iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood selection question (log cabin)

Started by sport240, January 23, 2004, 10:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sport240

Hi all!

A newbie, with a newbie question.

Actually I've been browsing this forum for some time now, I find it very interesting and packed with information...Congrats!

My Question....

I will be building a 24X32 log cabin (D-log profile with groove) this summer and I have two log suppliers that are open to me.  The first one sells black spruce logs and the other eastern white cedar (a black or white question!).

The cedar is about 2 1/2 times the price of the spruce, but I know is very resistant and even recommended for this project.  I am wondering if the black spruce is a good alternative to the cedar in the decay and resistance field.  Of course I would be treating both with borates and using the Sikkens system for protection.

Should I stay away from the spruce? With a little regular maintenance and treatment (borates + waterproofers) will the spruce stand up to the elements as well as the cedar?

My take on this is that it is all in the conservation of the wood, whether natural or artificial, if the wood is protected, it should last forever...right?

Thanx in advance for your response...

Sport240

shopteacher

Welcome aboard sport. Glad to be able to greet a new member.  Can't help much with the spruce-cedar question as I don't work much with either species.  However, I would take my time and do lots of research into the different aspect of using one over the other. A home is not an easy thing to replace and a mistake at the beginning may haunt you the rest of your time there.  You've come to the right place for answers and ideas and I'm sure the other members will lend you their best advice.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SasquatchMan

Spruce doesn't stand up to tough weather as well as cedar - decks made out of spruce lumber here tend to crack and split a lot, even if they're treated with good quality stuff, like flood or sikkens... Cedar just seems to weather 10 times better, even untreated.  I little trapped moisture (in said cracks) starts the rot process in spruce.

I think Cedar is much more resistant to bugs too - I can't remember seeing carpenter ants, for instance, dissolve any cedar fences, and I've sure seen them eat a lot of spruce.

This said, I know they use all sorts of logs successfully for home building - so maybe someone with cabin-building experience can offer a more direct answer for you - like you say, with the right treatment, maybe a guy can use spruce no problem.

Welcome to the forum :).
Senior Member?  That's funny.

sport240

Thanx for your responses, along with the warm welcome...

Sasquatchman,

I know cedar is the better choice, but I was just wondering is I could get away with spruce, considering the budget issues.

Still intrigued though....

Sport240

Mark M

Sport

I've seen lots of log buildings built out of popple (Aspen) that are over a hundred years old and this is not considered to be a resistant wood. Many had no preservatives at all other than a good roof overhang. I do not think you will have a problem if you use a good preservative and a roof that keeps water off the logs. In Austria I saw log buildings (house and barn combined) that are well over 500 years old. They are weathered but as solid as can be. I am not sure the species but think it pine, fir, or spruce.

Good luck

Mark

sport240

Thanx Mark...quite re-assuring...

It's true when you think of it, a lot of old structures were made out of wood not considered to be resistant, and they are still around, maybe marketing or modern dat techniques make us expect more than we should.

Good thoughts...

Sport240

breederman

Welcome sport,pull up a chair!
   Our log home is white pine,I think large over hangs are key.Get the largest diameter logs you can, it's all about thermal mass when trying to heat a log home.
Together we got this !

sport240

Thanx Breederman...

I would think that pine and spruce are similar when it comes to resistance and their overall qualities (think SPF) and pine seems to be quite a common product.

Sport240

Thank You Sponsors!