iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WV Catfish 2024

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 03, 2024, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

After leaving Jake's I went to see my 98 y/o aunt on Lake City about 3 hours away and spent a couple nights and one day with her and my cousin then went to my old home place near Century Fla about 40 miles N of Pensacola and about 5 miles from the Ala line. I strayed through Friday 26th which was my mom's 94'th B'day then got up and bought her back with me for a week. We stopped one night in Charlotte to see my daughter and grandkids then came here to WV.

My daughter and 5 y/o GD and 7 y/o GS came up tonight. The kids wanted to go fishing and I wanted to see them drag in a big catfish or two so yesterday Mom and I went to the local COE Lake Bluestone and fished for bait. We caught 60 little bream, (Mostly Little Green Sunfish) pretty quick so I decided to go ahead and put lines out then instead of today. I think I put out about 40 bushhooks in my smokehouses and similar places that have always produced well.

I woke Mom up about 6:15 and we got on the lake by about 7:00. I am afraid people will see the limbs shaking and come steal my fish. We had a10 lb channel on the first hook and in many cases they'd have 3-4 hooks in a row with fish.

(Okay gallery is not my friend so I'll post at the end)

We literally filled up the live well. Had 18 fish that weighted 133 lbs with the biggest 12.5 lb and top 4 weighed 45 lbs. I was surprised no 20+ lb fish as I really expected several based on where I set my lines.

I came home and cleaned fish till nearly 3 pm then about 4 pm we went back and caught another 40 bream and baited up and plan to take the grandkids tomorrow. We caught one more 3 lb while baiting so 136 lb for the day. I am a worn out puppy dog.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Thats a boat load of fish!  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

My heart goes to the quality time that you spent with your Mom.  ffsmiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Since, you injected a gallery comment again, The gallery never will be your friend unless you quit using the drag and drop method. There is absolutely no reason you can not upload a picture into the gallery, then Absolutely no reason you can not copy and paste the code found under the gallery uploaded picture into a post.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Yes I know. I tried to copy and paste but did not have two sessions properly open and I was too tired to play with it more. I have gotten it to work (once) and agree it is totally operator error on my part.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

I got everyone up around 6:30 this morning and my mom, daughter, 7 y/o GS and 6 y/o GD went to check and take up lines. Neither child had ever been catfishing so it was a new experience to them. My GS was the designated  net operator. I'd pull the line and fish up until it was securely in the net and he'd pull it in. The fish started about 4-5 lbs then 8-9 lb then a 20 lb flathead that my GS told his mom "It is Ginormus!". We caught 9 that weighed 86 lbs. The top 4 weighed 56 lbs. I cleaned the 5 biggest flatheads and gave the last 6 to a neighbor who wanted them and agreed to clean them. It was a great day on the lake with Mom, daughter and 2 very excited and fun grandkids.

We had another live well full but not as packed as yesterday.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

An odd thing or two that happened was on the first day one limb was shaking but when I got to it I pulled the line towards me and the line came untied and I looked down at the line in the water with my flag with my name on the end., I grabbed for it before the fish could take off with it and got hold of it and pulled in the 7 lb flathead catfish on it. I guess I had mis tied it or a twig  got in the loop or such causing it not to close.  Anyway I got the fish and re-tied the line.

On another line I had a fish, threw him in the boat and when I got done unhooking it and put him in the life well I found the tip of the limb with knot on it had broken off. It was strong enough to hold the fish but I guess I pulled from a different angle and snapped it off. I retied it and caught another fish on it the second day too,

Mostly I just put lines in my "smokehouses" or places that looked like my smokehouses. Mostly they were in fallen tree tops. Any place that you'd fish for crappie or bluegills or toss a plastic worm after a bass is a likely spot for a big predator catfish.

Howard Green

Ron Scott

~Ron

WV Sawmiller

The best [art was spending the time with my young grandkids, daughter and 94 y/o mom making some real special memories. I regret my wife did not come but she said it was too early and too cold and she would not have tolerated the drizzling rain either so it may have been for the best.
Howard Green

beenthere

"The best [art"

What is an [art ?  What is a best [art??  ffcheesy ffcheesy
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!