iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Elkem Winch

Started by Elkem1, May 20, 2013, 02:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkem1

My husband bought this old Elkem Winch this past week-end.  Just wondering if anyone had any information on this. Maybe a guess on its value....
He is planning on sandblasting and repainting, the cable looks to be in good condition. It has 4-5 sliders.
It has a plate on it that says the pulling force is 24520 N any ideas what that is?

Thanks

beenthere

elkem1
Welcome to the forum.

That is Newtons, and converts to about 5500 pounds

Where is your general location? A help would be to fill in some of your bio in your profile.

Interesting barn deco arrangement, or is it for daily use?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Elkem1

Thanks for the info. 

We are in NH.  The barn in the photo is from the previous owner.  Not sure about the decorations.  :)

beenthere

Some indication that the Elkem winch is now (or at sometime was) rebadged as a Norse winch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Elkem1,welcome to the forum. It's worth whatever he paid for it.News ones are $3000-5000. I would suggest a piece of flat metal on the outside of the legs. That style went out many years ago. One leg will dig it,the other won't and the tractor comes around sideways. Hard in the winter time to get the winch to dig in and stay put.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Elkem1

Well, that is just it...we only paid $100.00 for it !!!  We will definitely add a plate to the legs . 

Thanks !

ClarkF66

Here are a couple of links to parts manuals for the Norse winches (Sandvik winches they where named over here). Igland bought them out a few years back.

http://www.maskinisten.net/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2378

http://www.maskinisten.net/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2377

You just register on to the site and then you can download free. Even if you can't read the language the pictures are good. 

Thank You Sponsors!