The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: New customer, fired customer.  (Read 7419 times)

Offline gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: New customer, fired customer.
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
  The issue in the OP was not if Customsawyer's blade maintenance equipment was capable of re-profiling the blades. More as, it was not cost- effective labor wise to do so versus the cost of a new blade. By them time the blade was re-profiled, the over all width would be too narrow and this also equates to the loss of tooth heat treatment. These factors would negate the re-profiling of these hand sharpened blades.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »
Seems to me it boils down to this:  If you can sharpen your bands with a hand held tool, that's good.  If it is as good as new or better, that's great, but if it turns out that you find out that you have bands that are now messed up, either fix them on your own or throw them away, because not many people are going to take on fixing your mistakes.  That's just my take on it your results may differ.  ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline Nomad

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Bill's Mill Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
Seems to me it boils down to this:  If you can sharpen your bands with a hand held tool, that's good.  If it is as good as new or better, that's great, but if it turns out that you find out that you have bands that are now messed up, either fix them on your own or throw them away, because not many people are going to take on fixing your mistakes.  That's just my take on it your results may differ.  ;)  Banjo

X2
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Offline Cazzhrdwd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
I have to sharpen hundreds of blades per year, I don't sharpen them myself, I send them to Woodmizer in NY. What I don't understand is why so many of you would waste time sharpening when it only cost about 9.00 a blade to have them sharpened. I don't know how long it takes to sharpen one but if it takes 30 minutes are you guys making 18 dollars an hour? I just can't see how it would possibly be worth it. Add to that sharpening them without the proper equipment? I really don't get it.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Offline deadfall

• I'm old, sorta!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
While I will never come out on it, I still intend to buy someone's sharpening and setting system eventually, whether new or used.   I just plain like doing blades.  I like boards that are smooth, right off the mill.

I just bought another stripped down travel trailer frame from Craigslist.  The plan is to make a mobile tool shed that can travel with the mill, even if I never go mobile again.  I have no covered space for a sharpener setup, so there's the plan.  I bought a brand new Folley Bellsaw SharpAll for a killer price last year (again Craigslist), and I can put that in there as well and grind my buzz saw blades too. It's not yet been out of the box.  I just love to sharpen all kinds of things. 

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »
I have to sharpen hundreds of blades per year, I don't sharpen them myself, I send them to Woodmizer in NY. What I don't understand is why so many of you would waste time sharpening when it only cost about 9.00 a blade to have them sharpened. I don't know how long it takes to sharpen one but if it takes 30 minutes are you guys making 18 dollars an hour? I just can't see how it would possibly be worth it. Add to that sharpening them without the proper equipment? I really don't get it.

I have to agree with this.
I know its fun trying new ways to do things such as sharpening blades.
And for you guys that sharpen your own blades, I'm sure you have a very good reason and I respect your choice.
When it comes to me, my faith is in the resharp program with Woodmizer.
I don't worry about hook, set, angles, cracks, shipping or any of that stuff. My time is to valuable to worry about blades.
I can depend on WM to have me sharp blades all the time...and thanks to their resharp program, I make more money and have more family time.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline Kingmt

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2015, 08:52:24 PM »
I make about $20 an hour & have to drive an hour & a half to get there. I hear it takes about 10 minutes a blade so yeah it would be worth my time. Besides that I like to stay as independent as I can. Also have you ever heard a penny saved is a dollar earned? Saving money is easier then having to go out & get another one. However if you can make it faster then you can spend it then by all means.

I've seen sawers that say they won't mess with having blades resharpened. That the wood they cut is to expensive to take the chance with them & it isn't cost effective for them to take the time to mess with them.

So to each there own. Everyone has to decide what is best for them.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Offline Cazzhrdwd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
I make about $20 an hour & have to drive an hour & a half to get there. I hear it takes about 10 minutes a blade so yeah it would be worth my time. Besides that I like to stay as independent as I can. Also have you ever heard a penny saved is a dollar earned? Saving money is easier then having to go out & get another one. However if you can make it faster then you can spend it then by all means.

I've seen sawers that say they won't mess with having blades resharpened. That the wood they cut is to expensive to take the chance with them & it isn't cost effective for them to take the time to mess with them.

So to each there own. Everyone has to decide what is best for them.

I understand what you're sayin but a piece of equipment that cost 30-40 thousand demands a certain wage. 20.00 per hour does not pay for a sawmill business. I quit doing custom saws because the work wasn't consistent. I found out what was needed in the wholesale lumber market and went there.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »
But when you're retired X2, and old, and your mill doesn't owe you anything, it's a good thing to be able to do your own blades!  ;)

Takes me about 10-15 minutes to set a blade, then about 4-5 minutes to run it around the sharpener!

Now, don't get me wrong, a resharp service is a wonderful service to have available, and if you're really busy sawing, it makes sence to use it!

Where abouts are you located, Cazzhrdwd?

With your username, sounds like somewhere near Cazenovia!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Kingmt

• Share Post
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Cazzhrdwd
I don't have any of the sharpening equipment. If I try it then it would be by other means then the fancy sharpeners that I've seen. I also don't do this as a business. I just saw for myself to save money on lumber.

Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 09:52:07 PM »
Good point Chuck.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
It is a personal choice what to do with your time.  For me, it is not about the money spent or saved, but rather what I choose to do with my time when I am not sawing.  It DanG sure ain't sharpening.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Cazzhrdwd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2015, 11:15:31 PM »

Where abouts are you located, Cazzhrdwd?

The miserable BLUE state of Maryland.

Offline Cazzhrdwd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »

Now, don't get me wrong, a resharp service is a wonderful service to have available, and if you're really busy sawing, it makes sence to use it!

Agreed.

Offline Cazzhrdwd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
Cazzhrdwd
I don't have any of the sharpening equipment. If I try it then it would be by other means then the fancy sharpeners that I've seen. I also don't do this as a business. I just saw for myself to save money on lumber.

You'll be surprised at how quickly it grows, we truly have the best job a man can have, besides being a race car driver. :) seems that would be just a bit more fun.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
Time is exactly  why I sharpen my own blades. I don't have time to take my blades off and put another on.
I don't have time to box them up. I don't have time to run them to the post office.
I just grab my dermel and sit on the saw for a few min. and I'm done. Very fast and cheap.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline JustinW_NZ

• Just Hacking and stacking.
    • Share Post
    • Logs2Lumber
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2015, 04:47:34 AM »
Just had the same thing funnily enough, local guy rang me up and was asking how many resharps I get before breaking.
15 or so and I never break them, they end up to thin and we toss them was my reply.. (1 1/2 bands)

Turns out they get 5 max and the bands have multiple cracks by them...
He bought one around and the drag style grinder wasn't cleaning out the gullet, so I would think it would be effecting saw performance and B was just crack material waiting to happen..
This is more operator fault or setup that the style of grinder/grinding....

8 passes around the CBM grinder it looked like a WM 10deg band again...
Was easy to figure out it wasn't economic to reset his ones from my side as the CBN wheel wear wouldn't have been good along side the time to let them run...

Do I think his resharpens were cheap - yes, do I think they are cost effective - NO!!
In NZ we don't have a resharp service or anything close to it, so its a must to do it yourself or have someone near by.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2015, 07:46:15 AM »
I can sharpen a box of 10 in an hr. That's making over $100.00 an hr. and I can push the set where I want it. :) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
And when Peter sharpens that box of 10 five times each he has saved himself $500.00.  Do that for 3 boxes of blades and he could pay for a pretty decent machine.  I am not hardly as quick as he is, but the math is the same.   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
And when Peter sharpens that box of 10 five times each he has saved himself $500.00.  Do that for 3 boxes of blades and he could pay for a pretty decent machine.  I am not hardly as quick as he is, but the math is the same.   ;)  Banjo

The WM setter and sharpener payed for itself in less than a year. $4,500.00
And I,m only on my 2# CBN wheel.
I'm happy with the set up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
new customer

Started by woodmills1 on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 09:27:33 AM
by Meadows Miller
xx
new customer

Started by woodmills1 on General Board

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2016, 11:51:41 PM
by starmac
xx
The customer wants to have a go!!

Started by Octoman on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post August 08, 2005, 10:56:11 AM
by Engineer
xx
Customer map

Started by Brad_bb on Norwood Sawmills USA Inc.

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 01:44:10 PM
by Mike@Norwood