iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle blades from down under

Started by zombie woods, January 30, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie woods

I been flat out beat ,
trying to cut 22 inch dia old greenheart pilings  , I am convinced that the stuff is too hard and too full of silica to tackle with 1.25 or 1.5 inch thin kerf band mills , carbide and stelite blades  included .

yet a Peterson mill with a 26 inch blade and  5 ! carbide teeth will rip through it all day long ,
How can blade technology so simple and so different work so well ?
Rip chains with 2 teeth every 11 inches that rip through 5 foot wide mahogany logs just fine .
5 teeth seems to fly in the face of blade technology 101 .

Seaman

I agree. When I first got my Lucas, lots of sawmillers told me it could not work, and I should find a "real" sawblade to adapt to it! Having fun learning how to use it and the slabber.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

woodyone.john

I am sure there is a formula about feed speed and depth of cut etc but on my swing blade 6 teeth was quick and easy to sharpenor touch up and it really used to eat wood. same with skip tooth bands on the little band saw in the workshop.So with the woodmizer you need it all tuned up so you can CUT wood,not sort of shove it around. Sort of like to many cooks in the kitchen....... . cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Solomon

I've been cutting green pilon since I bought my band mill 6 years ago.
No problems.   I have been using Munkfor blades.   229 inches  long , inch and a half ,  7/8 between teeth.  I think the tooth angle is 12°   but I will double check that because I am not 100%   sure.
   I cut about 125 boards 8ft long average 10 inches wide with one sharp blade.   Using off road diesel in my drip system.   Also, resharpened bades seem to more than new ones.   Don't have a clue as to why.  Still scratching my head over that one.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!