iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 20 update pictures

Started by tantoy, March 18, 2015, 11:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tantoy

Just some pictures of my Garrett 20 progress.
My original posts are here,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73068.msg1104831.html#msg1104831
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,77322.msg1173268.html#msg1173268
Cab that came with machine when I bought it.

New cab I fabricated looks much more original.

Scratch built muffler that mounts to roof.

Blade is repaired and painted. Have all new hyd hoses ready to install.

Last thing is to resume work on the gearmatic 9.

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

so il logger

Very nice, tan toy. How long before the decal's are wore off?  8)

David-L

Very nice work, that muffler can set up rocks. How does one figure out exhaust back pressure on these Detroits. I had an issue recently that I will share in a new post. Looks great Tantoy.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

sandersen

"Make every step count."

Holmes

Great job nice to see it all fixed up.  8)   Now, how much welding repair did you do to the frame?  :)
Think like a farmer.

treeslayer2003

on the muffler......great job, but will it flow enough? those holes, thats the only flow between the pipes?

Ron Scott

~Ron

North River Energy

47sawdust

tantoy,
Very nice work.Nothing like having a well equipped shop to turn out good work.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

tantoy

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on March 19, 2015, 06:06:31 PM
on the muffler......great job, but will it flow enough? those holes, that the only flow between the pipes?
treeslay,
You cant see in the pictures but I drilled 72  (approximate) 1/2" holes between 45 degrees and 135 degrees at about 2" apart
for 30 ". According to my calculations that is about the same area as a 5" pipe. the tubes in the muffler are 3 5/8" id. The pipe from the manifold to the muffler is 3" id
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

kiko

That is piece of history you have preserved.  Very nice.  Who wants to build hot rods when you can build skidders!?

David-L

tantoy, sounds like it will breath just fine. Very interested in the muffler and how it sounds. Any chance of a video with sound when you get it running up on the gov a bit. Loving this post.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

Awesome job looks very good. Nice to see another one saved from the scrap yards.
Precision Firewood & Logging

tantoy

Quote from: David-L on March 20, 2015, 06:14:05 AM
tantoy, sounds like it will breath just fine. Very interested in the muffler and how it sounds. Any chance of a video with sound when you get it running up on the gov a bit. Loving this post.
Dave,
I tried for about an hour on you tube this morning to upload a video with no success. I will keep trying and update if it works.Thanks for comments
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

Maine logger88

Great job! I would love to do something like that someday
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mad murdock

Excellent fab work on that machine. It is going to be as good as new, only better :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

teakwood

exellent work!  How did you do the conection from the straight pipe into the muffler (silencer)? with a flex hose and clamps? I need to build one for my 540A, hate to work the whole day with ear muffs on, its just to hot here. do you have some more fotos from the muffler? i really apreciate
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

tantoy

Quote from: teakwood on March 21, 2015, 01:17:18 PM
exellent work!  How did you do the conection from the straight pipe into the muffler (silencer)? with a flex hose and clamps? I need to build one for my 540A, hate to work the whole day with ear muffs on, its just to hot here. do you have some more fotos from the muffler? i really apreciate
TW the straight pipe is welded to the silencer box. There is 3" stainless flex from manifold to straight pipe where it goes thru hood.

I have the box bolted to the top of the cab but I am going to put some rubber spacers in between to reduce noise vibration and create a air gap between box and cab lid to dissipate heat.
It still requires ear plugs. I am working on getting some video.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

teakwood

Thanks for the answer.  How thick is the sheet metal you used? The first tube in the silencer (coming from the engine) stops at a metal sheet before it touches the outside wall. Why is that? did you make a hole in this sheet or is it just a dead end? Good idea on the rubbers but can they handle the heat? You still have to use ear muffs? the 540A isnt that loud, i hope to bring the noise enough down to not have to wear ear muffs. Did you have less power with the new muffler? Sorry for so many questions.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

tantoy

Quote from: teakwood on March 21, 2015, 04:13:52 PM
Thanks for the answer.  How thick is the sheet metal you used? The first tube in the silencer (coming from the engine) stops at a metal sheet before it touches the outside wall. Why is that? did you make a hole in this sheet or is it just a dead end? Good idea on the rubbers but can they handle the heat? You still have to use ear muffs? the 540A isnt that loud, i hope to bring the noise enough down to not have to wear ear muffs. Did you have less power with the new muffler? Sorry for so many questions.
TW,
10ga or 1/8" thick. No holes on end plate just dead end no real reason other than it supports the end of the pipe. I bet your Deere engine would be much quieter than my Detroit. I don't like muffs but in almost all equipment or shop work i use ear plugs. I don't know about the power loss cause this is the first time really running the skidder. I cant believe there would be any power loss cause I over sized all pipe and holes in pipe, but again its just an experiment/educated guess.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

tantoy

Quote from: teakwood on March 21, 2015, 04:13:52 PM
TW,
10ga or 1/8" thick. No holes on end plate just dead end no real reason other than it supports the end of the pipe. I bet your Deere engine would be much quieter than my Detroit. I don't like muffs but in almost all equipment or shop work i use ear plugs. I don't know about the power loss cause this is the first time really running the skidder. I cant believe there would be any power loss cause I over sized all pipe and holes in pipe, but again its just an experiment/educated guess.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!