iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to charge for milling tropical hardwood?

Started by teakwood, August 08, 2019, 06:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

the wood mizer blade is the same thickness than my normal blades. 0.045" and the agent also told me that my sawmill is probably too small for that blade.
what i don't get is, if the kerf i need to cut is the same thickness why would the sawmill need more hp with different blades??
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Southside

Which profile is it and what do you have for HP on your mill?  The carbide 7° from WM is not the deep gullet like the turbo 7 is so I agree with you there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

teakwood

Ianab

If the logs are smaller then the HP requirements should be less too? Having 24" of band in the wood must need more power than only 12".
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

steeper cut angles take a more aggressive bite and would take more hp.  softer wood usually uses a lesser angle so it does not take more than the gullet can handle.  I use 7 degree on everything but I have a 38 hp motor.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

i'm pretty sure my mill will be sufficient, it won't be fast but a manual mill never is. The logs are small diam and very short so i just go slower if the hp's aren't sufficient

teakwood

ok, today i met with my client in her plantations, after arriving i ask, where are the trees??  here she told me,....  every 3m where a cocobolo tree with 2-4" diam. 
every here and there the are some with 8-12" and then there are some old grown ones with a nice 20+" diam.
so from the initial 3000trees she told me she has, 2800 are useless, maybe 200 are small/mid sized and 15 are nice trees. 
You have to understand that cocobolo is a very unregular tree, if you're lucky the main log will give you 7' and after that it's all branches with more curves than a mountain road.

I tried to explain here the basics of wood, timber and sawing. had to bring her down back to earth, she thought that 50 of the small trees will give a container load . I explained that she maybe gets one load of all the trees she has. 
after that she left and let me there with her right hand which is actually an old friend of mine. half in the conversation i knew that she was getting annoyed with me.

after she left we dropped a 10" tree and i took it home, the first log (3'long) had 4" of heart  

I did the test run with the bimetal blade and it works like a charm.

the employee told me that she does that some times but afterwards she calms down and is back to listening, the heck i have a strong character too, so we will see if something good comes out of all that.

But i learned that my sawmill is perfectly capable of milling the hardest wood and that i like the new bands. 
In Life everything has to be seen as a gained experience.

Banjo picker

Teak, you sure seem to have a good attitude.   Some of the experiences I gain I could do with out and wish I had never had to come to grips with them.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

teakwood

well yeah, you have to learn disappointment here, normally it's just bla bla if anybody comes to you with a brilliant business idea. 
also if you sell something like a car or truck, half of the possible buyers don't even have the money but they still negotiating.

Didn't heard back from the client yet, so probably won't.

Thank You Sponsors!