iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just ordered a 038 super..

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, November 13, 2014, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

Hello, I just ordered a used Stihl 038 super for my dad as a Christmas gift. He had a 038 along time ago and said its his favorite saw he's had.
Its supposed to be in good working condition but I have no 1st hand experience with this model. Is there anything in particular I should check when it arrives to make sure its ready to go to work?

Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodcutter_Mo

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Al_Smith

From my perspective the 038 series was one of the best if not the best Stihl ever made .

If there is a weak link it would be the top left hand side anti vib mount .The rubber can tear away from the metal allowing the saws undercarriage to flex which will in time tear the intake boot causing an air  leak .It's about an 8 dollar part .

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 13, 2014, 07:49:54 PM
From my perspective the 038 series was one of the best if not the best Stihl ever made .

If there is a weak link it would be the top left hand side anti vib mount .The rubber can tear away from the metal allowing the saws undercarriage to flex which will in time tear the intake boot causing an air  leak .It's about an 8 dollar part .

OK I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

joe_indi

If it is a used 038, there might be a chance of the con-rod bearing having some wear. This would cause the crankshaft(and the flywheel) to rotate a bit in advance in relation to the piston. IE the ignition timing gets advanced a bit. This is more evident when starting the saw. Since the 038 has no decompression valve, unless the starter is pulled hard/fast enough there could be a risk of recoil from a backfire. If this happens, you will need to file the holes of the ignition coil and move it a bit forward (in the direction of flywheel rotation) to retard it a bit.
Joe

Woodcutter_Mo

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

HolmenTree

Joe, how hard would it be to send a new MS380 from India to Canada?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Woodcutter_Mo

Send 2, just install a 038 top cover and an old used bar and chain on them and then holmantree you can send one down here to  me in the US  :D.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

HolmenTree

joe_indi

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 14, 2014, 12:05:49 AM

I have no idea about the regulations. Sending a saw from India is not too complicated.But you receiving it there ? I dont know what are the regulations over there. There are no more 380s. Its 381 now. 52mm pistons, 72cc, decompression valve, and (sadly) no more Bings, only Zamas.But they still run the same as a 038 Magnum.
Retail price locally with 18" ES bar and chain is around INR. 45,000/- (that is about $.750/-)

HolmenTree

Thanks Joe for the reply, price sounds very reasonable but shipping costs might be another thing to worry about.
I mailed a MS200 to Tasmania a few years ago for $95 CDN and took about 3 months to get there, everything went well with no problems.
I'm going to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in a months time for a 2 week holiday and have seen Stihl dealer signs there. It's possible they sell the MS381 there, rather then buy a bunch of souveniors maybe I could bring a saw back in my luggage, of course claim the duty at customs because they always check our luggage before we board the plane.

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on November 14, 2014, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 14, 2014, 12:05:49 AM

I have no idea about the regulations. Sending a saw from India is not too complicated.But you receiving it there ? I dont know what are the regulations over there. There are no more 380s. Its 381 now. 52mm pistons, 72cc, decompression valve, and (sadly) no more Bings, only Zamas.But they still run the same as a 038 Magnum.
Retail price locally with 18" ES bar and chain is around INR. 45,000/- (that is about $.750/-)
The power specs actually has gone up a bit during the 038 Mag > MS380 > MS381 thingy, from 3.6kW to 3.9 - but I have no idea what's behind that...

Information collector.

celliott

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 14, 2014, 02:43:24 PM
Thanks Joe for the reply, price sounds very reasonable but shipping costs might be another thing to worry about.
I mailed a MS200 to Tasmania a few years ago for $95 CDN and took about 3 months to get there, everything went well with no problems.
I'm going to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in a months time for a 2 week holiday and have seen Stihl dealer signs there. It's possible they sell the MS381 there, rather then buy a bunch of souveniors maybe I could bring a saw back in my luggage, of course claim the duty at customs because they always check our luggage before we board the plane.

Mexico still has old edition 372xp's and 281xp's listed on there site. I think it was brazil that had new 288xp's?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

HolmenTree

Yes the Mexicans may in fact import their saws from Brazil . But I have seen Chinese counterfeit saws there too claimed to be Stihl MS360s

HolmenTree

I checked out Stihl Mexican websites and  see genuine Stihl's models such as MS 051, MS 076, MS 780, MS 381

CR888

I have been looking at a ms381 as they were sold her up until very recently and they were heavily discounted. I have a question for those who may know....Did they put spring AV on the updated MS381 or do they have rubber AV like the MS380?? Everyone who owned this series saw only says good things about them. I imagine no quad port engine but that don't bother me to much.

HolmenTree

Where are you located CR888 to have 381 in your area?

Woodcutter_Mo

The 038 came in Saturday. We poured some gas in the tank and it started rite up. We haven't really tested it out real good yet since its deer season but it does sound really good.

It needs a new clutch sprocket assembly. Is there any way to convert it to the newer style?
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

deerslayer

I have been to Brazil twice in the past year and checked out what saws were available there as I had heard there were still 090's to be had. Found out the largest saw that can be purchased there is the Stihl MS660. That is a common saw as is the 650.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

HolmenTree

Deerslayer how hard would it be to bring a 381 back to North America from Brazil?
Stihl Mexico advertise MS780.

Maine logger88

I would like to have a new 288xp from Brazil!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Al_Smith

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on November 17, 2014, 10:09:47 AM

It needs a new clutch sprocket assembly. Is there any way to convert it to the newer style?
This series of saws had three different drive systems .One piece  drum with sprocket ,replaceable sprocket plus  rim drive system which can all be interchanged .Now the problem is with each system if I'm correct it took a different nylon drive gear to drive the oil pump .

I'm pretty certain if you visit a Stihl dealer that amounts  to more than two shakes of lambs tail they can look up the parts which I assume to be the same as the 380/381 .Which although not sold in North America as a complete running unit parts should never the less be available .If they won't look it up for you find one that will .I don't fool with them .

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 17, 2014, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on November 17, 2014, 10:09:47 AM

This series of saws had three different drive systems .One piece  drum with sprocket ,replaceable sprocket plus  rim drive system which can all be interchanged .Now the problem is with each system if I'm correct it took a different nylon drive gear to drive the oil pump .

I'm pretty certain if you visit a Stihl dealer that amounts  to more than two shakes of lambs tail they can look up the parts which I assume to be the same as the 380/381 .Which although not sold in North America as a complete running unit parts should never the less be available .If they won't look it up for you find one that will .I don't fool with them .

OK thanks. There is a fairly knowledgeable Stihl dealer in my area, I'll see what they can dig up.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

joe_indi

Willard, Here are a few pictures of the MS381

joe_indi

Woodcutter_Mo, I think this is what you need. It is a rim sprocket kit for the 038/380/381

HolmenTree

Joe, those teeth on the drum that the rim sprocket is laying on is the teeth to drive the oil pump gear right?
It's been so long since I worked on a 038 I can't remember.

Thanks for showing the photos of the MS381, beautiful looking saw. I really want one :) Made in Brazil too!!

I'll see what I can find in Mexico next month.............

joe_indi

Willard,
Yes. The spur gear that drives the worm of the oil pump sits on those teeth.I will post a picture tomorrow (just past midnight now)
Joe

HolmenTree

Thanks Joe,
Yes that well built oil pump drive system that the 038/380/381 has, is one of the many reasons why  I like that saw series so much for.
Super well built setup with the nylon gears and all.
These saws are built to last. :)

CR888

Willard....l am down under. I have seen a few very low hr 381's for sale here. They are still on the Stihl  website and are a popular choice for farmers here. The are 70-72cc and when compared to a 441/461they can be had for a lot less. $1150 compared to $1699. I know you really want one of these and l too will end up with one. If l snag a good deal and freight ain't too bad l 'may' be able to help. I am looking for a next to new one just to stash away for a rainy day.

HolmenTree

Thanks CR888, I'm not sure how my Canadian $ is equal to yours. But a MS441 is about $900 to $1000 here in Canada. I think the reverse applies buyers in Australia/N.Z are looking to buy North American saws for the $ savings. I'll have to shop around, I haven't converted the Mexican Peso yet but I think I saw on one Mexican dealer site the 381 was about $800 US.

Yes the MS381 would be great addition to my tree service company which is kind of like farming. Don't cut steady all day, and need a saw that won't fall over when I set it down, which I do alot through out the day. The saw would take abuse as a tree service does do.
For 8 hour a day logging a 441 or 461 would be a better choice.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: joe_indi on November 19, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
Woodcutter_Mo, I think this is what you need. It is a rim sprocket kit for the 038/380/381

Yea that's what I'll need, thanks for the pics  8)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

joe_indi

Woodcutter_Mo

Well, ordered a clutch kit about a month ago through the local stihl store. They still haven't gotten it in yet, guess its back order. I would've just ordered one off the net if I knew it'd take this long.

Anyway, the saw is still running good. We replaced the fuel tank vent since it was rotted and broke. Just needs the clutch and some work on the kill switch to get it to kill every time and should be good to go.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Al_Smith

What you will find is that all dealers are not the same when it comes to parts.

The guy I deal with sends a parts order in twice a week .I seldom have to wait much over 4-5 days and I've ordered parts for saws that haven't been made in 35 years .I certainly would not think a rim drive for an 038 should be a big deal .

proteus

I am in agreement with your dad. I have had the same 038 AV SUPER for the last 30 years. All I have had to do is keep it tuned up and replace a muffler gasket and bar. I bought a 011 when I first started burning wood and it was terrible. I had to constantly retighten nuts and screws on it. I should have bought a 038 then, but I didn't know any better. :-\
Greg

Woodcutter_Mo

The clutch finally came in and we got it installed. This dealer is usually pretty quick about getting parts, I might have just caught them at a bad time.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

HolmenTree

I'm down in Bucerias,  Mexico on vacation right now. Just started looking to buy a new MS381.The language barrier is brutal but I still have about 11 days left to find one.

Al_Smith

I have no doubt you'll find one .

You know they've made mountains out of mole hills with this  pollution stuff especially on small gasoline engine  powered tools such as chainsaws .They liken it akin with dumping gasoline in a 514 Ford stroker engine .Nonsense !

HolmenTree

I found a Stihl dealer this morning and the owner actually spoke pretty good English. He had no MS381 in stock though but said he could order one in for a nominal down payment in U.S. bills. No commitment from him when the saw would arrive :o

$700 U.S. power head only :o
. I'll shop around and look for another dealer in the next day or so in Puerto Vallarta.

JohnG28

Sounds a little shady. Good luck on the 381 quest HT!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

John, yes shady is an understatement doing business down here  :D

Woodcutter_Mo

Holman Tree- Did you find any stihl dealers and/or have any luck finding an ms381
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

HolmenTree

Just got back to Canada last night.
Yes I found a MS381at a Stihl dealer in Puerto Vallarta a few days ago. But no deal made though. All their new saws are run in and tanks fueled up, not a good combination to try and bring onto a aircraft. Fuel drained still take days to air the fumes out.
Our luggage over the years always got checked at customs at the PV airport so not going to risk leaving a new saw behind.

We get to customs yesterday and no check ::)
Maybe next time. Just hard to shop when I have a wife and 3 young kids in tow.

joe_indi

Willard,
People used to say that there was more Johnny Walker Red Label available than what ever came out of their distilleries. The same, in my opinion goes also for the 381, more of them than what Stihl has produced. How would it be if you were to get/buy the saw in bits and pieces from abroad, probably in a used condition? Not at one go, maybe in several consignments. Would you still have any problem at the customs? Or would you be able to get it through as spares for one of your existing saws. Just being curious.
Joe

HolmenTree

Joe. I want a MS381 brand new, never fueled up and assembled at the Stilhl factory, owners manual included.
Most important thing to clear airport security and customs is no flammable fumes in the saws fuel tank. Factory run in saws are not fueled from the fuel tank but from a assembly line fuel line directly to the carb.

joe_indi

That is fine. I thought (wrongly) that any MS381 would not be allowed through customs. So, what you need was an out of the box saw. But, why did the Puerto Vallarta dealer keep his stock run in? We never do that here. Customers prefer to see a sealed box opened and the saw inside started up with the first tankful in their presence.
Different countries, different practices. 

HolmenTree

Joe, in the unfamiliar ways to me on how things are  done in Mexico. It looked like these dealers were more into rental service even though they had a genuine Stihl sign on the front door.
He had one MS381 that looked brand new but the bar had little paint left on it from cutting palm trees. That used saw was priced at $450 US.

joe_indi

Maybe you could have bought only the brand new powerhead for a further discount. You could have purchased a guidebar after you had returned. Just a thought.

HolmenTree

Yes powerhead only was my original intentions.
I sure like the look and feel of the 381, would make a real nice ground saw for my tree service operation.
Nice wide flat underside making it stable sitting upright when idling on the ground.
A lot of those times when I set my narrow Husqvarnas on the ground after cutting, when they fall over those few last revolutions  of the chain when going back to idle will catch enough dirt or gravel to take some of the edge off the chain.

thecfarm

I set my saw on the ground,while it was running,I was moving brush and the saw started to run out of gas. The motor reved up and the chain started to turn,right on top of a rock.  ::)  The whole chain get a good work out on the rock. By the time I got to it the damage was done.  ::) I don't like to run my saw out of gas,so when I heard the high rev I went to shut the saw off. Chain break is on,when the saw is on the ground now.  ;D That rock took them little pointy things off mighty fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Yes I try to apply the "parking brake" when I set my saw down most times, but that's easier said then done :D

thecfarm

I know about the easier said then done part.  :D  But DanG,after that grinding job on the rock,it's easier to set the brake than to sharpen a chain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I just switch the saw to "off" as I find it too easy to get busy doing other things and the saw just sits and idles away longer than expected. Seldom set the saw down while running.

I set mine down once on some damp sandy ground. Moved some limbs/branches that took longer than a few seconds. Looked back at the saw and it had jiggled itself down into the wet sand and was burbling in the sandy water.
Grabbed it, cleaned it up on the outside, and it continues to run fine with no evidence of damage from water or sand. But now, I turn it off. When warm, they start on the first pull anyway.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!