" (Not pro level) use VersaCut bars. Love them. As light as the Sugi's but half the price. Sure they don't have replaceable sprocket tips, and are a laminate design; but haven;t yet "exploded' when I've bore cut with mine. For the typical farmer/landowner that are a quantum leap over the other options at that price point in my most humble opinion. For me light bars are more important even than light power heads because of where they have their center of mass...out front..JUST an opinion BTW. Coupled with the smooth cutting EXL chain, its even a better deal for me than the excellent LGX/Powermatch combinations of yor...

Have to say one thing that will get me in hot water. Around here nothing is better than the Pro Level Stihl bars with their really rugged sprocket tips (The one s that have 6 rivits).. many adapt them to the Husqvarna's and even look past the weight because they ARE available, they last, and every one now has gone to the "training" and now bore cuts....everything. (From the side). Not certain I get that but its the rule not the exception in this part of the world.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl "RS" vs. Oregon "LP" Which is better for Firewood?

Started by outdoortype on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2006, 08:55:01 PM
by Max sawdust
xx
Stihl MS 250 18" chain "sizing problems"

Started by woodguy65 on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 07:21:20 AM
by woodguy65
xx
1- Twisted Sister or "Walnutz!" and 2- "Pre-Bent" or "Saw Mill Nightmare?

Started by MbfVA on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
by MbfVA
xx
any suggestions on a "full chisel" chain for stihl 310? what about bars???

Started by fury1973 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 05:10:56 PM
by tcrew