The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: A little trouble today  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
A little trouble today
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:19 PM »
First log, first cut.  When I hit the reverse, the powerfeed made a "bad" noise that I had never heard before.  Next cut, same noise.  I finished the log, took the guards off of the powerfeed sprockets and watched.  Yup, slipped...or rather skipped a few links.

Pulled the powerfeed assembly, and sure enough.....worn drive sprocket. 

That's when WM service comes into play.  Called, all needed parts are in stock, and will be here Wednesday.

I ordered both sprockets and the necessary bearings and keepers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
Re: A little trouble today
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
I love woodmizer parts

wish I didn't  have to buy them

but, in stock, on time, back to cutting
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline ForestMan

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »
Wow, you can really see the wear on those.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
Also, check the chain. Usually the sprockets wear because the chain stretches and rides up on the sprocket teeth.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
Good point, but it's 40 miles away on that job.  I'll run the sprockets on the chain before I install them.  I'll actually measure the chain when I bring the mill back next week.  I'm sure that the chain is original and I've put over 4K hours on it.  The original owner replaced the hour meter, so it has well over 6K hours.

I've got 21 good SYP logs to saw first.  All 24"+..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline captain_crunch

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
M_M
Keep a real close eye on your new sprokets with worn chain sometimes they will eat a new sproket fast
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »
It is better to bite the bullet and put new chain on as soon as you can. See what you get for putting all those hours on that mill, new part.  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:51 AM »
always replace the chain when replacing sprockets.  A saying to live by

Stonebroke

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:55:57 AM »
Guess that'll learn you not to use your mill so much!  You're plum wearing it out...

Oh, well, as they say around here- the  only equipment that doesn't break...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »
Gday

Whata doin wearn equipment out like that  Mate  ;) :D  Magic one of me old boses would think i was being a real pita sayn that needed fixn just tighten up the chain more he'd say  ;)  :) ??? ::)  Ive seen plenty worse than that ran an old laimet that had only about 1/8th of the drive tooth left on the sprocket you hat to be realy touchy with the feed and reverse mate  ::) ::) ::) :( >:( Quit  ;) :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline Wintergreen Mountain

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »
Magicman'
   Captain-Crunch is right on. If you use the old chain at all run it loose and watch it closely. The wear i see in your picture definetly shows a lot of chain pitch wear. If the old chain wears the new sprockets, the wear on the new sprockets will shorten the life of a new chain.
I would change the chain now, with the new sprokets.

LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket.   2010  36" Turner Mills band mill.  Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter.  Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator,  Ford L9000 dump truck.  Gardner Denver 190 cfm portable air compressor.  KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
Also, check the chain. Usually the sprockets wear because the chain stretches and rides up on the sprocket teeth.

Point well taken,  A new chain was ordered and will be here Thursday.  When I put it back together, all parts will be new.  Thanks guys for the reminder and advice..... :)

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »

Point well taken,  A new chain was ordered and will be here Thursday.  When I put it back together, all parts will be new.  Thanks guys for the reminder and advice..... :)

Right on MM.
When I had a motorcycle, the sprockets got badly worn and when I went to pick up new ones,
the salesman told me that sprockets and chains should be sold in sets.
So I picked up the set.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »
New sprockets, bearings, keepers, etc. came today.  I had to drill and retap the main drive pulley, but no problem.  The idler sprocket bearing had slipped on it's shaft, so I had to center punch the shaft a bit and also applied fingernail polish.  Not really needed, but now the shaft matches the wife's toes..... :)

The new chain will be in tomorrow, but rain in the forecast means no sawing until next week.

The shaft bearings had been slipping on the shaft for a while, cutting the shaft down.

I center punched the idler shaft and added nail polish.  It won't slip now.

Two happy power feed sprockets.

Online Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »
The idler sprocket bearing had slipped on it's shaft, so I had to center punch the shaft a bit and also applied fingernail polish. 

Learn something new everyday...I would have used LocTite.  Will the parts still come apart easy?  May have to add a bottle of that fingernail polish to my repair arsenal. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Actually the center punch "dinging" was enough to tighten it up.  They make "Green" bearing race sealant, but at $22.50 per bottle.  Nail polish is actually lacquer, and will hold very well.  If/when it needs removing, the normal "persuasion" will remove it.

Offline etkoehn

• Peace
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
Your ever consider getting your bearings, sprockets, chains from a tractor supply type of store. Up were I live we have a lot of tractor dealers and parts stores and they usually keep stuff like that on hand. And usually(not always) cheaper. Plus you wouldn't have to wait a couple days for parts.
 What was suppose to keep the idler from slipping? key, set screw, locking collar?
 Good idea on the nail polish. One back thing about about center punching, or at least what I have experienced. Is it will still probably do it again. But then I never tried nail polish :) maybe that's the trick :)
Farm Boy

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
Sure, many items are available locally, especially hoses, etc.  In this case, since the sprockets were specialty items, and #40 chain was available only in 10' lengths, there was no decision to make.

I called WM from the job site Monday noon.  The parts were in my hands Wednesday AM.  If I had ordered the chain then, I would have gotten it today also.

Since I never schedule over 2 days of sawing per week, I just got other stuff done.  I'll saw that job next week....or the week after.  No I'll be in Florida that week.  Hmmm, maybe the week after that.... ;D :D

Offline etkoehn

• Peace
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
Florida eh? Well drink some good orange juice so you feel good enough to come back to some hard work :D
Farm Boy

Offline Papa1stuff

• Can I trade for an LT70?
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
Magicman,your welcome to stop by my place and give me some pointers ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
036 trouble

Started by tyb525 on Chainsaws

17 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 06:57:20 PM
by tyb525
xx
In Trouble Again.

Started by Duane_Moore on General Board

18 Replies
Last post January 15, 2004, 11:22:22 PM
by Duane_Moore