The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Oregon "PowerCut" chain  (Read 8409 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Oregon "PowerCut" chain
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
The 24" PowerCut chain i ordered for the 372xp came in yesterday. Just looking it over, it's got a clean and consistent grind and feels very sharp out of the box, like the Oregon SpeedCut chains I have for my 024. The profile doesn't exactly fit a round file, but its close and shouldn't be hard to file (providing the metal isn't over hardened like my SpeedCut chains apparently were) . I think I will test it out today.
None of the chains I buy fit a round file profile the first time I sharpen them, but it doesn't take much to change that when I do sharpen them.

My biggest gripe with Oregon LG & LP chain is that ever since they started pushing their "sharp out of the box" advertising, they have been coming with way too much hook on the teeth - and the depth gauges are set too high (higher than Oregon's own specs - maybe they are trying to make up for the extra hook?). They do cut well out of the box, but that hook never holds up very well. I like them much better after I have sharpened them a couple of times (and I'm not doing anything fancy with my sharpening, just bringing them into the specs they say to use on their chains).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
The 24" PowerCut chain i ordered for the 372xp came in yesterday. Just looking it over, it's got a clean and consistent grind and feels very sharp out of the box, like the Oregon SpeedCut chains I have for my 024. The profile doesn't exactly fit a round file, but its close and shouldn't be hard to file (providing the metal isn't over hardened like my SpeedCut chains apparently were) . I think I will test it out today.
None of the chains I buy fit a round file profile the first time I sharpen them, but it doesn't take much to change that when I do sharpen them.

My biggest gripe with Oregon LG & LP chain is that ever since they started pushing their "sharp out of the box" advertising, they have been coming with way too much hook on the teeth - and the depth gauges are set too high (higher than Oregon's own specs - maybe they are trying to make up for the extra hook?). They do cut well out of the box, but that hook never holds up very well. I like them much better after I have sharpened them a couple of times (and I'm not doing anything fancy with my sharpening, just bringing them into the specs they say to use on their chains).
 Comparing an LGX with the EXL, I can see what you mean with there being alot of hook on the LGX, I hadnt really payed that much attention but I have a loop of LGX on the 455 to compare and the EXL has significantly less. I could see a little difference by the OP's post with the picture comparison but in person I can really see the difference.

- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
 I did some cutting with the PowerCut EXL chain and it seems to be cutting great so far.
Heres another couple pics for comparison if anyone is interested.

EXL PowerCut rear in focus

LGX front in focus

- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Comparing an LGX with the EXL, I can see what you mean with there being alot of hook on the LGX, I hadnt really payed that much attention but I have a loop of LGX on the 455 to compare and the EXL has significantly less. I could see a little difference by the OP's post with the picture comparison but in person I can really see the difference.
The LGX chain didn't come that way 5 or so years ago. Was the chain in your photo new out of the box, or had you already sharpened it yourself? Compare to this picture from one of Oregon's brochures with their sharpening instructions. It has nowhere near the beak sticking off that their new chain actually does:

Try putting one of Oregon's depth gauge tools on it, and see if they depth gauges stick up above the tool. Or put a straight edge across a couple of teeth and measure how far down the depth gauges are below the edge. Their specs call for 0.025". Last time I checked it was something like .015-.020" out of the box
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
been running the EXL chain on the landing , about half way used up now with this chain. Im pretty happy with it . Seems to stay sharp a lot better than the LGX as Im cutting up in sand/mud . I got a couple more new ones but if Im using a husky to cut up with I will be using this chain

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
The LGX chain didn't come that way 5 or so years ago. Was the chain in your photo new out of the box, or had you already sharpened it yourself? Compare to this picture from one of Oregon's brochures with their sharpening instructions. It has nowhere near the beak sticking off that their new chain actually does:
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Try putting one of Oregon's depth gauge tools on it, and see if they depth gauges stick up above the tool. Or put a straight edge across a couple of teeth and measure how far down the depth gauges are below the edge. Their specs call for 0.025". Last time I checked it was something like .015-.020" out of the box
 Both chains are brand new with the factory grind. The LGX hadn't even cut yet. 
 The depth gauge tool I have is a Husqvarna (the little stamped metal tool with the Hardwood slot and Softwood slot) but the LGX depth gauge are just barely above the tool and the EXL are about flush. I'll measure them when I find my feeler gauges and a strait edge.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
ive always been a bigger fan of stihl chain not Oregon. are these new EXL chains as good as stihl chain ?
john

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »
pretty close so far for me

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
pretty close so far for me

thats good news cause they are a fair amount cheaper
john

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 08:02:44 PM »
I bought a 100 ft roll of this chain yesterday , Its close to the good stihl chain, maybe a touch softer but forsure a lot better than the LGX as far as hardness goes , does not dull as easy

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »
I bought a 100 ft roll of this chain yesterday , Its close to the good stihl chain, maybe a touch softer but forsure a lot better than the LGX as far as hardness goes , does not dull as easy

cheaper than stihl too aint it??
john

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
not here in Canada, I get the stihl chain for about the same price , you guys in the states get chain a lot cheaper than we do

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
 So far I am happy with this PowerCut chain, it seems to be holding an edge well and still files pretty easy. There were a couple cutters that were hard to file the first time for some reason but after I filed through the hard outer layer they seemed ok. This also happened on my SpeedCut chains so they have definitely worked on hardening the cutters on the newer chains.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl "RS" vs. Oregon "LP" Which is better for Firewood?

Started by outdoortype on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2006, 08:55:01 PM
by Max sawdust
xx
Stihl MS 250 18" chain "sizing problems"

Started by woodguy65 on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 07:21:20 AM
by woodguy65
xx
1- Twisted Sister or "Walnutz!" and 2- "Pre-Bent" or "Saw Mill Nightmare?

Started by MbfVA on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
by MbfVA
xx
any suggestions on a "full chisel" chain for stihl 310? what about bars???

Started by fury1973 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 05:10:56 PM
by tcrew