iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on Spacing of Bar Tightening Holes

Started by forcemac, April 08, 2021, 05:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forcemac

I have recently started experimenting with Chainsaw Milling with a Rancher 460 and 24" bar.   The mill i have is a 36" Granberg, but I found that with the 24" bar I am limited to about 18-18.5" inch cuts.   I thought I'd upgrade the bar to 36" and max out the mill with the Rancher 460 as I wait for a 395xp to be in stock at a local dealer. (been waiting 6 weeks already, just got told its another 2).  

Anyways,  I bought a Granberg Titanium Pro 36" bar with the Husqvarna spacer thinking everything would fit, but it appears the clutch cover won't go back on because the bar tightening post does not line up with the receiving holes on the new 36" bar.   From what I can tell, my stock 24" bar that came with the 460 has two holes for the bar tightening post spaced approx 7/8" apart.  The newer 36" bar appears to be 1 1/8" spaced apart.   

I researched the best I could on drive lengths and the adapter before I bought the bar, but this measurement I was not aware off.  How do I watch out or find out the what spacing of these holes should be for a particular power head?   

I suspect the rancher 460 does not have the "professional" arrangement of the bar tightening spacing in the clutch cover that bigger or pro level models have.  I was planning on jumping to a 395xp or the 3120 so I hope the new bar would fit either of those...but not sure how to tell.

sawguy21

There are two mount patterns for Husqvarna saws, three if you count the Chinese built Poulans. Your 460 uses the small one and nobody makes a bar over 24" with it. You will be fine with the bigger saws.
Forget trying to mill with that saw, it doesn't have the power required. You will quickly wear yourself and  the saw out. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

forcemac

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 08, 2021, 06:47:37 PM
There are two mount patterns for Husqvarna saws, three if you count the Chinese built Poulans. Your 460 uses the small one and nobody makes a bar over 24" with it. You will be fine with the bigger saws.
Forget trying to mill with that saw, it doesn't have the power required. You will quickly wear yourself and  the saw out.
Thanks Sawguy.  
.Knew the 24" was already pushing the 460 in a CSM scenario but i needed to start with something to see if I wanted to keep going down the milling path and jumping right into 395xp or the 3120 seemed it bit too much 6 months ago.  Should have just done in it hindsight.

The 36" bar for the 460 was a stop gap idea until 395 or 3120 arrived.   I have a 6' oak that is 19-20" around that I can't quite get the 24" bar down after you subtract distance lost to the the nose guard and the rollers on the inside.   Figured I might be able to run the 36" /460 on it just the one time for for that 19-20" cut.    

Tacotodd

If you don't mind an Oregon bar, then you can always use a 280RNDKO95.

It's not "cataloged" for that saw, but that's the longest that they show in your particular mount.

That's all according to my 2018 Oregon catalog.
Trying harder everyday.

lxskllr

Dogs don't look very big on that saw, but taking them off will give you a bit more cut, and if the live edge appearance isn't critical, perhaps you could trim the edges with an axe.

forcemac

Quote from: lxskllr on April 09, 2021, 06:19:57 PM
Dogs don't look very big on that saw, but taking them off will give you a bit more cut, and if the live edge appearance isn't critical, perhaps you could trim the edges with an axe.
Appreciate the tips, however the dog has already been removed and have put the stock thrust plate back on....the roller plate takes up another inch.   Gonna try to mill it tomorrow....its close but there is a small knot and another undulation that probably requires 20-21" and all i can eek out is 18 3/4.   I probably will end up taking the edging mill to the side.... 

Spike60

I gotta ask a dumb question. What's up with so many guys wanting to mill with small homeowner saws? (I realize that in this case it's a temporary choice until a bigger saw arrives.) But I get someone in here every week looking to do this just because chainsaw milling has somehow become fashionable. Last week a guy came in looking for a rip chain for his Husky 440. All 41cc's of it! Told him the saw is far too small for milling and there is no .325 rip chain and the answer was, "What's .325?" Difficult to have a conversation with some of these folks because they have little to no real life woods experience; just what they've seen online. But it can be fun. I like to ask, "What are you gonna build?" And they usually have no idea; just want to make some lumber. No harm really if they already have a 70cc+ saw to work with. But if they don't, they usually recoil from the idea of spending $1000 to make a few boards.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

mike_belben

youd probably be better to open up a brand new .325 standard chain, toss it on the grinder, add a sharpening fee and send him on his way.  it wont take long until he is looking for a 70cc saw, big bar AND ripping chain.

if i have to guess at the causation, im gonna say its people who have lived predominantly clean indoor lives and not found fulfillment indoors yet.. who are seeking it elsewhere.  they see a glimmer of hope on youtube and want to take a stab at finding outdoor satisfaction.  weve seen lots of indoor professionals here asking how to become outdoor professionals over the years.  nothing wrong with that.   better late than never. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!