iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chaps saved my old leg today.

Started by grassfed, March 24, 2013, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassfed

The Chaps in the background protected me for 10 years. The chaps that I am wearing only lasted 1 hr but they saved my leg and maybe my life. I am satisfied!

Mike

thecfarm

Yep,just like putting on a brand new blade on my mill,I'm bound to hit a stop with it. If I have an old worn out one on that is just about done it's sawing life,don't hit any metal with it.  :D   Just a kidding here.   Glad to see you had them on. I suppose the old ones were kinda worn out and you did not trust them as much?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

You know they color those things orange so you don't mistake it for a log right? ;D

$80. well spent then...
well that didn't work

grassfed

I did not trust the old ones they were getting thin and they had ripped at the gusset at the crotch. They were always a little short but I was too cheep to worry about that. Yep I am not worrying about $80 bucks. I think that the old ones were about $60 so lets just say $140 for ten years. I don't think that you can rent a peg leg for $14 per year so I am still ahead. 8)
Mike

thecfarm

The next pair I have will be longer. Mine was fine for awhile,then they seemed to shrink,got shorter???

I will also add to this post, a member said a pair of chaps cost about as much as the co-pay for an emergency room visit. I have never forgot it and tell that to the non chappers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodtroll

I copied your picture and will use it in a chainsaw class we teach.
Sadly as much as we tell people and they hear it they still seldom buy them and wear them.
Can you tell how you cut your chaps, if you don't mind.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Magicman

Sharing near misses could save one of us.  Thanks.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

I'm glad you are all right, thanks for posting that.  I have been made fun of that I always have those silly things on even if just start up the saw for a few minutes.  I usually tell them what I was told by an ER nurse.  Chainsaw cuts look like ground beef, with a lot of extra blood.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thenorthman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 24, 2013, 07:21:12 PM
The next pair I have will be longer. Mine was fine for awhile,then they seemed to shrink,got shorter???

I will also add to this post, a member said a pair of chaps cost about as much as the co-pay for an emergency room visit. I have never forgot it and tell that to the non chappers.
Ah don't waste yer breath I already got steel reinforcement... If it gets me it wont go to deep and I've lost alot of blood before its not so bad, until you get dizzy, and can't seem to remember wick;a way sttii its two the kkroummy... ;D
well that didn't work

DigDug

justallan1

Dom

That could have been ugly!
Pants paid themselves on the first trip!

clww

Glad that you're safe! I need to get myself a pair.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OneWithWood

It definitely pays to take the few seconds to strap them on.  Glad the chaps worked and you are ok.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

lumberjack48

As far back as i can remember on the logging job, about 1956, threw the 60's, 70's, and the 80's i never seen a guy waring chaps. The first pair i bought was in 93 for a guy we had falling for us. The worse saw i ever ran was a 33 McCulloch gear drive. I was 10 yrs old, it was a miracle i didn't cut myself with it. A friend of mine, [ professional feller] was almost killed, the saw jumped up and cut him across the neck and chest. If he would have been alone, he would have bleed to death.
Grassfed I'm sure glad you had chaps on 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

grassfed

Thanks everybody. Did a video today and tried to show what I thought happened.
http://youtu.be/h2LmytKLDbM

I figured if it helps one person it would be worth the time ;D
Mike

beenthere

THAT was one excellent review. Thanks for taking that time and I hope this is a "best seller" on youtube.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

sprucebunny

Glad to hear you're not injured. Must have been scary !

I wrecked a pair of chaps the second day I used them; got clobbered in the knee. I don't run a saw without them or my helmet but I might skip my orange boots for a quick cut in the open or when I'm on snowshoes thinning small stuff.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Geeg

Thanks for that story Mike and awesome video!, good to hear you made it through unscathed. Have been using a chainsaw most of my life but as of today will not cut again until I get my chaps, (proper)gloves and jacket. Guess I have been lucky over the years but at my age, don't need the drama.

Thanks again,
Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

g_man

I was wondering what happened. Great job on that video. It makes for a good lesson for everyone.

Jeff

Outstanding video! We're all grateful that you were okay.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

enigmaT120

Thanks for the video, grassfed.  I've been using chaps for several years now but sometimes I get stupid and just forget to put them on.  Even when they're on top of my saw....

::)
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Slab Slicer

Thank you for sharing that near miss Mike. I'm glad you're ok, and able to get back to it. That video may just make the difference between someone walking out of the woods, or being carried out.

I got my chaps just this past year. I had heard about them, but never bothered. Then I got to thinking, and after hearing that the average chainsaw accident involves around 100 stitches, it was a no brainer. Even with YEARS of experience, it only takes that one little thing to possibly cost you your life. I think I'd rather spend the $80 on chaps than hand the cash over to a hospital.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Thank You Sponsors!