iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did You know - outdoor edition

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 21, 2020, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

I knew that after I seen this video a few years ago lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-jxH1Dm9A

Deers can throw hooves!
A1

WV Sawmiller

Too much doe in heat lure. I spotted it right off. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wisconsitom

In these parts, white-cedar is a species which although highly desirable, is having difficulty reproducing due to deer.  Well, I plant lots of white-cedar and have seen the specs-they can nibble off the tops on these trees until the trees have reached almost ten feet in height!  That's hind-leg action for sure.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

WV Sawmiller

Did you know that many wild animals come to associate the sounds and smell of humans with food rather than fearing them? Examples are alligators that get fed by thoughtless people or fishermen cleaning their catch near boat docks and landings. Bears out west quickly learn to associate the sound of a rifle shot with a free meal in the form of a gut pile from a field dressed deer, elk, sheep, or such. (You'd think they would normally run from a gunshot but especially since in many states they are protected and the hunter can only shoot one in self-defense they are more likely to get a free meal than to get shot.)

Deer in the south where I was raised learned to associate the sound of chainsaws running from loggers and pulp-wood cutters with easy access to fresh-cut treetops and vines and such that they could not normally access. it was common to see an old worn out single-shot shotgun in a gun rack in a worn out pulpwood truck that looked like it cost less than the gun but those pulpwooders carried that shotgun because they killed a lot of deer around the log landings and such which came when they heard them.

Monkeys and baboons and such are big problems in campgrounds throughout Africa and will get into cars and tents and such. Some even got on the porch and opened the fridge there in our lodge on the Kruger Game Preserve in South Africa and stole our fruit and veggies he had bought. We saw a tourist stop at an overlook on Kruger and they left the car door open and a monkey got in. We told them and they tried to chase it out. The opened the back hatch and a big bag of popcorn fell out and dozens of monkeys swarmed it grabbing handfuls of popcorn and running before the people or other monkeys could steal it from them.

Birds and monkeys would steal food off the outdoor tables in Kenya and the lodges had Masai and Samburu tribesmen in traditional attire with slingshots to chase them off but one still stole our toast, packages of sugar and jelly. I guess toast without jelly would just not be the same. My wife, guide and I were all eye-balling the last piece of French toast and sausage at breakfast at our campground in Namibia. We all wanted it but were too polite to take it from the others but a Vervet monkey ran in and grabbed them both and solved that question of who was going to get it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 28, 2021, 10:22:19 PMDid you know that many wild animals come to associate the sounds and smell of humans with food rather than fearing them?

100% agree, just from observations, sometimes it's even instinctive. 

We have a small bird here called a fantail. it catches insects like mosquitoes etc on the wing. In winter when food is scarcer they will gravitate to any large animal that's wandering past. Cow, horse, human etc, they will flutter around picking off the bugs those big clumsy feet have disturbed. They can get so tame they will land on you sometimes. The native robin is another bird with no fear of humans and they will follow you around in the bush looking for bugs in the leaf litter you disturb as you walk. They are rare though as they have no predator sense and get taken out by cats and stoats etc. Fantails seldom get caught, they never fly in a straight line, so you can't predict where they will go next.

Fish will also learn. Longfin Eels will soon learn if there is food available, and get so "tame" you can hand feed them, or "feed them your hand" if you aren't careful. At a wildlife centre we visited they would feed the "wild" eels in the local stream at the same each day. About 1/2 an hour before feeding time they started arriving and staking out the best spots to grab food. This is maybe 30+ eels, 3 to 5 ft long in a small creek. So they knew not only the feeding spot, but the time of day as well. There is a small park in central New Plymouth that's also home to wild eels, but they know people eat lunch by the stream bank, and they are super keen on and scraps. No digits were lost, but they drew blood from this young fellow. 
NZ’s eels New Plymouth - YouTube

Oscar cichlids are another smart fish. I had one that would recognise me (and beg for food). Anyone else comes up to the tank and he just swam about normally, but if I went up there he acted like an excited puppy. But only for me, not just any random human. 

The glass bottom boats in Rarotonga were another classic. They would motor out to a particular spot in a "reserve" section of the lagoon. No fish in sight when they first tie up to the buoy. About 60 seconds later there would be 100s of them appear. Sound of the boat approaching was their cue that lunch was on. They even had a "tame" conger eel that the guides would hand feed. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Here is a video of a catfish that our daughter has 'tamed' and she can pet while it is eating.

IMG 9753 - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

That was pretty neat but I bet Mr. Whiskers got suspicious when he smelled hushpuppy batter on your daughter's hands and headed for the deep water. :D

Ian,

Thanks for sharing and the prompt for the next topic. I had seen the eels there and on various survival type shows in NZ they would tie some rancid meat or such on a wool sock and catch them when they'd bite and get their eely teeth hung in it.

For today's topic did you know fish can be trained to return to sound? I read where a company was raising sea bream which were a pretty pricey fish for sale. They'd start them in captive pools and ring a bell every time they got ready to feed them. Next they released them in the ocean and would ring the bell and feed them at the same time every day but mostly the bream foraged and fattened on their own. When it came time to harvest them they had their nets ready, rang the bell and maybe threw some feed in the water then netted the bream that came. What amazed me was they said they recovered something like 95% of the fish they had released. I'd have thought they'd have lost much more than that to native predation.

They cut their production costs to almost nothing raising them in this fashion.
Howard Green

mike_belben

Did you know ants in a temp controller can wreck your water heater element, breaker and thermistat?

That made for some cold showers and head scratching until i broke the stat apart. 
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

Mike, I saw something similar on Monday.  I was looking at a customer's gate opener looking for a "learn" button to program a remote controller.  The gate opener has some deck of card sized controllers plugged into it labelled "open", "close" and "middle".  Not sure how it works but there was a spare laying on the bottom of the box.  There were a couple of ants crawling on it.  So I picked it up and brushed them off.  Then a couple more appeared and I saw them coming out of it.  I quickly dropped it back in the cabinet and a horde of ants came out almost completely covering the spare controller!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

I had a boss one time who showed me a 1" square piece of tightly woven copper mesh wire and said that was basis the original computer computer systems so when a bug got into the system he'd short circuit that section of the copper mesh and mess up the program hence the name for a "computer bug" came from an actual bug crawling into the circuits. They'd have to open the computer and find where the bug was on the mesh, blow him out and possibly replace any damaged wiring where arcing had damaged the works. I think the one inch square piece of copper mesh was one bit of memory at the time.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

Thanks for the inspiration for today's topic.

Did you know wildlife often causes power outages? The most common problems in America are caused by squirrels and snakes crawling up the poles and crossing the lines. In Africa elephants are bad about rubbing against the power poles and often push them over knocking out the power. One technique used to keep them away from them was to make a circle of stones around the poles that hurt the elephant's feet when they step on them so they avoid the poles. Here is a link to a buzzard that lit on the power lines about 1.5 miles from my house and was still smoking when I came by and took the picture.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=112275.msg1760917#msg1760917
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

This probably should be over in the food thread but the way I heard it was outdoors too. Did you know "Hush puppies" or as some old timers called them "Fried dough" were supposedly invented by southerners hunting and fishing and at the end of the day they would dip their fish in cornmeal and fry them for dinner. After they finished cooking their fish the hunting dogs with them would be howling and wanted to be fed so they would add a little water to the left-over corn meal and fry it in the hot fish grease and throw it to the dogs and tell them "Hush Puppies". I guess it looked pretty good and they tasted it and decided it tasted pretty good so they started improving on it by doing things like maybe adding an egg or two to the batter and a little flour to thicken and help it hold together then started flavoring with a little minced onion and maybe adding some beer for leavening or such. (I was never real clear where they got the beer from as all the associates I knew were teetotalers. :D)

Anyway, traditionally hushpuppies were made from the left-over corn meal used to coat the fish and fried in the fish grease.
Howard Green

mike_belben

I will say this about the temp controller... Those ants were a blessing.  I destroyed that one just to see how it worked once it tested dead, then found the ants who prevented contacts from fully closing which arc'd them to death.  When it did work it had about a 5 volt drop from input to output, which in hindsight, killed the element and a specialty breaker that was tough to find, all within a few days.

So i go in my waterheatery junk bin and theres the same model controller.. Hmm. Free is for me, im tired of 30-50 mile trips over this mess.  Clip back a little plastic to expose the contacts and theyre "shot" the same way. Thats why it was free right?

File them nice and shiny and flat, tape it up antproof and install.  No voltage drop and my wimpy water heater now boils me red.  I love hot showers and cant stand max temp on it now.  It used to run out after 10 minutes then wait 30. Now we are back to back showers as long and hot as ya want.  That 5v drop made it so the element couldnt heat at the flow rate during use.
Praise The Lord

Don P

My FIL made Captain Ahab look like a weekend fisherman. If you went out with him you were not coming back empty handed. You might not be coming back. When her older brother was courting he brought home a likely candidate to meet the family. A large seafood dinner was spread and as my wife's mother pointed and identified everything for the girl she got to the hushpuppies and the girl asked "Who caught them?". I only heard the story, never got to meet her.

Tacotodd

I never got to meet her; that's hilarious 👍
Trying harder everyday.

WV Sawmiller

You story reminds me one of my wife's students who was a real close friend of the entire family came to eat with us and brought his girlfriend, later who became his wife. I don't remember what we were having but the girl asked for the jelly or catsup or steak sauce or such and my wife told her it was in the fridge and she could just go ahead get it out. She opened the fridge and asked where it was and my wife told her "Just move those squirrels and the groundhog out of the way and I think it is behind them." I don't think she ever came back to eat with us again.

I think I have told this but when I was real little we went fishing with my Dad and Uncle on Governor Hill Lake in Dixie County in Central Fla. The fish were not biting so Dad said the way to make them bite was to pee in the lake so he did and it worked (or we moved to a better spot or something). When we got to the landing 2 old ladies were fishing with long cane poles typically used down there (20' plus length cane poles were real commonly used in the area). We asked them if they were catching anything and they said no so we told them they needed to pee in the lake to make them start biting. Dad was very embarrassed and apologized but they just laughed. I never did find out if they made the fish start biting.
Howard Green

Tacotodd

Your wife is the kind of mom that I WISH I would've had growing up. My mom would ruin any piece of wild game brought into the house. BUT, it's the reason that I can cook & process game so well. Who woulda thunk.
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

Speaking of which, I gotta go cook now for me and da missuz :-*
Trying harder everyday.

WV Sawmiller

Todd,

I think your mom and mine watched the same cooking shows and had the same home ec teacher growing up. I always took my wild game, mostly squirrels and rabbits in those days, to various neighbors or to my old mentor. Mom had no idea how to cook wild game - and not a lot of domestic meat if the truth be told. I can still remember Dad stirring the pot when he'd refer to dinner as "burnt offerings." It was not the smartest thing he ever said.
Howard Green

Don P

We got invited to Thanksgiving dinner with a couple when we were working on the road. It was, different. The smoke alarm would go off and he'd say "Turkey's ready". The air cleared and a few minutes later the alarm "Rolls are ready". Between courses we heard the oven door open, something being slid out and then a crash as the pie hit the floor. "So, how about some after dinner drinks". I suspect they were better than the pie. It was worth gnawing jerky for the comedy on the way home  :D.

Hilltop366

WV Sawmiller

(I typed this already this morning and lost it due to a lost connection so I'll try again).

Did you know that most catfish are actually more of a predator fish than a scavenger? (Remember the old joke - What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish? One is a scum sucking bottom dweller and the other is a fish.) While people think catfish hang out on the bottom of the river/lake wating on a dead fish, animal or plant debris to float by they are often more likely to be attacking a school of forage fish. Flathead catfish will almost never bite a cut bait or cheese bait or such and if you are targeting them you better be using an active, live bait such as a shiner, goldfish, shad or bream. They will also hit a smaller catfish but remember "smaller" is a relative term. I spotted a 9 lb flathead in the Flint River near Albany Ga on my trotline against a sand bottom, eased the net down, eased the line up and netted him then he turned loose of the 1 lb channel cat on my hook. He had swallowed and completely skinned it but had not gotten hooked. My son once wrestled a big flathead on a limbline with me here on the New River in WV for several seconds then it turned loose of the 5 lb catfish it had swallowed but not gotten hooked. FWIW - it takes a big catfish to swallow a 5 lb catfish!

Bass and crappie fishermen often catch a big catfish on a live bait imitating lure when fishing for bass or crappie. I watched Bill Dance on an episode where he caught a 40 lb flathead on a spinnerbait while fishing for bass.

While crappie fishing with my son and granddaughters in a treetop on the Bluestone River near here he hooked a 3/4 lb crappie on a 10' fiberglass crappie pole. The fish wrapped around a limb near the surface and he was holding tension hoping the fish would unwind itself. Suddenly there was a loud, commode flushing swirl and the crappie disappeared into the maw of a 25 lb flathead catfish. My son gave him slack but when he applied pressure there was nothing he could do with a 12 lb line and a #2 wire crappie hook.

I use small bream on my limblines and routinely catch large channel, blue and flathead catfish near the surface along the banks. My favorite spots are fallen tree tops that provide structure for bluegills and crappie and the big catfish are feeding on them in that thick brush. I lose a few hooks but catch big fish so if you are fishing for catfish forget the chicken livers and cut bait and use active live bream, shiners, shad or goldfish.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know a North American opossum will play dead to escape a predator it cannot otherwise escape from? It will "sull up" with its mouth open and eyes shut and when you touch it, it will just sort of grimace but will not move. When the predator leaves the possum will wait a while then get up and walk away. A hog nosed snake will use the same tactic.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know you can readily spot deer trails on the side of a steep mountain or hillside after a snow? When the snow starts to melt the snow laying on an angled slope catches the sun and melts first. The snow on the flatter trails catches less sun and lasts longer. Once most of the snow has melted you can look up and see little white fingers of snow all over the hillside that are the deer trails.
Howard Green

Hilltop366

I caught a perch but as i lifted it out of the water a bass caught it. When I got it reeled in and lifted up over the canoe they both fell off the hook in the canoe.

Thank You Sponsors!