iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Fair Trade?

Started by Magicman, January 28, 2013, 09:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

A lot better stickering and stacking job can be done when all the material is sawn and crudely sorted, so the sizes can next be sorted for thickness, length and even grade. A pile stickered with all the long lengths or better grade on the bottom, with shorter and lower grade as the pile gets higher makes good sense to me.
Otherwise, the stickering off the saw gets a bit haphazard IMO. I can see the way MM saws, those 2x's are coming off the saw fast and furious so just moving sawn material away from the saw takes a good off-bearer. Stickering would require at least one more person and possibly two to keep up with that hot MM production maching.

I do take the extra time when splitting firewood to carefully make my pallet of 7 layers of green split firewood that then just requires the forks to move them to the drying yard for a two to three year wait to be burned. But it takes extra time to do that and the splitter is just idling away while I take the time to stack.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tree Feller

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2013, 03:49:10 PM
Stickering would require at least one more person and possibly two to keep up with that hot MM production maching.

It was stickered, just not well enough. I don't think adding a couple more stickers per layer would have taken all that much time.

I just thought there might have been a good reason why the customer didn't sticker it properly the first time. His business I guess.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Send them to the Dave Shepard School Of Stickering  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2013, 03:49:10 PM
... I do take the extra time when splitting firewood to carefully make my pallet of 7 layers of green split firewood that then just requires the forks to move them to the drying yard for a two to three year wait to be burned. But it takes extra time to do that and the splitter is just idling away while I take the time to stack...

Ah, but I bet you get that extra time back when you look at the entire project.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

wideslabber

i thought fair was when each party walked away sastified with the deal :].
843 bobcat,5ton hiab,97ltsh40,twin powered3120 husky alaskan mill w/51inch bar

reride82

Welcome Wideslabber!

Pull up a stump and tell us about yourself  ;D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

thurlow

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on January 29, 2013, 10:17:18 AMLynn where can I get one of those tee shirts for my tail man?
He is a good worker and reliable as He comes on short notice.
I only saw 2 or 3 days a week and in warm weather. Pete

You can buy iron-on tee shirts transfers at Walmart for either dark or light colored shirts;  they probably won't hold up to constant washing, but for minimal wear, they work great.  I've made bunches of 'em for special family event and gifts for special occasions.  Last one I did was last Sunday for an older gentleman in our church;  he's 'consumed' with Maria Sharapova and after she lost in the Australian Open, I printed "Best Wishes, Billy;     
Love, Maria" on a google-image picture and gave it to him.  Any decent inkjet printer will print them. (Be sure to select "mirror/reverse image" when setting up the print page)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Thank You Sponsors!