iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To all you Woodmizer owners

Started by JB Griffin, June 18, 2014, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

I'm looking at buying a 2000 model Lt40hyd with a 33hp kubota diesel, command control, autoclutch, lubemizer setworks, dragback(homemade), debarker,and 2700 hours on it.

What I do know needs replaced is the guide roller bearings, and possibly the band wheel bearings unless the idle side is supposed to have slack in it. ;)

What else do I need to look at on these mills as I am not familer with this style of mill.

Thanks in advance. 
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

MartyParsons

Hello,
The idle side will move on the chrome tension rod. You will need to inspect to see where the movement is. Chrome tension rod movement is normal.
The Kubota power plant is a good engine.
This will be a good mill as long and the original owner did some maintenance. 2000 hours is not an issue.
Setworks are ok, some of the parts for setworks are hard to come by. We have not had any we could not repair. You can always upgrade to Accuset 2 it may cost you a few $ but it is an option. You can always unhook the setworks and work it manual if needed. On the standard hydraulic mill you can also add Simple Setworks.  Lots of options.
New blade guide rollers and the idle bearing is less than $ 200.00 in repair cost.
Most of the Kubota engine pulley shields will be cracked and broken, it is also available. 
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

As Marty said, movement in the idle side blade wheel is normal, but when you put a blade on the mill and bring the tension up, you'll most likely have no movement!

From what you've said, sounds like a good mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JB Griffin

Thanks guys I really appretiate it.
I need to sell my Keener Built so I can buy this mill.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

scully

I bought the same mill , never dreamed I would find one . Small issues that you have mentioned don't matter they can be corrected . The unspoken truth ....... best deisel ever on a wood-mizer IMHO !
I bleed orange  .

wills swamp

marty, what causes the engine pulley shield to crack?mine cracked at 500hrs.
wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

MartyParsons

Hello,
Vibration seems to be. I also see the bolts get rusty and some owners fail to put the bolts back on. I think the engineers at WM have solved the issue with the Cat and Yanmar diesels covers. I have not seen any other engine do this as much as the Kubota. If I see one with a small crack starting. I drill the end of the crack and weld up the crack. Seems to help. Sometimes it is just best to get a new cover.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!