iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting new work area

Started by Maineloggerkid, March 09, 2008, 11:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackman1801

Quote from: thecfarm on April 01, 2008, 07:51:48 AM
What was IP in Jay,is not taken 8 foot anymore? When I had my land logged 2 years ago they was taking 8 foot.I wonder why the change on that.

im not sure where we sell our pulp too but i know they want it 12' and they wont accept anything much under 10....atleast thats what i have been told by the instructors to mark on the landing, mark 12 and if you have anything from 10-12' left stick it in anyways, if its under 10 buck it up and throw it on the junk pile for the landowner to take at will.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

We cut our spruce, fir, and hemlock all 24'. We cut our pine and hardwood either 12 or 16'.   We cut our poplar tree length.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

zackman1801

we really dont deal much with popple or spruce its mainly white pine down around here. although at the begining of the year we had to do a thinning of a red pine plantation..ehh what a mess every other tree got hung up because of how closely they were planted...the skidder was busy that day..not to mention the cant hook...
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

I hate hang ups.   My instructor always sends I and one other kid out on the leading edge of  our cuts. It sucks because there aren't any holes for the trees yet, but he sends us because he knows we can get them to the ground. ;)  One morning we went to a new area at 9:00 and by 11:00 we had a skidder trail cut and about 5 twitches down and limbed.

Maineloggerkid

Anyone else starting a new job site or anything of the like.??

timberfaller390

Fixing to start about a 3 acre cedar job.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

i dont remember if i already said so but im starting a nice work area right next to my grandparents house to remove some overhanging pines, and pines around the area so that they can get sun on their new deck (not to pleased that they built a new deck and its always shady...no sun! ) so the trees are going. there are some nice ones there some i measured 30" at DBH.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

Cool!  Sounds like im not the only one headed into the woods after snow out.

timberfaller390

Snow what's that?  We haven't seen any of the white stuff down here in years. Just means I don't get a winter break. $$$
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

hopefully i can get into the woods this weekend and cut some firewood. but we shall see!
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller390

Dropping the first trees on the cedar job monday!!!   
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Im starting my Poplar job this coming weekend

timberfaller390

First trees hit the dirt on the cedar job today!!! $$$
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Cool! Im still waiting for the snow to settle about another foot. At the rate its melting, it will be another week. :'(

timberfaller390

Wow, it has been sleeveless shirt and no top or doors on the jeep weather here for 2 weeks
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

thats the good thing about georgia....it stays pretty warm. around where i live its nice, the snow is really melted alot but, its soo muddy its impossible to do anything.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

Ya, its warm here, but theres just alot of snow. THere is still over 2 feet in places behind my house. UP north of my place they had 14 foot tall snowbanks along the road this year.

timberfaller390

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

hehe,

im glad that isnt my house. we had alot of snow but not that much. although its still deep in the woods where i live. its strange, all of the towns within 10 miles all around (N,S,E,W) have almost no snow, my house still has atleast a foot or 2 in places.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

Maineloggerkid

I went in today and cut the first trees down. All spruce, but I have to cut them to get to the Poplar. Everthing went quite well. ;D

timberfaller390

Good deal Maine. I was told yesterday that the cedar job was being put on hold. Seems the land owner is leaving town till May1 and doesn't want to leave the gate open for me to get in. DanG I haven't even got the first load out yet.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Nothing is ever simple, is it? :-\ I deal with stuff like thta all the time. it is very frustrating, but I have grown to almost expect it.

zackman1801

in the words of a great band nickleback "somethings gotta go wrong cause im feeling way too *DanG good"

hopefully i wont have any problems any time soon, most of the time i feel like crap. but we shall see ive got a small job for a teacher of mine removing blowdowns and large limbs that have fallen of his pines on his property. id say for the $50 im making it should be an easy job. but we shall see.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

SwampDonkey

Well I guess the cruising phase is over , eh?

You could use a 10 meter radius plot (the math is easier) and use a compass to tie a ribbon at each of the 4 points on the compass (N, E, S, W) to mark the perimeter and measure dbh on each tree at merchantable size and estimate and measure the heights of dominant and suppressed tree at the plot. DBH is tallied in classes 10, 12, 14 so on. A 10.5 cm tree is tallied as 10 cm, same procedure for US units of measure. And tally by species and dominance class and maybe a third dimension, quality. The dominant trees give you an idea of site class of the site. The best sites grow taller trees, type of thing. And with volume tables, indexed by site class, you figure the volume per tree. By sampling every 300 feet or so apart you find volume of the stand. That's another thing, you have to break down the tally by stand. A stand has a set of tree species that dominate that section of forest. So there could be a cedar stand, a maple stand, and a spruce stand. Generally, we call a hardwood stand that which contains hard maple, beech, yellow birch, ash, oak. That's one stand. Another stand could be balsam fir, spruce, red maple, white birch and aspen called a mixed stand or sometimes intolerant hardwood if dominated by aspen, and/or white birch. Another could be a cedar stand dominated by eastern white cedar, it may also include scattered fir, spruce, red maple, black ash. Before you can cruise you need a cruise plan, which includes an aerial photo, which helps determine areas of each unique stand. (see link below) I have volume tables for New Brunswick that would easily follow growth of forests in Maine. They include a graph of site index curves, the curve numbers correspond to the volume tables used.

For Imperial/US unit users:

Density = tally/((diameter class/(12 x plot radius)) x # plots

Basal area = 0.005454 x diameter class 2 x Density

Volume = Density x Volume (By diameter class)

More info in the Prism thread on photos and area. Most of the cruising math is different from above because of using prisms over in that thread.

For a ball park idea on volume, mature hardwood and mixed timber should be in the ball park of 26 cords/acre ± 4 cords/acre, mature cedar can be around 55 cords/acre ± 5 cords/acre. Mature spruce/fir/pine around 33 cords/acre ± 5 cords/acre.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!