iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade bandsaw mill, help

Started by gww, April 09, 2015, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gww

I know this is probly a stupid question but here goes.

There is usually a crack/split at the heart of a log.  Comon sence seems to say that you would cut the log up parelel with the crack and no in a way that makes it into a cross. 

Is this correct and is it worth turning a log,m because of it, to get better lumber or is it a wash no matter which way you  cut it.

Thanks
gww

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I'm no sawyer but I think MagicMan says to saw parallel to the primary heart check to minimize the bad boards caused by the split.

Herb

gww

Herb
It's what I thought but it is nice to get some confermation.  I have a couple of wide boards that I did not watch on and it looks like they are going to split right down the middle.
Thanks
gww

Ox

Yep, try to contain the check crack(s) in one board if possible.  If it's a perfect looking crack I'll saw right into it and hope for the best.  You get the idea.
Of course, my lumber is for us and not for a customer or for sale so I'm not quite as picky or studious as some of the other guys have to be.
Is there any chance of mounting an actual store bought pulley in place of your homemade one?  What size is it (shaft and diameter).  I may have something here for you.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Ox 
It is part tiller wheel and part wheel bearing,  aint no changing unless I rebuild that side of the mill and turn the motor around.

I should have tried a 2 inch on the motor instead of the jack shaft, so far nothing but trouble.  Potential but more breakdown then cutting.  I was getting the best cuts I ever got and then switched the blade to an old one and tried to half "Dan G" it to give it a point with an angle grinder. Got one good cut and then belt problims then waves.  took all day to cut one log and only got about 5 good boards and the rest is fire wood.  Still expermenting but not doing great on the belt thing.  I have a small width belt on it now and am cutting but can't push it cause the belt slips and I could tighten it but then it just streches faster.  Did get to add to the lumber pile though. Its a good thing I have lots of time.  I will get it sooner or later or I will look for stuff to change it with, Or I will keep putting belts on it.  I already have a wider belt bought but had two thin ones to go through sitting around the house.

Cheers
gww

Ox

I can now see how the pulley is.  I'm sorry but I can't think of anything to help you out in this situation.  I'll think on it and if I come up with something I'll let you know.
I'm hoping a wider belt will be happier on this pulley and won't get chewed up on the others as well.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

i had a wider belt on it but I have added a bit more epoxy and I thought I would let the small belt wear on it a bit and maby make the ridge on the shollow side a bit steeper.  It cuts ok and I might just add guides and go through the belts I have before I move to something differrent.  I will be out of blades by then and 100 degree wether is on it way pretty soon and I will be done with this project till it cools down again.  I am a bit on a wimp in real hot weather.  I am going to keep messing with messing up my messed up blades with the grinder untill I find some one local to sharpen cause the hassel of figuring out shipping and such makes it easier to buy more new ones.  I am a cheep guy but also lazy on dealing with modern things like shipping something.  I am pretty sure the first blade I ground on is toast but it is an interesting experment.  You tube has given me several bad ideals :laugh:

Now that you are cutting are you getting anything done?
Cheers
gww

Ox

Sounds like you have a plan of attack (P of A).  I wonder if a half round or half moon file sized to fit the tooth face and gullet would work?  You might be able to do a few strokes and hit the face then move and hit the gullet, then flip file over to the flat side and hit the back of the tooth.
I'm the same way in hot weather.  It kills me.  Last week we had several days well into the 90s and I wasn't doing too well.  I actually looked forward to crawling down into the 200 year old hand well we're clearing out.  It's so cold down 8 feet or so it hurts your hands digging the field rock out that they filled it up with.
Yes, I've been building raised bed gardens.  Slowly but surely.  Realized I can't swing a hammer much any more.  Arthritis is getting into the rest of my body.  Feels like electrical fire running through my fingers.  Had to buy an air nailer.  Works well even on rock hard seasoned black locust.  Got 3 beds made at 10' x 4' x 16" and seedlings planted.  Peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower so far.  Still plugging along.  Need another 3 beds made at least for this year.
I truly hope your mill problems get weeded out.  You keep calling yourself lazy and stuff but you're always tinkering and trying to do things.  That's not lazy in my book.  Keep us posted, buddy!

gww

Ox
QuoteYou keep calling yourself lazy and stuff but you're always tinkering and trying to do things.  That's not lazy in my book.

The reason I am tinkering is cause I still want some things but if you notice, I always do bare minimum and take the long way because of it.

I had a rough night cause I got weld flash in my eyes again and haven't did much yet today.  Really bad night but seems to be getting better faster then last time.  Time to go back to the plain non auto dark helmet.

Cool on the raised bed gardens.  I really don't like anything I can't put in a row and use a tiller on but my wife (who does the real work) just loves them so I have a bunch and will get more myself.  Mine are all from 10/12 inches high.  Takes a lot of poop to fill them.  Seems like more watering too but they do grow well cause the poop is consintrated in one place.  I will be making more.

On the blade sharpining.  One guy only grinds on the back of the point to make it pointyer and never touches the gullet.  I think I will try that next as I was not steady enough trying to do it all with out gougeing the metal pretty bad.  I would feel good if I could get 400 board foot out of my $19 blade.  Maby even 200 board foot.  Then if I got more it would be considerred a bonus.  I like everyone would want more but if I could just get close to that I might not feel I wasn't getting at least my money back.

It is good to know that a nailer works in hard lumber,  I believe I ask earlier if it would work on oak.  It is one thing building with other then pine, but it takes away the incintive if you have to pre drill your holes.  While it is green I can put screws in but I tried to take them out and they just break.  If a nailer works it will really make cutting my own boards more worth while.  Course I will have to get a nailer and probly a better compressor.  I will probly be able to borrow my uncles nailer but I definatly don't want to buy one without trying it first.

Thanks for the comments
gww

Ox

Sorry to hear about the flash.  I've never had the problem yet, thankfully.  Hopefully it doesn't happen to you any more.
I've had some cracking of course when using the air nailer but it's to be expected when not drilling a small hole first.  I would expect seasoned oak to do the same.  But a full size framing nailer will definitely shoot the nails through.  Sometimes when the little compressor is lacking on pressure I'll have to come along after and give a few nails a few whacks but that's no big deal to me.  It's like night and day as far as the pain is concerned.  I would highly recommend you get one if you can.
I filled mine about halfway so as to leave room for more poop and leaves and such to compost in.  My hill just has poor clay soil with no drainage.  Raised beds are our only option.  If I could I would do it the old way and space the rows for a tiller.

gww

Ox
Its good to know the nailer works.  O have found with my little staple brad gun that I get less splitting then I get driving small nails by hand.  Either way it will be better then doing it by hand.
Thanks for the answer.
gww

gww

I have one more issue solved on my mill if I don't screw it up.  Forum member Leggman, who also has a thread on this site on his mill build, has built me some guides and sent them to me.  I had ask about his guides and he sent me a personal message saying he would build me some.   I was thinking I was getting the roller guide that he turned on his lave.  That is not what I got.  He looked at my mill and built a guide system, I mean the whole thing and made for my mill set up.  I still have a few humps to jump on install and hope to not screw it up cause looking at the neatness of his work I am almost scared to do my part.

Guides was something I was struggling with and this is a god send for me.

When I get going and get the pictures up you will see just how good his fabercation skill is.

The bigg bigg thing is.  He saw I was struggling, had some mill spicific answers and volinteered.  Wow.

So anyway, I am feeling a bit like a mouch by now and that maby I am using his good will and so I offer up some doe re me $$.

His answer to me was to find somebody in need and buy them groceries and that would be his payment.

I can't wait to get them installed and am hoping that I don't screw it up cause the really are a work of art.  I don't have a time line that I will have it done but you guys will get to see it when I get there.

I do have a decision to make. I can cut to an 8 inch depth right now.  I have two ways I can install.  One will leave me at around a 4 inch deep cutting ability and is really strait forward install.  The other is to grind off the water pipe that I put on the mill to help with flexing when tensioning.  I believe if I get rid of the pipe that my tensioning will still be ok with the crappy belt set up I have now cause when I changed to it it seemed to have the most impact on flexing.  However,  Is a four inch deep cutting ability enough as the guides could be fit there with no mill modifications and would have less length which would make them even stronger though I don't believe they will ever be weak no matter what I do.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
gww

PS Leggman is the man

Ox

Holy cow!  Leggman!  This is a beautiful thing!  There are still people out there like that, it's plain to see.
About the cutting height - 4"x4" posts are useful.  You can always set the 4" that's left over up on top of another 4" that's left over and keep cutting boards from it.
Leggman - it's truly a pleasure to know about this.
gww - hopefully you know a family or person who is struggling and truly trying to make it through tough times and NOT mooching off the system like so many seem to do, all the while crying poverty and living and eating better than us.

gww

Ox
I don't have a plan on the repaying of leggmans generosity yet and will probly do what I honestly try to do in life anyway and just watch in my circle of life for a way to help some one that really needs it.  The only differrance now in my watching for that need is I now owe the help and won't be doing it cause I am a nice guy.  I don't have a plan for that yet but have no choice but to try harder now.  I will say it will have to be a lot of grocerys or what ever cause what leggman sent me would cost $500 if you when to one of the manufactuers.  It is also very professionally done.

I am guessing by your comment that I might be able to live with the 4 inch cut rather then trying to streatch it to 6 or 7 inch cut and possibly weakining the mill a bit.  I believe that is the esiest way to install.
Thanks
gww

Ox

I think I might have misunderstood.  Can you only cut a 4" thick board off a cant or can you cut down to 4" from the bunks, leaving a 4" cant or board left on the mill because you can't cut any further down?

gww

Ox
I think you missunderstood but it is a non issue cause I have installed them and can cut to a seven inch depth.  I could only cut an 8 inch deep cut before.  I am talking the blade being seven inches in a board before the log top hits something.  With 20 inch wheels I was looking at a 10 inch max in anycase.

Look at this

Like I said, Leggman is the man'
gww

Ox

Hey, all right!  That's awesome!
Thank you, Leggman, for helping gww out.  This was mighty generous of you.  Hopefully this takes care of some problems.
I'm certain gww will pay it forward when the opportunity presents itself and the time is right.

GF

Leggman did one heck of an excellent job on those, he spent some time fabricating those, they look like factory.  Those are going to make a world of difference when cutting.  It was great to hear what he did for you, its nice to know there are some very thoughtful people still left in this world.

gww

gf

I don't think you can see just how good his work is.  I have never seen a factory with cleaner welds and he thought this out from a distance with no access to the mill itself.  It is unbelievable.  I looked for his adress so I could send him something that would have probly imbarresed me and couldn't find it and mentioned that and his answer was to do something for somebody who needed it that he just wanted to help.  I was scared to death to install it cause I wanted it to be as good as he had built it to be and didn't want him to think he had wasted his time with me.

I did get them installed and cut down one about 8 inch log.  It was all I could get my hands on quick.  It was about 13 inches onthe butt end.  The guides made the blade smooth as ice and even with some belt slipping when pushed it cut like glass.  Very strait and very few teeth mark in the cut.  The rollers did not get hot and the settup was very solid.  He has out did his self.  It did take a lot of work and I am humbled.  He is building his own mill and all I did was ask about his guides.  I did not ask for this but did really need it and he seen that and helped.  I have to find a way to help back.  He mentioned doing some hydrolics on his and I am dumb as hell but I am going to be looking at dads log splitter and tractor so I can try and learn what to be on the look out for something that will help him and I am still going to buy the groceries or help someone in some way.

Ox 

I still have issues but guides that work are not one of them. 
Thanks for the comments.
gww

Ox

YAY!  Nice smooth cuts!   8)
I'm pretty sure that when you get to your wider belt it'll help with some of your slippage issues.  It'll be stiffer, stronger and not so likely to slip due to more contact area.  At the very least it should make the belt ride higher up in the homemade pulley so it doesn't get chewed up.
If you're getting flat, smooth cuts with the blade changing speed in the cut due to belt slippage, I'd say you have your mill set up pretty darn good.
Leggman is very humble about this.  Haven't seen or hear a word from him.  Only good men do what he did.  I wish I could shake his hand and tell him how much I appreciate that there are still people like him around.
I wish I had more like him around me.  I've got nosy, condescending neighbors who think that you should do as they do because, well, it's what they do.   ::)
I think they feel threatened when a cripple like myself can build things and do things and they aren't.  I may be very slow but things slowly get done.

pineywoods

Ox, as you become more familiar with the forum and it's members, maybe even meet some of them personally, you will find that kind of generosity  is very common among the members. This is just a good place... 8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gww

Piney
I spent a couple hours yesterday going through your log turning thread.  That was a pretty neat thing to share.
gww

fishpharmer

smiley_applause.  Mr. Leggman, you did good sir!   gww keep up the good work! 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gww

Fish
My work seems a lot better with that type of help doesn't it.
I might start getting more boards then fire wood.
gww

gww

I cut another log today.  It was on the edge of doudy near the edges.  I found about eight to ten trees near a run off low area that have died.  Some are to far gone.  I cut four down, have one hung up in a pretty dangerous way.  Three of them are still solid and pink in side. One was compleetly hollow.  I got one to the house and cut up so far.  It gave me five 2x6s and three 1x9s .  I am cutting the two bys at 1 and 3/4 inch so that is what I call a two by.  Might be maby one or two more still standing that will give something.

The mill did great.  The belt still can't be pushed too hard but doesn't (knock on wood) seem to be getting ate up.  I could tighen it but it is just good enough that I am going to try it for awhile and see what happens.  I had no machanical dificalties and if the belt keeps holding up, I don't forsee any.  I do have some heavy catches on my track where things are rubbing and on the opisite side it used to catch but it doesn't seem to affect the cut when I hit them and pop the carrage through them.  I will take a grinder and try to improve them a bit but I am getting good boards.

The mill is still binding on the up and down but does seem to be losining up with use.

They guides made an unbelievable differrence in cut and in forgivness of small errors on my part.  I am still glade that I got it cutting before putting the guides on but I can tell a great differrance in cutting with them.  Now my boards are perfect and I am also having an easier time measuring the thickness of the board before cutting it.  Before I got a bit of chopping as I entered the board and it made it harder to get acurate measures.  Now the blade starts and ends exactly at cut highth.

I am also getting much better at handling and turning the logs.  I am getting better at getting them on my trailer to get to the house.  I aparrently am not getting better at dropping the trees, which is harder when you are trying to only take one out of a bunch.

The saw is not fast but I do only have a nine horse motor and even it could do better with a stronger belt set up but it wouldn't do a lot better and I think I am close to max potential of the mill.  My next worry is that the motor seems to be burning oil.  It doesn't show it in the exaust and starts easy and runs good but I ran it out and locked it up.  I put oil in and have ran it for a while and it seems to be doing good but may use a quarter of a quart of oil every 4 tanks of gas and when it was a tiller it didn't use any for 15 years. 

Over all if I can keep this streak going and they mill doesn't degrade, It is doing better then could be expected and I am very happy with it.  I would say those that advised me to slow it down and to get the blade level and expesialy leggman, all deserve my gratitude.  I am not sure about the drive wheel change but It may have had a big impact but I had so many problims at once it is hard to tell.  I like what I have now. 

I also thank ox for thinking that this peice of crap I built might have value even though it was a piece of crap.  It was mostly a cheap to build peice of crap (If  you discount the $500 it would have cost if not for leggman) and I am going to build something now just cause I can, though I am not sure what.  Maby a small shed I can sell for enough to get 10 more blades.

Thanks for all the help. 
gww

Thank You Sponsors!