iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak On The New Mill

Started by Ludo, July 22, 2014, 07:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludo

A couple of years ago I started to plan a new giant band saw mill.  With the help of a few FF members it finally became a reality this spring.  Here is a Red Oak that was 48" on the butt end and 12' long.  The mill can cut up to 6' wide and 20' long. It runs on a 35hp Vangard motor pushing a 2" blade on 30" wheels. Everything is manual except the blade.   

thecfarm

WOW!!! I would not want to off bear for you. Is that the first log you sawed? Good job on the build!! Must have equipment to move them bigs ones?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Looks good, does it cut straight cutting that wide.  A 2" wide blade should help with that, I'd bet it makes that 35 hp snort.  Also it's hard to tell id you have blade covers on the mill, if not you need them.  I wish I has ambition to build a mill like that but those days are long.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

21incher

Looks great. We need to see more pictures of the mill build if you have any. I never realized a band saw could cut that wide.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ludo

Yes, getting the slabs off the mill is a whole new ball game.  I cut most of the red oak in 2" but a few were 3-4" and they were crazy heavy! I bought an old Michigan 120A to help load the logs, the loader has a gas engine so I can fix it pretty easily.  The Red Oak has been the largest log to date and as you can see it cuts as flat as a marble slab. I have a 5' hard maple and a 5'+ sweet gum, they will really test the waters.  As far as the engine goes, I keep the blades sharp and go about 1ft/5seconds without the engine dropping rpm.  I did not build the mill but rather had a machine shop do it, I'll ask him if it would be ok to share close up pics of the build as much of the engineering is his. One very nice surprise is that it cuts dimensional lumber amazingly well. My old band mill gave wavy cuts in pine/spruce but this beast cuts flat.  I cut 72 2x4x12' from one log at once. I just squared up a 32" log into a 24x24 cant, then cut  (6) 4" slabs, turned them all up on their edge and then cut (12) 2" slabs, boom! 72 2x4's! I'll post more pics later today. 

goose63

That Sir is one fine looking mill you have there 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

4speed

roghair

impressive build; congratulations!
Quote from: Ludo on July 22, 2014, 08:38:25 AM
I cut 72 2x4x12' from one log at once. I just squared up a 32" log into a 24x24 cant, then cut  (6) 4" slabs, turned them all up on their edge and then cut (12) 2" slabs, boom! 72 2x4's! I'll post more pics later today. 
How do you turn all those heavy slabs manually?
built a sawmill

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: roghair on July 22, 2014, 06:09:00 PM
impressive build; congratulations!
Quote from: Ludo on July 22, 2014, 08:38:25 AM
I cut 72 2x4x12' from one log at once. I just squared up a 32" log into a 24x24 cant, then cut  (6) 4" slabs, turned them all up on their edge and then cut (12) 2" slabs, boom! 72 2x4's! I'll post more pics later today. 
How do you turn all those heavy slabs manually?

Hey roghair, how's it going? Haven't heard from you for a while. Aren't you building a mill too?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Nomad

THAT mill is a monster!!! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Delawhere Jack

ozarkgem

Now that is a mill. How about a video? Hope you can post some close ups of the mill. I am thinking a 454 V8 would really make her sing.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ludo

Roghair- The best thing I ever purchased was a Logrite 78" Mega Duty Cant Hook.  I never imagined just how good they are! If anyone has to turn large logs by hand, get one and you too will be a believer!  For the really big stuff I turn a 4"x1" lag bolt into the top side middle of the log (when it is laying on the mill) then I wrap a long log chain 2x's around the whole log, one hook is on the lag bolt and the opposite end attaches to the lip of my tractor bucket. I lift the bucket (and thus pull up on the chain) and the whole log spins as the chain unwinds off the log.  Even the big monster logs shown here spun like a ballerina on point!

The Michigan with a big red oak.  I fabricated some old solid slip on forks to fit the bucket.

Someone wanted a shed made completely of 4x4's for the studs...

Cherry Crotch saved from a firewood pile.

An old ugly white oak that some apologized when they dropped it off. 14' long and 40" wide

My partner "Kay-Kay", AKA sticker-queen (as in wooden stickers)  with the white oak before milling.

White Pine on a hot day.

thecfarm

Those slabs are some impressive. Keep the pictures coming!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

So, like, why don't you post some photos when you cut something big? :snowball:

smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

Quote from: Ludo on July 22, 2014, 07:12:28 AM
The mill can cut up to 6' wide

Can you push the band thru a 6' wide cut?
Show more pics of the mill. It is really a tour de force!
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mikeb1079

:D :D :o :o 8) 8) 8) 8)  good lord!!

i'm loving this thread!!!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

fat olde elf

You have my attention and admiration.  Show us more......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

customsawyer

Where do we place our orders for a mill like that? ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

schakey

Wow as stated before we would love to see more pictures of the mill, and maybe a video.
I bet a video would be a big hit on you tube.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Bill Gaiche

That is one (Dang) large manual mill. Some good engineering went into that machine to saw the lumber you have shown. Those large slabs are impressive. I can tell by the wet tee shirt that the can't hook and thick slabs has given you a work out. Thanks for sharing. bg

logboy

How much would you say you have invested in the mill?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

schmism

Quote from: logboy on July 23, 2014, 11:56:11 AM
How much would you say you have invested in the mill?

If i had to guess at it

30" band wheel kit is 2K
35hp vangard is ~3K

If he salvaged steel from something like an old MH frame,  and had a decent scrap pile for the rest of the steel parts.   Then all thats left is several hundred in misc fasteners etc.

$6500 if none of the major steel was purchased.   If your buying steel, I would expect a similar build to run north of $10K
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Thank You Sponsors!