The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Pictures and Ideas for saw dust collection/removal and uses.  (Read 15882 times)

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: Pictures and Ideas for saw dust collection/removal and uses.
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
I use a bucket, also.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline wwsjr

• In Memoriam
  • Think Orange
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
I have been using a 2HP 220V blower for about 6 yrs. Input from mill is 4" flex pipe, output is 4" PVC drainpipe. I blow the dust about 50' from mill where I can use my FEL bucket to move. I have replaced parts of flex a few times using splice and worm clamps.
I have Command Control so pipe is not in my way when sawing.

I used AC vent pipes for connection.

6" screw clamp on mill dust outlet.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
wwsjr, very nice! this is what I have seen.  and what I will do.  How does it work for you?

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
I have a trench beside my mill, 10' wide and 1-1/2' deep, running the full length. When the wind is to my back, I raise the sawdust chute and let the sawdust blow out into the trench. When the wind is in my face, I drop the chute and sawdust piles up on the lip of the trench. I shovel this into the trench (or onto the pile) while the saw is cutting.

The sawdust piles up to a height of 4-1/2' or so before I have to shift it with the front end loader. I just shift it to a large pile near the entrance to the yard and local gardeners/livestock owners/mechanical shops come and help themselves.

I was just about to start moving it last month when a local farmer came by and saved me the trouble ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline wwsjr

• In Memoriam
  • Think Orange
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
The only problem I have had with the blower setup is sawing fresh cut cypress. The wet dust packs in the blower so I have had to remove the pipe and wheelbarrow the dust. I have not had any problem cutting pine, oak, cedar, popular. Overall a big time saver removing the dust.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »
Just an observation and a question for you guys using blowers; would it not make for a much better flow if you modified the standard wood mizer discharge chute so that the 45ish degree elbow was either straight or facing up to decrease pipe length and turbulence in the pipe there by increasing velocity and flow in the tube?

Also there is a flex tube that is used in the oil patch up here for vacuum handling of light dry materials. It has a wire coil in side a tough and slippery cloth that is impregnated with something that lasts and it is light too. will get a picture of the stuff. 
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340 
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Peder McElroy

• Full Member x2
  • New LT 35 and 6 Grandkids , What could be better
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
I like the bucket idea.

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
I hope to someday set up a blower and pipe on mine.

What size/brand/volume of air are you guys using?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
I hate shoveling sawdust. My Mill is 100% fixed bandmill, sawdust is a headache.
I have spent a lot of time trying to devise a satisfactory system of sawdust removal. My setup shown in Okrafarmer's post works fairly well, but there are 2 problems with it..
1...Flex hose tears and breaks all too often, the stuff is expensive...Patch it with black duct tape, but after a while, there's more tape than hose.
2...I off load slabs on the operator side and place them in a rack alongside the mill. The Dang hose gets in the way and gets tangled with the slabs.

The following setup is an ongoing project. The object is to do away with as much hose as possible and get everything up out of the way. I'm down to 2 short pieces of hose, everything else is ordinary old cheap hardware store stove pipe. It's all above head high..

An overview..

There's 3 slipjoints used. One on the bottom of the blower (the intake) one in the middle of the pipe assembley, and one on the top of the chute attached to the mill. The white jug is a hi tech infinitely adjustable counter balance to keep the slip joint on the blower from binding. Add or remove water to adjust.. ;D
There's 2 bungee cords wrapped around the blower slip joint to help the intake pipe to rotate properly.

This is the slip joint in the middle of the pipe. Allows the pipe to bend as the mill travels along the track. The elbows are stove pipe el's.

The remainder of pipe and hose are suspended on a pulley that runs along a clothesline the length of the building.

Before somebody asks, here's how the slip joints are made. Cut out of sheet metal using a fly cutter on a drill press

All the parts..The brown piece is a thick fiber gasket. Inlet pipe is brazed to the leftmost piece. Outlet pipe brazed to the ring shaped part. Stack the pieces in the order shown and bolt together with 4 small bolts..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Lambee10

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
hey guys- been a while:

anyone ever used a 4" pvc pipe with a T or Y in it so the sawdust can be directed into the pipe with a $8 yard sale leaf blower stuck in one end to blow the dust out the other?  It will not move it far but seems like simple enough to get it away from the works.

I just reread this and not sure it make sense but if someone has done it, it will.  Maybe, Kinda.

maybe a swtch in the electric cord to turn it on and off when not cutting.

what cha think?
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »
Lamb
Sounds like you have one. How does it work? and pics pls. ;)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Lambee10

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
hey Beenthere:
Well, I wrote that kind of sheepishly because I was "NASA engineering" a system to move sawdust and was explaining my idea to a farmer I get my hay from (hoping he had a chain system lying around) and he said why dont you use a leaf blower and pipe.  I musta looked confused (I was) and he continued to explain a simple design of putting the blower in one end and as the sawdust dumped into an opening in the pipe it would be blown out the other end.

huh.

so I saw this thread and threw it out there hoping someone had done it.  I dont have it constructed yet but still thinking on it.
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Offline moandrich

• Full Member x2
  • Ignorance is the mother of invention.
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
Tried the bucket after reading here and love it.  Keep a large wheel barrel next to me and just dump bucket when full on the return cycle.  Only problem I have is it hits the tire.
woodmizer lt 40HD
mule 3010

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
At the mill I learned to saw on I installed a vac system. It consisted of a big tractor powered vacuum with heavy steel piping around the mill for the edger, planer and mill. I used flexible vacuum hose hanging from a cable for the mill, with a swivel made from an SDR 35 gasketed elbow with the gasket removed. I drilled each half of the swivel for a bolt and put a spring between them.

Homemade swivel:

Tractor powered vac, later converted to electric:

Here is a shot of the various piping around the mill. I cut a hole in the top of the exhaust chute and put that tan piece of steel pipe on to keep the piping out of the way.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
I have just been shoveling up til now but you guys have got me motivated. I have noticed that ever since I got a hydraulic log turner, I have a lot more bark under the mill thou. Don't think a blower is gunna handle that too well.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Jake, I just take a rake and clean out all the bark under my mill. That's about the best way I have found to clean under a mill.
Unless you're like Magic.....just hook up and drive off.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline Woodchuck53

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 02:39:24 AM »
Morning all. My old homemade works fine but the neatest I saw was a converted Hammer mill that a friend got from a farmer. Changed it over to a 3 hp. electric motor and let her eat. Did well and also handled the odd piece of bark pretty good.

I promise to get some pictures of my rig this time I get back home.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Seeking Opinion On Chip/Dust Collection/Removal

Started by Max sawdust on Drying and Processing

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 11:14:30 AM
by pineywoods
xx
I need some dust collection/air filtering ideas

Started by Daren on Health and Safety

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 10:17:48 PM
by ohsoloco