iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

went sawing today

Started by Quebecnewf, May 13, 2012, 09:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Wanted to go to the mill today but drift ice  looked to be a problrm

Took zodiac out of one cove and slung it over with winch into other cove just outside of brash ice.

1/2 hr later we were in at the mill (see zodiac ) also see ice pans. Sawed for about 4 hrs then tide fell and we had to get out fast. Ice falls down once it touches bottom (don't ask)
Quebecnewf

rambo

After seeing the photos I am speechless. What a different life style you have. Very interesting.

Bogue Chitto

Much different life style than Louisiana.  Looks very interesting.  I like it.  ;D 

Woodey

I have made a couple of trips to Canada, Victoria, Lake Louise, Jasper, Calvary area. Always went when weather was nice.

Looks like a challenge when you get ready to saw for a couple of hours.

What type of trees are you milling up ?
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

markd

I don't see anything that you could saw! Are there any trees around there?
markd

WildDog

Mate you need to write a book....I like extremes but thats taking it to the limit
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

dgdrls

Looks like a "modern" page from the Shackleton Expedition.

Only in Canada!!

DGDrls

Magicman

I had been wondering about you so I was glad to see your post.  Hopefully, you will have time to show us some of this year's progress with the logs.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

We had a good winter at the logs weather wise. We don't cut as much as we used too. Getting older I guess. Still love the work. We have about 200 logs that we will raft up as soon as the drift ice is finished. Now in the process of sawing some black spruce to kiln and make a new floor for the work shop. Small logs a lots of work to dry and dress but should be a fun project. I have about 1/2 of them sawed and in the kiln. Hope to saw the 2nd half in the coming weeks. I will take photos of the job as it goes foward. has anyone else done this with black spruce??

Quebecnewf

wood monger

I live in Michigan which is considered a northern state. Compared to you I'm like in Florida. You have a short period of poor sledding.

davidlarson

wonderful pictures and posts!  This spring I have stayed in the house when it was cool, overcast and threatening to rain, in western North Carolina.  I guess I'll need to buck up and stop whining.  Thanks for the inspiration.
David L.

js2743

Are you sawing to build a Igloo?  :D 8) 8)

customsawyer

This helps to put things in perspective for some of us. Great to have you posting here again.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Migal

Very impressive! Does remind me why I hang my hat in East Texas  8) born and raised in western PA not that cold.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Quebecnewf

Drift ice is now over with for this year. Got the big boat launched a few days ago. Will be sawing over the weekend again. Checking the tide charts to plan my rafting trip down to get the logs I piled last winter near the shore. I have around 200 logs to raft hope it goes well. I will post pics of the project once I get it underway.

Here is a pic of the log rafting route I will take
Quebecnewf

Woodsrover

I took a trip up to Newfoundland and then over to Labrador a few years ago.  I love that area.  My wife is Canadian and I keep asking her if she'd like to move to Newfoundland.  She keeps saying no.  Some day.....

Magicman

Your operation is so different and so interesting from what I normally see.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quebecnewf, how strong are your tides?  I make that to be about a 10 mile trip?  How bad are your seas this time of year?  Looks to me like you've got a mile or 2 where you're pretty exposed.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!