iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody using firefox?

Started by brdmkr, July 12, 2006, 10:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I got sick and tired of adware popping up ruining my concentrations on the words of wisdom displayed at this great site.  A friend suggested firefox as a web browser.  I loaded'er up and so far, it has worked like a charm.  Spybot and some beta release stuff from microsoft were unable to do a thing, but it seems that firefox may have been the fix.  I still don't know how to use the cool features that I have been told about, but the browser sure seems to work well for me. 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

stumpy

I've been using it for about a year and it works great
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Bill

I've been using it for around a year. Brand X started up quicker but handled different pages way slower. Firefox starts slower but moves around real fast .      8)

Good Luck with it .  .  .

Tom Sawyer

Anybody who still uses Internet Explorer needs to download something else TODAY.  Firefox is good - I use it.  IE simply has too many holes for the bad stuff to get through.

asy

I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I just love it.

Here's a neat tip for you, if you've got a mouse with a scroll button, when you hover the mouse over a clickable link click on the scroll button (push the actual scroll wheel down), it opens a new tab in the same window, it's really neat and very handy, that way you don't lose the original page you're on, and you don't mess up your desktop with hundreds of windows.

I read a couple of forums and am usually on ebay in one capacity or anohter, so I have five windows open, one with this forum, one with my other forum, one with my blog, one with ebay and one with 'other stuff'. This way all the tabs are organised. So, In this forum, for example, I have the first tab as 'recent unread threads' and I keep refreshing that, then click the scroll button on all the ones I'm interested in reading and it opens new tabs. Then I don't miss anything.

Also, when you save bookmarks, there's a neat section called Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, if you want something that you ALWAYS use, you can save it in there, and when you next open Firefox it'll have a new line of links just under the address bar. I keep all the 'always used' ones there.

ALSO! There's another interesting thing, if you open a couple of tabs, and you always want to open with the same few tabs, go into Tools (right up the top) and click on OPTIONS, then click on 'use current pages', it'll open all the pages every time you open a new window, it's like having a few 'home pages'. Very convenient. I have mine open 'google', the forum I moderate, and today's TV programme ;)

The other thing is, if you do a lot of searching on the net, it's worth downloading the Google Toolbar, it makes it really easy if you're searching for stuff, as you can click on words and it autosearches. AND there's a built in spell check for forums (only works on fill-in-able forms, like forum posts) hehe.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

JimBuis

Firefox?  Been using it for a couple of years now. Internet Explorer? What's that. ;D
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

asy

My brother calls it "Internut Exploder", he says it's as useful as a bag of exploding chestnuts.

tnlogger

yup wouldn.t use anything else love it. i d/led the 2.0 beta yesterday and the should be out today some time. the only thing about it is aspell wont work on it yet. guess I need to do some tweeking to get it to work  :D
gene

Raphael

I use DOSlinks   :D
Actually I haven't had the 286 on the internet since 1998.

I'm one of those people that has never used Internet explorer as it didn't even exist when I wrote my first html much less first accessed the WWW.  I find Microsoft's approach to the W3C entirely too offensive to start using it now.

FireFox is definately a good choise, I've got a copy installed on this PC but tend to use Opera as I'm more familiar with it.

Tabbed browsing is great, I'll often have another window full of eBay tabs when I'm looking for a particular tool.  This window always has this forum, the FF gallery, the Timber Framers Guild's ask the experts forum, and the Logosol users forum.  I usually start Opera with those five tabs open.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

tomboysawyer

In the Google search bar you can click the last choice and add searches for anything you want. Google, Wikipedia, the Weather Channel, Reuters, Dictionary.com...

Someone should write the FF search plug-in for FireFox. (FF in this sentence meaning Forestry Forum not Fire Fox) :P

dave7191

i've used firefox from it's very beginings  use ie only when i have to set forestry fourm up in tab book mark and it is always there at the top of the page
Dave719

sprucebunny

When I'm having Safari problems, I use it. Like NOW ::) I'll try to get used to it. Where do I find the "tabbed browsing " thing ???

Internet exploder has caused me problems.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

tnlogger

joan if you go to tools,options, tab browsing you can set the properties  :)
gene

isawlogs

I've been using firefox for about a year now , Explorer has gotten me to explode once too many .  >:( ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Daren

I have looked at it, but I guess I need someone to tell me what the real advantage is. My IPS (a family owned/operated local phone company) provides free updates for spyware, pop up blockers, web accelerators... I have never had a pop-up. I have an automatic spyware blocker/cleaner. Maybe I am just not up to speed, but why do you need 12 windows open at one time? I have been using IE with the same ISP for 9 ? years and never had a single problem, and I spend more time online than I should. What am I missing?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

asy

Quote from: Daren on July 14, 2006, 09:17:43 PM
Maybe I am just not up to speed, but why do you need 12 windows open at one time?

Well, that's a slow day... I have had enough open that I've jammed up the computer, on numerous occasions...

It's called being busy, and working on the computer.

When I'm working on a project it's not uncommon for me to have 10 windows open just doing that, and if I'm ebaying, that's another 10 or so...  So the tabs make it MUCH easier to keep track of what I'm doing.

Daren

Wow, asy. I think I figured it out, the setup I have now works for me because I can only do a couple things at a time. If I try to do too many thing I blow up/melt down/crash, not the computer. :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

asy

It's us sneaky wimminses again.

Multitasking.

sawguy21

I switched to Firefox because I was getting frustrated with ie's speed and the DanG popups. Like asy, I find the tabbed browser easy to use but then I have never tried to open twelve pages at once :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Raphael on July 13, 2006, 12:49:11 PM
I use DOSlinks   :D
Actually I haven't had the 286 on the internet since 1998.

I'm one of those people that has never used Internet explorer as it didn't even exist when I wrote my first html much less first accessed the WWW.  I find Microsoft's approach to the W3C entirely too offensive to start using it now.

Well now, why not try the Contiki web browser on the C64? ;D I been awaiting a PPP dialer, and then I was gonna give it a go over a 1200 baud C= modem. ;D :D It does have a TCP/IP stack if you have a shell account and a terminal program to login. ;)

http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/apps/webbrowser.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raphael

Nice... makes me wish I'd bought that C64 when I had the chance.
1200 baud... I feel your pain  :'(
I've got the deluxe 2400 baud modem  8)

There was a browser in the works for the Radio Shack Color Computer running OS9 or NitrOS9.
I'll have to check back and see where it's at.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SwampDonkey

JeffB: cough cough (clearing throat here)  ;)

' If you see something like the following in your web server logs, you know you've had a visitation from the Contiki web browser:
User-Agent: Contiki/1.0 (Commodore 64; http://dunkels.com/adam/contiki/) '

;D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Daren on July 14, 2006, 09:17:43 PM
I have looked at it, but I guess I need someone to tell me what the real advantage is. My IPS (a family owned/operated local phone company) provides free updates for spyware, pop up blockers, web accelerators... I have never had a pop-up. I have an automatic spyware blocker/cleaner. Maybe I am just not up to speed, but why do you need 12 windows open at one time? I have been using IE with the same ISP for 9 ? years and never had a single problem, and I spend more time online than I should. What am I missing?

Why use something other than IE? Two words: ActiveX Controls

If you don't know what those are, then you should either educate yourself or just depend on all those downloaded programs. Nothing like having 12 programs running at once just so you have have a bissfully unaware possibly safe browsing experience with a single window of IE. Just remember, all those spyware blocks, pop-up blockers, dial hijackers, etc. only have code written *after* they find a weak point. OpenSource stuff like FireFox gets broken by the OpenSource developers all the time on purpose (called debugging) and solutions are solved by programmers around the world with good will, not profits, in mind. Microsoft doesn't have any motive to debug - only to build new. Fixed old programs don't encouraged to get people to open up their wallets.

None of your ISP's software will protect you against something you sign a EULA for and install so someone in your family can experience something in IE.

SwampDonkey

Just some interesting tid bits for hobbyists. :)

Found a PPP dialer through the C64/128 NovaTerm V10 Release 2 program. There are a couple of authors of this program and development was not 100 % complete. It was a (in)complete rewrite of the original program from V 9.x

http://www.ros.com.au/~errol/nt10.html

documents and screen to help config and get online

http://members.chello.at/wiener.freiheit/nt10help_en.htm

I have not had success configuring the inet info, it begins to load the config editor and crashes. Maybe I have some corrupt files, since I extracted the archive in Windows and burned to a Track AT Once multisession disk. Who knows. I was wanting to dial in using Novaterm and use the Contiki web browser to surf the forum. Oh well have to wait it out for a native Contiki OS PPP dialer. ;D

It is already possible the surf with the C64/128 with the WHeels OS (suped up GEOS) with the superCPU (16 bit) expansion and the Wave web browser. I think development has pretty much ended unless Maurice Randall supports it at Censible Software.

SwampDonkey

Not sure if anyone was aware that V 1.5.04 of Firefax was released in June. It didn't seem to come up on automatic updates. I previously had V 1.0.7 installed.

Fla._Deadheader

I had a guy today, clean my files, save my important stuff, FORMAT the drive, and reinstall Windows 2000. I then set up Mozilla for a browser. I STILL get popups, and trojan bombardments. Guss I will shoot this freakin computer and quit the Internet. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom Sawyer

I got one word for you Deadheader - Mac.

SwampDonkey

I don't get popups in Firefox. And I don't seem to get adware either because I use a program to block those which seems to work as far as I know. The firewall in XP may be helping also.

brdmkr

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 24, 2006, 12:20:48 AM
I got one word for you Deadheader - Mac.

I am using a PC and I still have had no adware, spyware, or other popups with firefox.  HOWEVER, when the time comes to get a new computer, I'll be going with a Mac.  I am just too tired of Microsoft glitches and the whole world out to infect the MS products.  I have considered Linux, but I just don't want to got through the trouble. So, Mac it shall be.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Quartlow

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 23, 2006, 07:24:23 PM

I had a guy today, clean my files, save my important stuff, FORMAT the drive, and reinstall Windows 2000. I then set up Mozilla for a browser. I STILL get popups, and trojan bombardments. Guss I will shoot this freakin computer and quit the Internet. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got another word for you

ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/

If I'm figuring it out any one CAN!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fla._Deadheader

I noticed that there is an ad.something.com that shows in the bottom address bar, before the popups hit the screen. Must have a hidden file on this computer, EH ???

ALSO, how does one remove bad stuff MANUALLY ??? I found a ton of stuff using Trend housecall. They deleted a lot, BUT, there are things that need to be deleted manually. NO instructions ????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom Sawyer

I've considered going Linux too, but now that I have switched to Mac in the last year, I can't think of a good reason to use Linux anymore.  I still might do it sometime just for fun! ;D

tnlogger

harold try this it's free and does a good job.asquared
gene

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Gene. I bookmarked it for now.  8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

On my new laptop and version 1.5 of Firefox, I've noticed it takes < 5 secs to load and a little longer to load in the homepage. That's a fresh load after a boot. You'll notice if you close and then reopen Firefox on older versions (0.x-1.0.x) it loads quicker. On my old system it was slow, but I think I had the poor thing overloaded with stuff. When I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of XP on it, it booted to desktop in <30 secs.

Max sawdust

I use IE. Not because I like it just don't know better. ::)  I will check out this firefox ;D
Far as bugs it is all about good hygiene :D :D
Symantec cooperate addition for anti virus
McAfee for firewall
and best of all
Xsoftspy for spyware clean up, it cleans the registry too :)
Knock on wood... but I never have any issues with the above hygiene regiment.

It is my opinion you need to run all three and download all updates!
Most people use a firewall and some kind of anti virus, but it seems not to many are using a anti spyware software.  I encourage anyone who does not run a anti spyware to give it a try.  You will be amazed at all the data miners and worse that reside on your computer ;)

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Onthesauk

Also inclined to run more then one.  Have read that not all named brands catch everything.  I run Ad-aware and Spybot every ten days or so.

Despite my best efforts, I've got something running in the background that I can't identify.  "ShellCon Hiddenwindow"  Have searched MS and Norton sites and a number of the industry publication sites but can't find any reference to it.  Only appears as the machine is shutting down.  Anyone have a clue?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

I installed WinUAE (Windows version of the Ultimate Amiga Emulator) on my old laptop and there was a drawer with a file named 'AUX.library', which is not maliscious. There must be a Windows System file with the same name, because it just wouldn't let me delete it when I uninstalled WinUAE. I hate it when an OS doesn't let me do as I please. :D

Ianab

QuoteDespite my best efforts, I've got something running in the background that I can't identify.  "ShellCon Hiddenwindow"  Have searched MS and Norton sites and a number of the industry publication sites but can't find any reference to it.  Only appears as the machine is shutting down.  Anyone have a clue?

Do you have the MusicMatch Jukebox installed?
If so run MSconfig and remove the musicmatch startup program that autoloads... MM should still work but none of it's associated background tasks will be running. That might cure the problem

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Just received a notice of Firefox update 1.5.0.5 being available.

Onthesauk

Thanks Ian!  That seems to have finally eliminated it.

Steve
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

tnlogger

I've been running 2.0 beta1 for the last few weeks and not even a hiccup. I'll be glad when alpha comes out so I can get my image zoom back 
gene

Tony

Hey fellows, I've got a problem...
I connected to internet and found that all my bookmarks on Firefox were gone.  Also, I can't connect to Outlook Express--emails,addresses, etc. are gone also. What happened and what do I need to do to fix this problem???? Is it a virus ???
Would appreciate any help.....   

Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

Sounds like you uninstalled an old installation of Firefox and delete all the folders, or you upgraded from IE and never (yet) imported your bookmarks into firefox. If it's an upgrade look on your C: drive for the 'Documents and Settings' folder, open the folder with your windows username labeled on it.
Open 'Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/rczx0f1h.default' folder for your bookmarks.html (around 86 kb more or less).

You need to make Firefox the default browser in order to link from Outlook. Under 'Tools/Options' select the 'general' tab and click on the checkbox to have Firefox check for default browser each time it loads, then click the 'Check now' button.  ;D

Tony

Well, everything's back to normal today  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony  8) 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

Firefox 2 has been released and still supports Win 98. Version 3 will not have Win98 support according to the Mozilla team.

Jeff

I upgraded to IE 7 and I am going to REVERT. >:(   It locks up all the time. Love the new tabs but its got issues as they always do
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

:-X :-X Nope, ain't gonna open my mouth.

Norm

Try the new Firefox 2.0, it's stable and has a built in spell checker. Also get the adware blocker add-on. Brett (my son) is using ie 7 and is having the same problems you are having.

pineywoods

Been using firefox for quite a while. I like it. No popups, no lockups, just does what it's supposed to do..  running win98se
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pigman

I have been using firefox for a couple of months after reading this thread. I like it and it lets me see the members map without locking up this old ME computer. 8) I also like the easy spell check. The spell check does not help much when I don't know the first letter of the word I am trying to use. ::)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

PineNut

Firefox is the browser I use. Have never used internet explorer on a regular basis, only when I had to for a site that would not run on firefox (or netscape before firefox.)

Tom Sawyer

Used to be that you needed to use IE for Windows updates.  Now there is a Firefox extension that tricks the Windows update website into letting you do it from Firefox.  Therefore, there is no longer a reason to use IE at all!   ;D Of course if you have your computer to update Windows automatically then this is not an issue. :) :)

Quartlow

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 26, 2006, 02:32:39 AM
I've considered going Linux too, but now that I have switched to Mac in the last year, I can't think of a good reason to use Linux anymore.  I still might do it sometime just for fun! ;D

I can think of a big reason,,FREE!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Quartlow on November 03, 2006, 07:25:38 AM
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 26, 2006, 02:32:39 AM

I can think of a big reason,,FREE!!!

Yeah, but when you buy a computer it generally has an operating system on it.  I just buy one with Mac OSX instead of Windows.

I actually have started playing with Ubuntu recently and someday when I have time I want to get into it a bit more.  OSX looks prettier though ;D

Jeff

I really like the map add-on for firefox2  NICE ! Just high light an address and you get a pop up yahoo map.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dave7191

I've had to go back to 1.5 on this older puter 2.0 won't let me into the forestry forum  it will go to the opening page and when i try togo into the forums it sends me to google forestry forum rules  I'm running win. 98

asy

Oooh, boss, where's that addon???  Do you have a url for the download?

brdmkr

One thing I have noticed.  When I play online video in the MS video player, I get popups.  When I installed Firefox, I did not unistall all of the IE mess and I am still using the MS media player.  Somehow the popups can come in through the media player even when the media is accessed via Firefox.  I think a new media player default is in order.

Bill

Just downloaded firefox 2 ( for mac osx ) and so far so good. Will be installing it on a couple friends windows ( 98se and xp ) real soon - ABM  ( anything but microsoft ) .

You heard this tale ( which I have no reason to believe is wrong ) -

Bill Gates wrote a payroll system for the school he was in when he was a youngin. Turns out payroll has to work every week and needs correct updates when the tax law changes. He figured out real quick he didn't like living by other people's needs/rules/deadlines but would rather make them and have others live by his - never did another program where he had to comply with spec's 'ceptin his own.     :o

Thank You Sponsors!