iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540a transmission

Started by ga jones, May 28, 2015, 11:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ga jones

Have a 540a that the transmission acts like it comes out of gear. It just free wheels. It doesn't matter if it has a load on it or not. Up hill down hill flat and in any gear. Any ideas? It will do it when ever no sign.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

deere540

Hello ga Jones.   It sounds like you are losing hydraulic  pressure to run the transmission (charge pump might be weak).   Check the pickup screen first, might just be full of crud.   ( These transmission can't really  "come out of gear" since the planetary transmission relies on combinations of clutches and brakes to provide gear changes.  The gears are constantly engaged in the planetaries)  Do you have the service manual? There are pressure checks you can perform to narrow it down.

deere540

Check the shift arms that control the gear changes and f-n-r also.  They are made out of aluminum and can wear out over time, and may cause the tranny to act funny.  I had a problem with mine not going into reverse and it was these arms not shifting all the way to put the transmission into gear.  (Much cheaper and easier fix than a Trans pump) 

ga jones

Thanks for the reply. I will check the shift arms and the suction screen first and go from there.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!