iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Possible issues after upgrading to Windows 10

Started by OneWithWood, August 10, 2015, 11:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

After I upgraded to Windows 10 and the new Edge browser (much nicer than Explorer) I cannot place emoticons in my posts.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  What might the fix be?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

That is done via javascript. I'd say look at the security settings and see if javascript is disabled. Better yet, use firefox.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Java is enabled.  Oh, well, I will just remain emotionless until I figure it out... ;-)
One With Wood

Jeff

Java is not javascript. Two completely different things.  I guess I'd have a hard time thinking it is a javascript issue though, since the web as we know it pretty much revolves around javascripting.

clearcut

I'm using this post smileys on Edge.

https://forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/saywhat.gif

https://forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/clapping.gif

I can copy and paste the URLs but the don't appear in the preview.

Also formatting does not work unless you type in the formatting codes yourself.

Under the three dot menu ... upper right, there is an option to open a page in Internet Explorer.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Jeff

That is not how smilies work. They work with BBC code. You don't paste the url.  If you know the code for the smilies, and type it in your message, they will appear. They do not use the picture url. I suppose you could, if you also used image tags.

The smilies use a script that when clicked on the script puts the correct code in the message body. If you click on the smiley, and you do not see characters for that smiley appear in your post body, then the script is not working in your browser.  Internet explorer was notorious for not working on things when other browsers did. I'd expect no less of any other MS browser offerings.

I know nothing about edge. Is it perhaps a high speed mobile browser that offers no bells and whistles?

clearcut

Edge is Microsoft's new browser that replaces Internet Explorer in Windows 10 - so as people move on to Windows 10, they will be defaulting to Edge. Some people report that even if you had Chrome or Firefox as your default browser, W10 will change the default to Edge. It's an easy setting to tweak back.

When I clicked on a smiley, Edge opened another window with all of the smileys - the [more] window. Clicking on a smiley did nothing. Dragging the smiley did a copy and paste of the URL. I wanted to see if the smiley would appear.

Clicking on a formatting icon does nothing in Edge.

It appears that Edge somehow breaks the javascript(?) that translates a click on an icon into BBCode in the editing window. Other forums are reporting similar results. I have not found a solution posted other than to wait for Microsoft to update or switch to another browser. You can switch from Edge to IE using the 3 dot menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen. The BBCode works fine. Edge has some nice features and is fast on W10. Hopefully MS will support web standards eventually.  :D

I like W10 so much better than W8.1.

Jeff

I've been waiting for my "reserved copy" to become available on my laptop. No notification as of yet after a week.

Ianab

You can download your own copy of Win10 from MS
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Burn that to a DVD and you can then do a clean install of Win10, using your existing windows key.

I suggest people do download and burn the disk anyway. If your PC crashes you can then reload 10 without going through the 8 --> 10 upgrade rigmarole.

They say the upgrade is valid for 12 months, but after that you still need a way to reload your machine if you get a disk failure or virus and need to rebuild it from scratch. That ISO / disk will be the way to do it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on August 12, 2015, 03:33:39 PM
I've been waiting for my "reserved copy" to become available on my laptop. No notification as of yet after a week.
I did the first click the other day and it said it would tell me when it was ready.  Today, I clicked on the icon again and it said I could go on to step 2 (no notifications).  I did and I am now on Win10.  I use Firefox but I thought I would give Edge a try.  I went to the "import bookmarks from other browser" and all it shows in Internet Explorer (which I don't use).  If someone has figured out how to import from Firefox, I'd like to know how!  I'd like to give MS another shot at getting a browser that works right.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

clearcut

These folks have figured out a work around to get bookmarks from Firefox into Edge. Export the Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file. Then import that HTML file into IE or Chrome. Finally import the IE bookmarks into Edge.

Detailed steps:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1403680/how-to-import-chrome-firefox-and-internet-explorer-bookmarks-into-microsoft-edge

Edge will likely get better over time. Or just use continue to use Firefox.

beenthere

Just received the "invitation" today to reserve my copy of Win 10. A bit nervous whether I want to do it. Likely will, as I hear it cleans up and speeds up the computer. Just that I've never enjoyed the experience of switching over to any new system.

XP was my old system that I liked.. but when Mrs. BT needed a new computer, she got Win Vista which turned out to be a nightmare. Had hers switched to Win 7 and it has been better.

I needed a new system when XP was jerked. Got Win 8.1.
Didn't like the desktop (too much like a Mac) and Ianab suggested loading classicshell to emulate the XP. Did and like that a lot.

Now not sure what will be needed after I switch to Win 10. 
My youngest brother was here the last two days, and he said definitely go for Win 10.

Dilemma... but what is new.

Appreciate any tips or suggestions from anyone.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

From the brief play I had with Win10 it seems fine. They have gone back to a start button, desktop and menu again and it seems fast and stable.

But I don't really see any advantage to upgrading from Win 7, except that you will be 2 OS versions ahead, and so the version is going to be supported for that much longer. Win7 is planned to be supported to 2020, while Win 10 gets updated until 2025.

So if you expect your machine to do another 5 years, probably a good idea to update.

You have another ~10 months to decide before they shut down the free upgrade option.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clearcut

I'm running Windows 10 on a cheap tablet. The tablet barely meets the minimum specs that W10 can be installed on. I have to say that Windows 10 is vastly superior to 8.1 in this context. I had pretty much written the tablet off as unusable under 8.1. When I had the tablet replaced under warranty (bad USB port), I used the fresh machine to try W10.

Windows 8.1 did neither the tablet mode nor desktop mode very well. On this small tablet desktop mode was essentially unusable. The touch targets were too small to hit consistently even with a stylus. Tablet mode in W10 is much more finger friendly.

I like Cortana, the voice recognition system. I find the voice recognition very accurate, in the high 90% range. However the things that Cortana can do are limited. For example, Cortana cannot take a Note (in OneNote for example) it tells you to check back after an update. Cortana will take a timed reminder though. There is also no way to dictate into an application.

I like the "Hey Cortana" feature where you can just speak to the tablet. If the question is simple, what is the weather for tomorrow, or what are the hours for a particular store, Cortana will answer directly. More complex questions get redirected to Bing. Search in general and Cortana in particular, seem to be a good way of navigating W10.

I like that search works for settings. So far I have been able to jump right to some of the difficult to find settings.

I do not like the automatic updates. This evening everything slowed to a crawl, and then the table suddenly rebooted. An automatic update had taken the tablet over. It could at least warn you when an automatic update is in progress.

W10 is worth a try. I believe you can revert to 8.1 within 30 days of trying W10 if you don't like it.

petefrom bearswamp

Tried twice to download but it failed both times.
Any suggestions?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

They still have many kinks to work out before I try it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

Quote from: Ianab on August 20, 2015, 11:21:44 PMWin7 is planned to be supported to 2020,   You have another ~10 months to decide before they shut down the free upgrade option.
That being the case, I'll probably just let this laptop stay with 7.  I hate the thought of fixing what ain't broke.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clearcut

QuoteTried twice to download but it failed both times.

The failed install should have given you an error message. Search Google for "Windows 10" and that error message's exact wording. Putting "Windows 10"  in quotes reduces references to other versions.

In my case the initial install failed because of insufficient room on the main drive. I moved the install directory to another drive and ran it from there.

One suggestion is to use the Media Creation Tool, to download the update and burn it to a DVD or flash drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

21incher

Well win 10 was running great for a couple of weeks and today on startup I get this message and nothing works

" CRITICAL ERROR  start menu & cortana aren't working. Will try to fix it next time you sign in."

Had to hold the power button down to shut down & restart it and the same thing happened again. Finally had to hold down the shift key while restarting to enter the restore menu and start in the safe mode that seemed to fix it. I think the constant updates it does causes other problems. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

OneWithWood

Been getting the same error message the past few days.  I just sign out and sign back in and it goes away.  Probably a bug in the latest update.
One With Wood

clearcut

This "Critical Error" seems to be affecting many people, and appears to be tied to an automatic update. Thank you Microsoft.

The solution that appears to work for many, but not all, is to reboot into Safe Mode (press F8 while booting). Allow any updates to complete and then reboot in normal mode. The problem may reappear however.

QuoteTo get into safe mode

From Hold the Shift key down while you press the Power icon and select Restart.
Once you are within the Windows Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, thenStartup Settings, and Restart.
When it restarts, you should see a number of options.  Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.
Once you sign into your account in Safe Mode, you're done.  Just restart your PC to return to a normal boot.

Some others also suggest to update the Avast anti virus software if you have it installed.

sawguy21

I just finished installing Win 10, what a pain in the patoot. It has been downloading and installing since MONDAY everything came to a halt when the computer went into sleep mode. I had to go through a bunch of hoops to set up defaults this morning just so I could log in to FF. I hope Ian is right about it being good for another 10 years, by that time I likely won`t remember how to turn the computer on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

petefrom bearswamp

I did finally get it installed.
Hated it.
Had my tech guy remove it after 2 weeks and reinstall windows 7
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DR Buck

I put Windows 10 on 3 desktops over Christmas ( Two Windows 7 to 10, and 1 Windows 8.1 to 10) and all 3 went flawless.   I'm liking Windows 10 a lot.   I've had no hangups with programs and other than having to back-door my favorites from Windows 7 into Edge everything is good.      I like Edge as it doesn't do weird stuff in places like Facebook that give me grief with Explorer and Foxfire.

I'm sold on using Edge for now........ Except for the posting Smileys problem mentioned by OWW at the beginning of this thread.   I guess there is still no solution ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught