The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did You know - outdoor edition  (Read 44232 times)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Did You know - outdoor edition
« Reply #1240 on: October 26, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
Well I had no idea sun flower seeds could get worms…
Very small worms.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #1241 on: October 26, 2021, 06:16:35 PM »
I think it is some sort of moth that lays eggs either on sunflower seeds or maybe they drill a hole through the seed husk and deposit the egg inside the seed. Leave an open bag of sunflower seed around for a while in warm weather and you get them. The telltale sign of bad seeds is a tiny pinhole in the seed husk which looks like the hole in acorns that are wormy. I'm sure that forum members who collect acorns to plant or eat know to check for those pinholes and reject the acorns with holes. Birds quickly reject wormy sunflower seed; I suspect that they pick up a seed and bite down to feel for the presence of a seed meat. If it crushes easily the seed is not good and they reject it.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1242 on: October 26, 2021, 08:09:19 PM »
   I can't answer whether the deer smelled the worm or the acorn smelled bad but he knew not to eat them. I never thought about sunflower seeds getting worms but it make sense they would.

I had a sack of Chinese chestnuts my fishing partner gave me and ate several and they were pretty good but the other day my wife notice little white white worms all over the living room floor. I took the chestnuts outside ad up to the deer feeder when I went hunting. The last I saw there was one busy chipmunk trying to bury them all. I guess the worms did not bother him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #1243 on: October 27, 2021, 06:20:29 AM »
Going back to stunning fish, I heard that pulverized mullen leaves in still water would do the same thing.

I don't think there is a grain that does not get wormy, it seems if there is food there is a mouth or mouths to feed on it.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1244 on: October 27, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »
Going back to stunning fish, I heard that pulverized mullen leaves in still water would do the same thing.

I don't think there is a grain that does not get wormy, it seems if there is food there is a mouth or mouths to feed on it.
I had some weevils show up in the house a few years back.  I went through the pantry looking in cereal boxes, oatmeal, flour, etc looking for the culprit.  I couldn't find a thing.  I had some grass seed in the basement.....Nope.  We were planning to have a few friends over and I went to set up my cornhole boards.  I found the culprit.  My cornhole bags had turned to dust.  The natural corn bags now live in the freezer.  The synthetics don't.
Wud
“You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can’t kill the spirit of patriots and when they’ve had enough this madness will end.”
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline wisconsitom

• Deep in the larch
    • Share Post
« Reply #1245 on: October 27, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »
I had some crackers I like a lot that have flax seeds in them.  I am fine with that, for both flavor, texture, and health reasons, but when some of these seeds on my plate started moving around, I knew we had trouble.

All told, a bit of extra protein that time.
Far as I can tell, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Offline Old saw fixer

• Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1246 on: October 27, 2021, 04:06:20 PM »
     I wouldn't have noticed the movement, I eat from container to mouth as I read or watch the TV.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #1247 on: October 27, 2021, 07:38:13 PM »
Wife and I have had issues with moths/worms around a closet where we store dry cereal products in the kitchen. I think that they are Indian Meal Moths. I bought some glue traps labeled for them and didn't have much success. Ended up buying Black Flag brand "Pantry Pest Traps" and put it on the wall right next to the ones that didn't work. The Black Flag caught them hand over fist. No, I'm not a paid endorser.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1248 on: October 27, 2021, 09:20:09 PM »
   Did you know that a whitetail deer can stand erect on its hind legs? I know this sounds like a Far Side cartoon but it is common to see a deer standing on its hind legs under an apple tree or such to reach the apples. We raised a pet doe fawn many years ago and found if we held the bottle up Spot would stand on her hind legs to reach it and drink. That was the first I ever knew of them being able to do that. She had amazingly good balance too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #1249 on: October 28, 2021, 04:51:30 AM »
👍⬆️
Trying harder everyday.

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1250 on: October 28, 2021, 04:58:37 AM »
I knew that after I seen this video a few years ago lol

Deers can throw hooves!

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1251 on: October 28, 2021, 06:52:50 AM »
   Too much doe in heat lure. I spotted it right off. :D
Howard Green

Offline wisconsitom

• Deep in the larch
    • Share Post
« Reply #1252 on: October 28, 2021, 08:03:14 AM »
In these parts, white-cedar is a species which although highly desirable, is having difficulty reproducing due to deer.  Well, I plant lots of white-cedar and have seen the specs-they can nibble off the tops on these trees until the trees have reached almost ten feet in height!  That's hind-leg action for sure.
Far as I can tell, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1253 on: October 28, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »
   Did you know that many wild animals come to associate the sounds and smell of humans with food rather than fearing them? Examples are alligators that get fed by thoughtless people or fishermen cleaning their catch near boat docks and landings. Bears out west quickly learn to associate the sound of a rifle shot with a free meal in the form of a gut pile from a field dressed deer, elk, sheep, or such. (You'd think they would normally run from a gunshot but especially since in many states they are protected and the hunter can only shoot one in self-defense they are more likely to get a free meal than to get shot.)

Deer in the south where I was raised learned to associate the sound of chainsaws running from loggers and pulp-wood cutters with easy access to fresh-cut treetops and vines and such that they could not normally access. it was common to see an old worn out single-shot shotgun in a gun rack in a worn out pulpwood truck that looked like it cost less than the gun but those pulpwooders carried that shotgun because they killed a lot of deer around the log landings and such which came when they heard them.

Monkeys and baboons and such are big problems in campgrounds throughout Africa and will get into cars and tents and such. Some even got on the porch and opened the fridge there in our lodge on the Kruger Game Preserve in South Africa and stole our fruit and veggies he had bought. We saw a tourist stop at an overlook on Kruger and they left the car door open and a monkey got in. We told them and they tried to chase it out. The opened the back hatch and a big bag of popcorn fell out and dozens of monkeys swarmed it grabbing handfuls of popcorn and running before the people or other monkeys could steal it from them.

Birds and monkeys would steal food off the outdoor tables in Kenya and the lodges had Masai and Samburu tribesmen in traditional attire with slingshots to chase them off but one still stole our toast, packages of sugar and jelly. I guess toast without jelly would just not be the same. My wife, guide and I were all eye-balling the last piece of French toast and sausage at breakfast at our campground in Namibia. We all wanted it but were too polite to take it from the others but a Vervet monkey ran in and grabbed them both and solved that question of who was going to get it.
Howard Green

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #1254 on: October 29, 2021, 02:18:09 AM »
Did you know that many wild animals come to associate the sounds and smell of humans with food rather than fearing them?

100% agree, just from observations, sometimes it's even instinctive. 

We have a small bird here called a fantail. it catches insects like mosquitoes etc on the wing. In winter when food is scarcer they will gravitate to any large animal that's wandering past. Cow, horse, human etc, they will flutter around picking off the bugs those big clumsy feet have disturbed. They can get so tame they will land on you sometimes. The native robin is another bird with no fear of humans and they will follow you around in the bush looking for bugs in the leaf litter you disturb as you walk. They are rare though as they have no predator sense and get taken out by cats and stoats etc. Fantails seldom get caught, they never fly in a straight line, so you can't predict where they will go next.

Fish will also learn. Longfin Eels will soon learn if there is food available, and get so "tame" you can hand feed them, or "feed them your hand" if you aren't careful. At a wildlife centre we visited they would feed the "wild" eels in the local stream at the same each day. About 1/2 an hour before feeding time they started arriving and staking out the best spots to grab food. This is maybe 30+ eels, 3 to 5 ft long in a small creek. So they knew not only the feeding spot, but the time of day as well. There is a small park in central New Plymouth that's also home to wild eels, but they know people eat lunch by the stream bank, and they are super keen on and scraps. No digits were lost, but they drew blood from this young fellow. 

Oscar cichlids are another smart fish. I had one that would recognise me (and beg for food). Anyone else comes up to the tank and he just swam about normally, but if I went up there he acted like an excited puppy. But only for me, not just any random human. 

The glass bottom boats in Rarotonga were another classic. They would motor out to a particular spot in a "reserve" section of the lagoon. No fish in sight when they first tie up to the buoy. About 60 seconds later there would be 100s of them appear. Sound of the boat approaching was their cue that lunch was on. They even had a "tame" conger eel that the guides would hand feed. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1255 on: October 29, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
Here is a video of a catfish that our daughter has 'tamed' and she can pet while it is eating.

IMG 9753 - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1256 on: October 29, 2021, 10:22:04 AM »
Lynn,

That was pretty neat but I bet Mr. Whiskers got suspicious when he smelled hushpuppy batter on your daughter's hands and headed for the deep water. :D

Ian,

Thanks for sharing and the prompt for the next topic. I had seen the eels there and on various survival type shows in NZ they would tie some rancid meat or such on a wool sock and catch them when they'd bite and get their eely teeth hung in it.

For today's topic did you know fish can be trained to return to sound? I read where a company was raising sea bream which were a pretty pricey fish for sale. They'd start them in captive pools and ring a bell every time they got ready to feed them. Next they released them in the ocean and would ring the bell and feed them at the same time every day but mostly the bream foraged and fattened on their own. When it came time to harvest them they had their nets ready, rang the bell and maybe threw some feed in the water then netted the bream that came. What amazed me was they said they recovered something like 95% of the fish they had released. I'd have thought they'd have lost much more than that to native predation.

They cut their production costs to almost nothing raising them in this fashion.
Howard Green

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #1257 on: October 29, 2021, 11:13:09 PM »
Did you know ants in a temp controller can wreck your water heater element, breaker and thermistat?

That made for some cold showers and head scratching until i broke the stat apart. 
Isaiah 63:10

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1258 on: October 30, 2021, 01:43:56 AM »
Mike, I saw something similar on Monday.  I was looking at a customer's gate opener looking for a "learn" button to program a remote controller.  The gate opener has some deck of card sized controllers plugged into it labelled "open", "close" and "middle".  Not sure how it works but there was a spare laying on the bottom of the box.  There were a couple of ants crawling on it.  So I picked it up and brushed them off.  Then a couple more appeared and I saw them coming out of it.  I quickly dropped it back in the cabinet and a horde of ants came out almost completely covering the spare controller!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1259 on: October 30, 2021, 02:02:12 AM »
   I had a boss one time who showed me a 1" square piece of tightly woven copper mesh wire and said that was basis the original computer computer systems so when a bug got into the system he'd short circuit that section of the copper mesh and mess up the program hence the name for a "computer bug" came from an actual bug crawling into the circuits. They'd have to open the computer and find where the bug was on the mesh, blow him out and possibly replace any damaged wiring where arcing had damaged the works. I think the one inch square piece of copper mesh was one bit of memory at the time.
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Empyre Outdoor wood stove /Any outdoor boiler

Started by KamHillbilly on Firewood and Wood Heating

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
by ButchC
xx
Husqvarna 372xp Original Edition vs. 372xp Current Edition "X-Torq" Saws.

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

69 Replies
Last post January 11, 2021, 10:43:28 AM
by weimedog
xx
Stihl 034 AV early edition

Started by doug9270 on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2021, 07:32:34 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Limited Edition LogRite