iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood gauge ideas?

Started by John Mc, August 26, 2017, 10:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Quote from: John Mc on August 26, 2017, 01:49:55 PM

I've already got a 3D printer. Just can't think of what I might print to help out with this.

BTW, what kind of 3D printer did you get?

I'm thinking something with a small hole to hold your bent wire similar to current geometry.  There would then be two detents in this piece.  This would be topped by a cover that would be attached with a small machine screw (#8 maybe) and spring loaded with a light spring to hold the wire in detent position while in use. 

Getting a Prusa I3 MK2.  Single color for now, but may get the multicolor upgrade once I get the hang of it.

I use Red's measuring stick a lot.  Been stacking small stuff in 6' lengths along fencelines to cut to length later.  Saplings work good for this.  Keep meaning to bring some PVC with me though as it's harder to loose.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Engineer

I cut everything to 20".  I have marks on each of my saws that indicate 20" from the tip of the bar.  I don't change bar lengths anymore so the marks are consistent.  On my smaller saw, 20" is right to the sight line on the clutch cover of the saw.  I 'highlighted" it with a black marker on the red paint.  On my larger saw, I made a mark across the bar on both sides at 20", because it's a 24" bar.  I just measure from the bar tip and make the cut.  It is sometimes awkward rotating the saw 90 degrees for every cut, but generally not a big deal.

I have given consideration to using sidewalk chalk or paint with a 20" stick or dowel, but haven't gotten around to that yet.  The other slick gadget I saw recently is this:

http://www.3ott.com/ott-accu-stick.html

Looks like it will work on any saw and on either side of the bar.

Crusarius

I really like roxie's setup. but it would involve placing the log on the template. I am sure someone can find the thread. I am not so good at that.

NWP

Cut a small piece of wood however long you want your firewood. I used to use a piece of an old broom handle. Go along the log with the stick and using spray paint put a dot every 16" or however long your stick is. One can of paint will do a lot. I did this for years to get uniform lengths before I got a processor. No reason to overthink it and no need for any gadgets that will only get in the way
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

pinefeller

large bar pattern huskys have a hole drilled in the bottom of the felling dogs above the chain catch, i thread a car antenna through with a small nut on the back. i have many saws so when its "firewood" time i just bolt it on one of them and go. yep, its a little inconvenient but marking takes more time. the other widget i some times use is a shortened up paint marking gun with a rod sticking out of the side for length.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

UN Hooker

This is what I've been using for many years. For me, it works very well.

It dos not get in the way when bucking wood as it will bend out of the way and spring right back straight.

I can use it to measure from both directions cutting on the log.

This is what I made them out of. It's 1/4" type 66 Nylon, a stainless piece machined to replace the front bar nut, the other end a slip fit for the nylon and the OD turned for a tight fit for a spring. I just prick punch one spot on the thin sleeve to hold the nylon in place. It only takes a few seconds to remove the nut and attach the stick or remove the stick and replace the nut.
    UN

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

John Mc

UN Hooker -

I like that design. The flexible material and the spring add something that none of the commercially available products has.

Have you ever thought of selling them?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

UN Hooker

John Mc
  Have you ever thought of selling them?

Not lately, Too many projects, so little time!!!
          UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

HolmenTree

I had that same setup With the bar nut ,spring and 3 different length nylon rods. Bought it off Bailey's years ago. But they do end up breaking in the real world and I just never bothered replacing them.
But I do like your version UNhooker :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

UN Hooker, now that I think of it I left off where you improved on it :D
I bought several versions over the years. First was 3 fiberglass rods 14" 16" 18" each mounted in a spring like yours but bolted under the saw by the top handle screws.
That setup allowed the fiberglass rods to eventually shatter and break out of the springs. Never replaced it.
The 2nd version had the nylon rods in 3 lengths like yours inserted in a special bar nut. After a day or so in freezing temps all 3 rods broke off from their nuts.
Now a 3rd version like yours with a spring would have prevented that.
Good engineering, trouble was for me about that time I got out of firewood and into residential tree removal.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!