iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

GAB

Quote from: Tacotodd on October 26, 2021, 05:12:00 PM
Quote from: Wudman on October 26, 2021, 01:56:46 PM
Quote from: Southside on October 26, 2021, 01:52:06 PMGuess they need to be idiot proofed. ::) ::)
Dad used to say "as soon as something is made idiot proof, they just come out with a better class of idiot".
Thanks for enlightening me to the fact that there are classes of idiots.  I always thought they were pretty much from the same mold.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on October 27, 2021, 09:06:20 AM
We know that Murphy follows all of us around and at any given time will remind us of his primary law and subsequent corollaries.  It can happen to anyone of us at anytime.  
Especially when tired, in a hurry, or have an audience.
I had an audience member once ask in front of a group of spectators if the logs had been sustainably harvested.
My reply, (loud enough for all to hear) was these are logs from trees that came down during hurricane Irene.  This is a salvage operation.  Salvage what you can.  He left not looking back as I was looking at him as the others in the group were also.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

K-Guy

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 26, 2021, 03:20:47 PMThere's more than a few guys here that could line up for that casting call. Just sayin'

Are you volunteering??? smiley_blue_bounce
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

K-Guy

From one of my old sergeants years ago

" If you are doing something even if it's wrong, you are still doing something."
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

GAB, I broke up reading that!! :D I wonder if he is from BC, I am surrounded by the enviro wackos.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 27, 2021, 11:43:47 AM
GAB, I broke up reading that!! :D I wonder if he is from BC, I am surrounded by the enviro wackos.
Glad to hear it made part of your day.
In answer to your question: I have no idea where he was from.  He asked one question and I answered it.  He left and left me with the audience watching the sawing.
GAB

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: K-Guy on October 27, 2021, 10:37:02 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 26, 2021, 03:20:47 PMThere's more than a few guys here that could line up for that casting call. Just sayin'

Are you volunteering??? smiley_blue_bounce
No thank you. I don't have any time for volunteer work these days. :D
 Actually I am probably as qualified as the next guy, but I am done with 'performance work' for a while.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 27, 2021, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: K-Guy on October 27, 2021, 10:37:02 AM

Are you volunteering??? smiley_blue_bounce
No thank you. I don't have any time for volunteer work these days. :D
Actually I am probably as qualified as the next guy, but I am done with 'performance work' for a while.
OG:
Hang in there your next opportunity is just around the corner.
You may not notice it at first but soon you will realize it.
GAB

Crossroads

I must be slipping, I've fit into this topic twice now in about a week. 
We're in the process of getting electricity pulled into our place. Last night I was digging the trench to lay conduit from the house to the meter base. There is a section that is pretty steep and I was backing down with the blade downhill. I was about half way down the hill and needed to move again, I lifted the blade and moved about a foot. Apparently there was a hump and the move was enough to break over and over backwards I started to go. I tried to reach out and down with the boom but it was to late and I was going for a ride. I had my seatbelt on and grabbed the oh crap bars. I went straight over backwards, then flopped over on the right side. Got the engine shut off and went to get the skiddy to flip the excavator back on its feet. All in all, I'm extremely lucky to have not gotten hurt and there was no damage to the excavator. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

Wow!  Glad you and the equipment are ok!  I imagine your britches weren't!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

Whoa.  I'm glad you are able to tell us this story.  No seatbelt and you may not have  been around to tell the tale.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Glad your OK. Check all the fluids are good yet, might want to tether off a cable like a shovel logging machine on a slope next time. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jim_Rogers

Finally got around to fixing it, the other day:

It came with a whole new harness but I just plugged the bulbs from the old one into the new lens.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crossroads

Thank you! I was able to finish the trench this morning. Started by smoothing out that hump and made darned sure to keep the bucket close to the ground.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I'm cutting wood next to the road. I park the tractor sideways and I ran the cable down to a tree. I got on the the tractor and parked it in the road to winch the tree to me to get a straight pull. This way I can see if someone is on the road. It's a dead end dirt road, but gets a lot of traffic. I did this 3 times today. I start to winch and somehow the cable was under the winch. Did not notice until I hear an odd noise and the end results was a frayed cable. Got about 2 feet of it. Looks like I will lose about 20 feet. I guess I will check to see where the cable is from now on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crossroads on October 31, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
Thank you! I was able to finish the trench this morning. Started by smoothing out that hump and made darned sure to keep the bucket close to the ground.
Man, you got lucky! Glad yu are ok, I assume the machine is too. That was scary.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Crossroads

Thank you! I got the conduit all in this afternoon and will bury it in the morning, so I have 1 more trip down that hill. Seatbelt on and keep the boom low! 

Nebraska

Yikes  scary ride and very fortunate end.

WV Sawmiller

Wow! 3.5 weeks without a post here. That may be a record. Mine aren't Earth shattering so I'll add 2 for one.

Last week I changed the 6v battery on my deer feeder with a recharged one and stuck the old one in my coat pocket for the trip back down the mountain on my ATV. When I got off I smelled ozone or such and thought maybe it was the brakes on my ATV till I noticed my right coat pocket was smoking. I pulled the battery out and one of the spring type poles had completely melted free. There went about $15 bucks down the drain. I don't know if the 2 poles touched in my pocket or they touched my loaded magazine for my 7600 30-06 Remington pump or one of the spare bullets I had in there. I did not see any marks on the mag or any of the bullets.

Then yesterday I shot a pretty little spike buck out of my upper (Chipmunk house) shooting house. It is 6' square with open windows on all 4 sides but I guess in the past I always eased the tip of the rifle barrel out and rested it on the window sill. Because of the angle (and a 15 yard shot) I did not need to do that this time. Boy did my ears ring after that. (I confess - I don't wear hearing protection when hunting. I use them religiously when sawing and practice shooting but not when hunting.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Here's my contribution. ;D A grease gun on a brake caliper bleed screw is pretty dumb. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!