iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speakin of grits.........

Started by BigTrev, January 23, 2007, 07:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigTrev

Now a couple of years ago I spent a little time in NC and while I was there I tried this legendary food. Now I am a fairly easy going sort of guy but what I was given was kinda like a warm bowl of sandy wallpaper paste that sorta resembled porridge. I keep hearing of these different ways of cooking grits in passing but never any details. I'd really like to hear what some of your favorite recipes are.

I'm sure I just got a bad first impression so help me out here.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

thecfarm

I'm sure I just got a bad first impression so help me out here.

Oh no you didn't.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DWM II

Grits, love'em or hate'em there aint much middle ground. I'm a lover  ;).
Stewardship Counts!

isawlogs

Grits ... put butter on um .. taste like .... butter
  Grits ... put salt and pepper on um  ..  taste like ... salt and pepper
  Grits ... put sauce on um ... taste like ...  you got it Sauce .  ;)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Captain

What Marcel is trying to say is without anything grits taste like nothing.  ::)

BigTrev

Jeff

Big Trev, this link leads to and is absolutely the best description that has ever been give for cooking grits bar none.  :)

LINK
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BigTrev

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

That musta been the part where she went wrong, didn't biff em away

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

farmerdoug

You feed it to cattle.  Then you butcher said cattle.  Then you grill the thick steaks on the grill like Tom does.  8)
That is the best way to eat grits.  ::)
It does take a while so it is a good weight loss plan also. :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

sawguy21

Jeff, that is absolutely hilarious, the guy should have been an auctioneer :D :D :D :D. Trev, if you search the FF archives, there have been some interesting discussions on this very topic. Why, Tom almost had an apoplectic fit when I asked what grits were, here that is the term for a Liberal politician and they ain't worth a DanG raw or cooked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CHARLIE

BigTrev, you are hearing mostly from Yanks that don't know a good food when they see or taste it. DWMII is the only sane answer you got. If'n ya wanna know about the essence of fine grits you'll have to hear it from the knowledgable Southern members. Yanks eat mush. You can't have a decent breakfast without grits. Yanks think potatoes suffice but they don't hold a candle to grits. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of recipes if you do a Google search on Grits Recipes. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

Quote from: CHARLIE on January 23, 2007, 11:47:28 PM
.............. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of recipes if you do a Google search on Grits Recipes. ;D

Then, do they taste like Google?     :)

I eat them grits with a over-easy fried egg layin in the center........ :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

konrad695

BigTrev,
There are more ways to cook eggs than grits, but not many.  Too bad you had the gooey runny kind.  I've always liked mine thicker like mashed potatoes.  I got hooked on them by my mother and grandmother making baked chezy grits in a big stone bowl.  If you want to try them again find a recipe like that.  Try serving with roasted pork loin and green beans w/pine nuts and mushrooms.  This combo just fits together.   When you were in NC did you run across a breakfast meat called "scrapple".  Tasts good,  looks VERY BAD.  Hope your next experience is better.

DWM II

Big Trev, go to Emeril.com and search cheese baked grits, thats the one my wife uses. For  breakfast grits i prefer Jim Dandy brand grits and its a simple 4-1 water to grits. Cook you a fried egg and some bacon then mix it in with your grits.

Oh yeah, my secret is to make sure the grits are cooked in salty water. Its hard to get them seasone right after they are cooked.

I love it when we talk about the important stuff. 8) 8) 8)
Stewardship Counts!

JimBuis

No matter what you do to them grits, they ain't never gonna hold a candle to some nice fried taters smothered in sausage gravy. ;D ;D  Now THAT there's some good eatin'.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Norm

First time I ever had them they fixed them like you got Trev, they must of made the instant kind. Wallpaper paste would have been better. :D

Biggest problem I have with grits is getting a decent product up here. All I can ever find is instant ones yuck! How about one of our southern members suggesting a brand that can be mail ordered.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: JimBuis on January 24, 2007, 07:31:53 AM
No matter what you do to them grits, they ain't never gonna hold a candle to some nice fried taters smothered in sausage gravy. ;D ;D Now THAT there's some good eatin'.

IMHO,
Jim

That's where you're wrong there young man. Gitchya together a heapin pile of bacon, them taters and sausage gravy like you describe AND a big heppin 'o gritz, with buttered biscuit to sop it up with. That's where it's at papasan!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

tcsmpsi

Well, Trev, I suppose I've eaten grits about as many ways as anyone and more than most.

I heard some mention about them not tasting like anything, except what one might apply to them.   ??? ???

I know nothing of that.  But then, if a feller's sure enough haungry, he tends to have penchant for the more subtle food sensations.   ;D

Now, most particularly, I am quite fond of grits mixed with over-medium eggs, all in a pile in a large enough vessel so as not to escape.

But then, I lilke them with peanut butter in 'em...oooohhhh,  ahh, yes I do like them fried (boil them up as 'usual'(kinda thick), put them in a loaf pan, allow to cool, then slice and fry in pan), with some good local cane syrup.

They're good with broccoli and/or cauliflower, too.  And shrimp.  And pork butt.  I tried them with ice cream a couple times, but it was just too much contrast.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

woodbeard

WDH

Season them during cooking.  Cook slow and to a thick consistency.  Spread them over your eggs, add a little grated cheddar cheese, and mix it all up!  Yum! 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

Notice how the guys all BRAG about Taters WITH GRAVY ???  How about Steak SMOTHERED with Onions or Rubber bands OR Sauce ???

Then, they think Grits are bland solo ??? ??? ???  Funny thing about Grits, they DO taste like what they are made from  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

Hominy is in Harmony with Nature.......

by Henry Gibson

TexasTimbers

For the record I just made that up I don't want Henry to sue me

thecfarm

Why do you all  have to mix them with something good to make them taste good?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!