iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Never have had a grapple fall of the loader.  Oh wait, I don't own a grapple.  My bucket may or may not have fallen off because the operator forgot to latch the pins......
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

K-Guy

This thread could also be called:

" Things I've done or will if I get the chance to!!"
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

That's right @K-Guy .  I don't have a grapple, but if I did that would be an opportunity to put it on and forget to close the latches.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Quote from: Nebraska on October 25, 2021, 11:29:18 AM
Any body ever pick up their grapple bucket and forget to close the latches on the quick attach? Just asking...
I did that last month one Friday after work, trying to hurry to get my trailer unloaded and then get my Dad to the clinic.  Thankfully, I did not tear the hydraulic lines off of the grapple/tractor.  Luckily, I was able to get it back on the tractor without any damage.  I was reluctant to post here about it.
i
Caveman

Southside

I have a power broom that runs off the Lull since I did some modification work to her, we use it to remove infill from turf.  Still have a couple of things to tidy up on it but it works great.  One of the things I need to do is fabricate a lock for the squirt boom as that becomes disabled when the broom runs since I used that valve port.  For now we use a chain and binder to hold the boom in place.  Hey - is anybody else hearing that foreshadowing music in the background right now?

Anyway I dropped the broom and put the forks back on the other day, went to extend the squirt boom to purge any air in the line - there is that impending doom music again - when two things happened at the same time.  A 30-06 was discharged right over my head and struck the backup mirror and I remembered that I had not removed the chain and binder from the squirt boom so I immediately, although just a wee tad bit too late, retratcted said squirt boom.  Walked over to the other side and there was my chain binder, in two pieces, along with the backup mirror in quite a few more.  

Oh well, the frame of the mirror was rusty anyway and would have needed to be replaced.  Can't say the same for the binder.  On the bright side it seems I have good hydraulic pressure in that circuit.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

:o :o I can imagine that got your attention!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

I did it this morning.  With a group of students heading to the National FFA Convention I was at a TSA check point in Tampa International Airport when I realized while emptying my pockets I had, out of habit, put my two bladed Case hunter knife in my pocket.  

I really did not want to part with it and had already checked my bags so putting it in them was not an option.  I explained my transgression to the friendly TSA fellow and he helped me get it packaged and in the mail back to my home address.  $22 gladly spent.  The knife was a gift from my oldest daughter and my only grandson.

This was all before 6 a.m.  The day is still young.  Doing dumb things often hurts or is expensive.  Sometimes it is both.

Southside, your Lull incident seems like something I'd do.
Caveman

wisconsitom

No equipment got damaged on this one, although one of my ribs is either cracked or bruised now;  Needed just a little container to put just a little herbicide in for just one little itty bitty job-didn't want or need whole jug.  Was at city garage looking in garbage cans-actually these large plastic recycling containers-and spied what I needed down at the bottom-someone's used coke bottle.

Leaned over the side and finger tips could just barely touch the bottle, so of course, I hoisted my trunk up over the edge, putting all my weight down on one small spot on my chest, to reach said item at bottom of can.

Guess you shouldn't do that lol!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

terrifictimbersllc

Hoping there wont be a post coming about the coke bottle with herbicide in it.  :'(  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

I can't imagine.  A little search proved I don't have to! :D

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

trimguy

Caveman, I did that for five years ago add an airport, last year my daughters college graduation. But neither of mine had sentimental value. I was always told, if you have your britches on you need to have a knife in your pocket, And I do.

Wudman

Quote from: Southside on October 26, 2021, 12:03:40 AM
I have a power broom that runs off the Lull since I did some modification work to her, we use it to remove infill from turf.  Still have a couple of things to tidy up on it but it works great.  One of the things I need to do is fabricate a lock for the squirt boom as that becomes disabled when the broom runs since I used that valve port.  For now we use a chain and binder to hold the boom in place.  Hey - is anybody else hearing that foreshadowing music in the background right now?

Anyway I dropped the broom and put the forks back on the other day, went to extend the squirt boom to purge any air in the line - there is that impending doom music again - when two things happened at the same time.  A 30-06 was discharged right over my head and struck the backup mirror and I remembered that I had not removed the chain and binder from the squirt boom so I immediately, although just a wee tad bit too late, retratcted said squirt boom.  Walked over to the other side and there was my chain binder, in two pieces, along with the backup mirror in quite a few more.  

Oh well, the frame of the mirror was rusty anyway and would have needed to be replaced.  Can't say the same for the binder.  On the bright side it seems I have good hydraulic pressure in that circuit.  
To add to that:  I was chaining the squirt boom up the other day after putting the broom on and couldn't find the binder.  I went over to Southside at the milking shed to ask where it was........got the story.  He could have fibbed on the mirror.  The back of it was Swiss cheese and the glass could have just fallen out.  I've wanted to replace that man killer binder with a ratchet one anyway.   ;D
Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Resonator

I drove flatbed semi for years, I had a "snap" binder on a load someone else chained down almost break my fingers one time when I tried to unhook it. We'd have guys putting a 5' pipe on the end of the snap handle, and just about rip the side rail off the trailer from being so tight. Every load I would secure would have ratchet binders on it. Period. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

So to add to the add that Wudman did when I hooked up the power broom I connected the hydraulic lines to themselves not to the broom, so no power to the broom. This was before breaking the binder.

Ball is in your court @Wudman  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

Something in the water down there where you 2 are?? lol lol  :)
A1

Wudman

Quote from: Southside on October 26, 2021, 01:52:06 PM
So to add to the add that Wudman did when I hooked up the power broom I connected the hydraulic lines to themselves not to the broom, so no power to the broom. This was before breaking the binder.

Ball is in your court @Wudman  :D
Broom to cylinder......Broom to power.....The hoses connected.  Guess they need to be idiot proofed. ::) ::)
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Southside

We find a guy to play the role of Curly and we have ourselves a tribute show.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on October 26, 2021, 02:21:45 PM
We find a guy to play the role of Curly and we have ourselves a tribute show.  :D
There's more than a few guys here that could line up for that casting call. Just sayin'
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Whoob-whoob-whoob! laugh_at smiley_clown smiley_jester smiley_mad_crazy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Nebraska

So I went home for lunch and went out to the mill for bit, just to set up in case i can mill this evening...Found out I set the last log on the mill about four inches too far over for clamping it correctly. Not a big deal.... but I took the grapple  bucket off again... ::) 

Tacotodd

Quote from: Wudman on October 26, 2021, 01:56:46 PM
Quote from: Southside on October 26, 2021, 01:52:06 PMGuess they need to be idiot proofed. ::) ::)
Dad used to say "as soon as something is made idiot proof, they just come out with a better class of idiot".
Careful what ya ask for; ya just might get it :-\.
Trying harder everyday.

fluidpowerpro

I noticed how many replies this post has had. I compared it to the next few pages in the sawmilling topic and its as far as I can tell, it has way more than any other. 
I conclude either sawmillers do a lot of dumb things or are one of the few honest enough to admit it....
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Old Greenhorn

If you don't do something dumb once in a while, you probably aren't doing much at all. I think folks here are just humble enough to admit that and also hope to save others from repeating certain mistakes. The exceptions to this are the natural rites of passage such as milling backstops and putting a chain on backwards, which we all admit are pretty much required. Still, I am also quite certain there are some things we have all done that nobody is willing to share here. Well, not me, but some folks. :D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SawyerTed

We know that Murphy follows all of us around and at any given time will remind us of his primary law and subsequent corollaries.  It can happen to anyone of us at anytime.  This thread is a but meager defense against that infernal man and his laws.

Thankfully, we mostly have both a great sense of humor for our own mistakes and for what of ourselves we see in others.  Most importantly we do have some empathy for our brothers and sisters when something dumb causes some pain.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on October 27, 2021, 09:06:20 AM
.......Most importantly we do have some empathy for our brothers and sisters when something dumb causes some pain.
I find it interesting and telling the wya in which yu chose to phrase that. Quite true though. In fact sometimes I read these and as I am grimacing and tightening my groin I also have tears of laughter on my cheeks. (Mostly because I had already make that mistake myself and could now share in the 'glory.')

Thank You Sponsors!