iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Notificatins showing up as spam?

Started by John Mc, September 26, 2018, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Is anyone else suddenly having all of their Forestry Forum email notifications flagged as spam? I've been getting them normally all along, but starting todayeverything is being flagged as spam.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Mc

Apparently, it's not gmail - it's not flagged when I look at it via their webmail site.

I guess something in my browser is flagging it - and I was mistaken, it's saying that it is a potential SCAM, not "spam". So far, the only way I've found to turn that off is to turn off all scam notifications. Not a big deal, they still show up in my inbox. I'll figure it out or just live with it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ianab

What email client are you using? 

If Gmail isn't flagging it, then Outlook (or whatever) is doing it. You will need to add it to a "whitelist" in that, so that it's internal spam filtering ignores it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

I'm using Thunderbird on a Mac. As I mentioned, it thinks this is a scam, which it treats separately from spam. I can't find anyway to edit preferences for scam detection - just turn it on or off.

Ianab

Thunderbird Email calls it "Safe Senders"

Add the address you want to receive mailings from to your Safe Senders list:

• On the Tools menu, click "Options".
  • On the Preferences tab, click "Junk E-mail".
  • On the Safe Senders tab, click "Add".
  • In the Add address box, copy and paste in username@domain.com and click OK.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

The menu setup is different on Thunderbird for a Mac (at least it is on my version, which is the current version: 52.9.1)

I did look up Thunderbird help on the subject. Someone had already asked about the problem of messages being incorrectly identified as a scam. They had already added the sender to their address book, and "enabled adaptive junk mail controls for this account"

The answer they received was "Scam detection and Junk are two different things. The only adjustment for Scam detection is to turn it on or off."

So it looks as though my only option is to turn off scam detection in Thunderbird, or live with the red alert bar showing up for these emails. For the time being, I'm choosing the latter.

John Mc

I learned a bit more about Thunderbird's scam detection. It's very rudimentary. It appears that anything with a link that includes some sort of click tracking sets it off. More basically: a link which goes to a different site than what the displayed text of that link indicates. Here's the example shown in Thunderbird's Scam Detection explanation:

QuoteLinks where the text doesn't match the server name (for example, the text of the message might say "https://secure.example.com" but the link actually goes to "http://phishing.example.com" instead). Phishers do this to fool you into going to their site. Unfortunately some legitimate mailing lists also do this with redirectors for tracking purposes.
There are other things which set it off, but I'm guessing that is what is causing the issue in this case.

I wonder if the displayed text for the link did not look like a URL if that would still set off the scam detection. (For example if the if the unsubscribe link just displayed unsubscribe instead of "http://forestryforum.com/..."