iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler EFI Diagnostic Software / UPDATE 1-27-17

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 25, 2017, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

For those of you that have the EFI Kohler Engine on your mill and it takes the software to find problems,
heres a really good You Tube class on how to use it.
I'm learning it now and plan on getting the software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvnLro8o_yQ
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

I would never own a small engine that needs a software program to fix it.

Never...

I bought a JD tractor that had a computer on it.
I sold it as fast as I could... No thanks... Great when it works...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

After your last experience I understand the Kohler tech reps for the surrounding 5 states refer people to you when the basic troubleshooting doesn't solve their problem. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ga Mtn Man

How far will you be willing to travel with your new Kohler On-site Diagnostics business?  :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 26, 2017, 08:14:02 AM
How far will you be willing to travel with your new Kohler On-site Diagnostics business?  :)
GMM, We might have to form a LT40 convoy to Rock Hill :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 26, 2017, 09:30:56 AM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 26, 2017, 08:14:02 AM
GMM, We might have to form a LT40 convoy to Rock Hill :D

Its just a matter of time.  :D
The software only works on a PC. I have Apple. So I'm gonna have to get a PC.  >:(

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 26, 2017, 12:08:57 PM
I have a PC...come on over.
I pretty sure GMM will soon be able to diagnose his Kohler engine remotely from a Cracker Barrell :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Jeff

I would never own a bonfire funnel.
Never...
  ;D ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Percy

Quote from: Jeff on January 26, 2017, 12:29:39 PM
Never...
  ;D ;)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ox

I'm an ignorant hick.  What is a bonfire funnel?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jeff on January 26, 2017, 12:29:39 PM
Never...
  ;D ;)

That was a good one... Smile.... :D
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Computer nerds trying to take over the world, they almost have it by the short hairs now. How complicated is a small engine to troubleshoot.?? I want a dumb machine where I call the shots. The new stuff will rat on you if you don't give it what it wants. We already have wives to tell us what to do. Rant subsided. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kbeitz

In the old days when you car quit you could open the hood
and get it going again to get home... Today you walk.
How do you call that progress ? Guess I'm getting old.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

So......it's an inside joke.  I guess it's too good to share with your fellow forumites?   ??? ;)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OKIE DOKIE Y'all...

I didn't cry on this thread like the other one.  :D :D :D
Last Friday my Kohler engine went out. I knew what to do but could not find anyone with the computer software.
Kohler and Woodmizer helped me track down the closest shop that had it.
The guys that fixed my engine the last time has now made a policy that they don't work on Kohler engines if its on a sawmill.......thats going to hurt them.  ;D
The closest shop is 4 miles away and has the software but nobody was familiar with it.
I went to this shop, "FOURMANS ENGINE REPAIR" and they let me walk in the work area and talk specifically to the guy that has the software. He is simi retired and a super nice guy....around 70 years old. He makes house calls.  8),
In fact the first time out, he couldn't figure anything out. Just not familiar enough with the computer and software.
I rolled the dice and said go ahead and just order me a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I told him it was doing the same thing as before. He trusted my opinion and ordered it.
In the mean time, he called Kohler and got some very good advice on the phone.
And me, I found the video on YOU TUBE on how to work the software......I studied it 3 nights in a row until I knew it!
My TPS came in this afternoon and Ron from Fourman's came out immediately.
We hooked the PC up with the software and it told us YES.....the TPS was bad. I got lucky, I was right.
We took everything apart, installed the new TPS and put it all back together.
Cleared the codes and reset everything to sync.
Set the rpm's to 1500. We also put on a new O2 sensor and 2 new plugs since they were fouled.
Told the ECU that it had been fixed and she fired up like a brand new engine and works like a dog.
Total bill: $0.00......not one penny!!!!!  :o :o :o
Kohler said the TPS should not have went out again in less than a year and they warranted it even though there is a 90 warranty on parts.
Fourman's said they are not charging me because it was a great learning experience and this is valuable to their business.
The good thing is me, Woodmizer and Fourman's got are heads together without getting excited and fixed a problem.
Back to sawing in the morning!  :)

Note: Although I didn't get upset I was a little sick at the beginning. I didn't tell anybody but 2 people other than me.  :D :D :D Thanks to you 2 for listening.  :) :) :)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Quote from: Jeff on January 27, 2017, 10:41:25 AM
Sure. :)
Campfire chimmey topic. I'll find the link.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,91806.msg1413550.html#msg1413550
Thanks for that - an interesting post.

Poston - I'm glad you're getting so good with your engine.  Becoming proficient, you may find yourself with a little side business diagnosing and fixing those Kohlers!  Off the books, of course.  It's all favors and donations, don't ya know?  ;)

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Glad you got some experience with the soft ware. I think I used it twice since we purchased it. So I would be the same at the Kohler tech. Relearn every time we use it.
         We had a local customer come in today. Said he has not run his mill since last December.  :o Engine started and ran fine for a few min. Then shut down. It started again for 15 min then shut down. I asked him when was the fuel purchased  ??? He said well - - - -. So I am guessing it was before December 2015. I am sure PotsonLT keeps fresh fuel in his engine. I gave him a used fuel pump to try to see if that is the issue.
    But here is a warning. Run your mill every month, change the fuel every 30 days with regular gas and 60 days with Super. Non ethanol fuel is good, you really dont need it if you cycle your fuel.   Fuel treatment is ok but does not last forever. ( forever is a long time) . You don't need to saw with the mill, start it up let the engine reach operating temp. Move the saw head back and forth, lube the fittings, put some ATF on the surfaces, run the hydraulics.
Do this and life will be good.  :)

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 27, 2017, 08:05:19 PM
I am sure PotsonLT keeps fresh fuel in his engine.

Marty

Always fresh fuel. My mill saws everyday except Sunday.  smiley_chop

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!