iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dying trees

Started by jerry sundberg, August 28, 2020, 07:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry sundberg

I have several Scots and Red pine that are dying from the ground up. I see no evidence of insects until the trees are dead. Usually the diseases' don't effect two different spieces the same way. The needles on the trees are not eaten they just get less and less. No new growth showing. These trees are only 60 years old and should live longer I think. Any ideas guys?
Farmall  man

Clark

Any changes to the site? Too much water (and that isn't much for red pine) could cause the symptoms you describe.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

jerry sundberg

No changes in the area that I can see. This has been a gradual happening starting on the South end of the grove on the West side of our garden area.They are a good 25 feet away from the garden which is all organic.
Farmall  man

LarchMan

There are a number of diseases that may be responsible for something like this.  There are several needle casts that can result in needle loss, often leaving a lion's tail look with very little needle retention.  

Another possibility is a root rot, these can often first show up as needle loss though usually the needle loss from a root rot starts from the extremities down and is usually rather sudden relative to a needlecast which often gets progressively worse.

There isn't enough information in the original post to really make a diagnosis but it might be possible from images of the overall tree, the affected branches and close-ups of affected needles. If possible look on retained but diseased-looking needles for any signs of fungal fruiting structures as these are very diagnostic for what the disease may be if that is indeed the problem.

jerry sundberg

They do look like needle cast as they have the lions tail look. Also I was wondering about the pine bark beetle. I don't know if they have come to Minnesota yet.
Farmall  man

Boreal et al

I have watched 3.9 million acres of forest burn out here in California this year.  It is horrifying.  The ambient air temperature has increased by 4 degrees.  The toxic ambient air constituents from wildfires in California, Oregon, Utah, Colorado has traveled eastward to Wisconsin and around the globe.  Excessive carbon dioxide causes stomata (leaf pores) to open up releasing too much moisture.  Fertilizer runoff has  challenged water tables to such an extent it is drying our trees from the roots up.  Draining adjacent wetlands exacerbates tree death. You'll see smoldering smoke rising from the ground instead -- Lake Hula (1958) to the Sespe Oil Fields   (ground temperature 812 degrees Fahrenheit) in Las Padres National Forest and more.   And the earth's core has shifted from mining, drilling, explosives and missiles a tad more than than nature's wonders are prepared to withstand, so there is excessive radiation pouring through the geomagnetic field (it impacts more than communication satellite electronics).  Pesticides have poisoned our pollinators (e.g., honey bees) and the birds that transport  our seeds for us.  Robotic harvesting undermines citrus resiliency.  Basically the immune system of these trees are being stressed.  it is this combination of circumstances.   The insects show up for "left overs"  Of the 38,000 members of this forum I believe all are qualified to begin planting seeds in their area to help restore nature's balance.  I grew two pine trees in paper cups, a mesquite tree from a seed pod, an apple seedling (a grateful squirrel ate), six orange trees and a miracle tree i have yet to identify.  They all thrived in my living room window until ready for the "real world." Next: an American Chestnut?  I hope forum members will do the same and reforest our planet. 59 million acres of forest have burned in the last decade in the USA.  If it is to be, it is up to me and you.  I hope the moderators will arise to this occasion and help out.  When it comes to climate change adaption issues analysis; I state "we should not have to adapt."  Nor should our beloved wildlife. Every time an oak tree drops an acorn, a happy squirrel hears it. Let them plant butternuts and walnuts for us.  My local chip monks too planted sunflower seeds for the future. That is the wisdom of nature.  Sometimes it is best to let nature live in your eye, not die in your hand. Now is the time.

When a tree grows a forest, everyone hears it!
Squirrels, deer, bears, field mice, hawks, eagles --all of us hear the seeds of greatness landing at our feet.  Acorns, pine cones, apples, cherries, mesquite pods, olives and more. Plant a seed today, to leaf the planet better than we found it.

Tristen

Their pine and they are 60 years old and they are dying,  get them on the saw mill.   Plant two new ones for every one you take out, in 60 years your kids or grandkids will have twice as much lumber.     If you are trying to save 40 trees it might be better to just harvest them and replant,  If you are trying to save 1000 pine trees it might be worth fighting the cause of your problem.  
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

ppine

Pines like well drained soils.  Sometimes clayey soils, wet winters, and poor drainage takes them out. 

Look carefully at the needles and the bark for signs of insects and disease. 
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!