iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your snowshoe experience?

Started by North to Alaska, March 06, 2021, 01:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugar

Old Greenhorn makes a good point with flex in the bindings etc.  I cut a couple of leaners today from a recent windstorm.  Had to keep the snowshoes on for the whole time due to deep snow,and let me tell ya it was real work. I went up to the knee a few times with the shoes on.  I really can't imagine a one size fits all scenario for snow shoes or skis.  There are to many variables. Next year I plan on adding some options to my kit. Another thing that always comes to mind when standing there ready to cut is,  if this goes wrong can I escape?  I approach it as I was taught in hunters ed.  Treat the situation like a loaded gun always.  Cutting trees in snowshoes is not the safest thing a person can do.  
Hooked up and Hard down

SwampDonkey

That's why I cut on bare ground. Even without shoes, if you're back side deep in snow and something goes wrong, you're no safer. How are you going to move? And I hate high stumps. So that puts the kibosh on winter tree cutting for me. I'd much rather burn it, from wood cut months before. I've never been desperate to put my life at risk. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

North to Alaska

Quote from: Sugar on March 07, 2021, 09:40:39 PM
Old Greenhorn makes a good point with flex in the bindings etc.  I cut a couple of leaners today from a recent windstorm.  Had to keep the snowshoes on for the whole time due to deep snow,and let me tell ya it was real work. I went up to the knee a few times with the shoes on.  I really can't imagine a one size fits all scenario for snow shoes or skis.  There are to many variables. Next year I plan on adding some options to my kit. Another thing that always comes to mind when standing there ready to cut is,  if this goes wrong can I escape?  I approach it as I was taught in hunters ed.  Treat the situation like a loaded gun always.  Cutting trees in snowshoes is not the safest thing a person can do.  
This is why I am asking here.
Not just the snow shoes that keep me afloat but tips on using them while cutting trees down.
Thank you 
Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

Clark

Bigger is better with snowshoes. I agree with the video that was posted above.

I think your best bet wearing shoes and cutting trees is to become familiar with and use the bore/plunge cut often. It will allow you to set everything up, get situated with your snowshoes so you can make tracks away from the tree and then slice the back side of the tree. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Corley5

A guy I know used to cut timber around here on snow shoes.  He used two saws too.  He'd fall with Jonsered 70 and limb with Jonsered 52.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ehp

up north most years you pretty much had to wear snow shoes if you were falling timber cause the snow was just way to deep , It takes abit to get use to but its for sure easier on you and alot faster to get away from the stump . I found the longer shoes with a long tail on them is alot harder to spin around and also made limbing the tree and topping harder cause the longer tail is always up on something . A good set of bear paws works well and 99.9% of the cutters use that style of shoe in that area 

Sauna freak

I've used 3 different "kinds"...traditional ash and rawhide, magnesium military surplus, and modern aluminum and synthetic abominations.  You can guess how I feel about the last kind.  They are mostly made for weekend nature lovers to hike on packed trails with weights on their feet.  OK on hard packed snow, worthless in the woods, lakes and rivers.  I thankfully got mine second hand for almost nothing, and passed them on for a similar price.

Of the traditional, I've used 3 different styles.  "Alaskan" (long and skinny kind of like a wide, webbed ski), Huron, and "Bear paw".  The Alaskans are fabulous in open country, and do well on deep snow, but are best for traveling in a straight line.  The Huron style is a compromise, and useful but not optimal in deep powder with improved maneuverability vs the Alaskans.  Bear Paw is best on hard pack or crust.  You'll flounder in deep powder, but still the best option in brushy woods without cleared trails or for high maneuverability work like chainsaw cutting.  Traditional shoes require significant maintenance and can fail catastrophically, but a well made set are a dream to use.

I use the military magnesium ones.  I've had the same set for 30 years, and I think I've got more miles on them than my truck with zero failures.  I've JB welded some sharp metal bits to the bottoms, and a sort of crampon cut from stainless for better traction on icy slopes.  I also reinforced the holes where the cable passes through the bow with JB weld.  In a pinch you can shave them to start a fire.  I just use a generic rubber "ski" binding, and keep a spare set when going in the wilderness.  This is the weak link.  They are decent on deep powder, and decent for trekking distance, but will not outperform Alaskan types in these conditions.  They are relatively maneuverable in the woods, but not as good as bear paws for this.  I do cut with them, but usually pack the area around my tree and my escape route, then un-shoe before felling or a hazardous cut on a hung or propped tree.

Hope this helps.  The choice will have to be yours based on your intended use.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Blue Noser

MSR snowshoes. You won't regret a penny.

petefrom bearswamp

Snowshoes?
Used them too much for 25 years ending in 2006 when I retired.
Mostly marking timber or tsi for firewood sales.
Dont miss using them one bit.
wore out 2 pairs and gave my son the last pair which were like new.
Westover's made close by here in Northville NY,  probably long gone by now.
Wife just bought a pair of aluminum ones to get some exercise.
I avert my eyes when walking past them.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Corruption Logs

We do a lot of felling in the wintertime in deep snow. Snowshoes can be a clumsy thing to get used to, but necessary for the work. We use the MSR Lightning Explore. I'm a small guy, 5' 6" 130pounds, and I like the women's size. They are small enough to be maneuverable, but have an additional tail piece that clips on and adds about 5". We are often working in snow over 5' deep and mostly on some steep slopes. 

I really like how easy it is to put these on and off. The bindings are similar to a snowboard binding and are very quick and secure. They also have climbing bars that you can pop up when going up steep inclines.
I think this style is a lot more rugged than the tube style. I have seen several tubes get kinks on a rock or stump and then fold up into a failed mess.

I like to go around and prep trees a few days ahead of felling them. Limbing all the low branches and packing in a ring around the tree that gives us proper space to work. Once that packed in ring sets for a few days, it is a lot easier to work on, as long as you don't get a dumping of fresh snow.

I know these shoes are more expensive than most, but the have held up really well. We use them most days for the past 3 winters, and they are still working just fine.

Corley5

This I what use in the sugar bush.  I like the bindings for ease of on and off.  They're not meant for powder but are great on crusty late season snow.  In powder I use my military surplus shoes.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Greyman

There's a reason there are so many types and varieties of snowshoes - there are the same number of types of snow.  It's best to inquire locally, but even then you'll get at least 3 different answers (and they're all right....).

snobdds

Quote from: Satamax on March 06, 2021, 06:30:41 AM
Best advice i can give you, get yourself backcountry or touring skis. Snowshoes are a pain imho.
This.
I have been on heli trips in Alaska where they drop us off in a snow field and we hike to the top of some spines to snowboard down.  I have a Jones split board that I put skins on and I walk on top of 20 feet of snow like its nothing.   We call it gliding on the snow,  but you can cover some country with not a lot of wasted energy. 

Lyndaker

The snow shoes you use are totally dependant on the type of snow you will be using them in and the terrain. I've had traditional with rawhide, wood framed with neoprene decks and modern aluminum. They all have their uses. I personally do not like the traditional as they simply do not hold up for crashing around in the bush. I prefer a wood frame with neoprene decks with a crampon. But as I mentioned it depends on your snow conditions. I've done a lot of cutting off snowshoes (and done a lot of cutting of snowshoes as well:-) If its cold (think below zero) the snow is fluffy and it takes a much larger shoe. If its in the 20's or 30's you can get away with a much smaller shoe as the snow is heavy but slippery. In warmer or steep conditions you definitely want a shoe with the crampon built in to the toe. As you walk it pivots down and keeps you from slipping. I can tell you from personal experience it is safer to cut with aluminum then wood frames. The reason being if you forget how far the toe sticks out under the snow, wood will not stop the saw but aluminum will. When your cutting in the bush you will often span down logs, crash through brush, step on beaver cut off stumps under the snow etc. All this is death on wimpy snow shoes. If there's lots of snow when you cut the tree it often disappears in the snow. I love cutting in the bush in the early winter before there's lots of snow and in the late winter when it has settled and gotten much solider. If you have a good utility skidoo and a sled for skidding you can haul some serious wood on a hard packed trail when its cold. I like to go in cut the trees, pack a good trail and then the next day get them when the trail is frozen. But this has gotten long. Good luck in your winter cutting. 

bushmechanic

Here in Newfoundland traditionally we use what was called "pot covers" for cutting in the winter. Just a plywood base with whatever was availible for bindings. Now for walking distances we used regular snowshoes.

Corruption Logs

Quote from: snobdds on March 11, 2021, 12:28:45 AM
Quote from: Satamax on March 06, 2021, 06:30:41 AM
Best advice i can give you, get yourself backcountry or touring skis. Snowshoes are a pain imho.
This.
I have been on heli trips in Alaska where they drop us off in a snow field and we hike to the top of some spines to snowboard down.  I have a Jones split board that I put skins on and I walk on top of 20 feet of snow like its nothing.   We call it gliding on the snow,  but you can cover some country with not a lot of wasted energy.

Skis are for traveling, not for standing out in the snow to work.
If you need to stand in the snow working on something in front of you, your ski tips will be in your way the whole time. 
They each have their purpose. 

Sauna freak

https://www.armynavysales.com/gi-military-magnesium-snowshoes-with-bindings.html  These are the shoes I was talking about.  If your terrain is mostly open, you might get a set of your local Alaskan style ones for hunting and trekking.  They sound amazing, and it's good to support a local craftsman and keep a dying art alive.  Don't know how bad they'll ding you on shipping to Alaska, but the military ones are tough and designed for rugged service, and at that price are probably worth putting up a pair.

My bindings were made from old inner tube by a local mad scientist, and since I can't find him on the internet anymore, I assume he has crossed the rainbow bridge.  I'd bet your local expert can hook you up with something useful.  None of the bindings I found in a quick search resemble the type I have.  They were cut for my size 13 feet and Viking Bushwhacker or military Bunny boots, and slipped on and off with a simple tension strap.  Good thing I still have 2 sets.  I'll have to find a new local mad scientist to make up some for me.  I've got a junk pair of neoprene "bog" boots that shall be sacrificed for binding material next.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

johndozer

I live in NW British Columbia and used to use snow shoes a fair bit for doing trail work. Last 8 years I have been using Altai Hoks which the manufacturer calls a ski shoe half way between a ski and a snowshoe. About 5 feet long, 4 inches wide with a section of plush (mohair) material that covers the middle 1/3 of the ski for traction. They climb pretty steep ground, glide on moderate downhills and get around well in tight bush. They are stable enough that you don't need poles, I am very comfortable running a chainsaw on mine and they are much faster than snowshoes for covering ground. My MSR snowshoes are unused since I got these

SwampDonkey

Quote from: johndozer on March 19, 2021, 11:54:49 PM
I live in NW British Columbia and used to use snow shoes a fair bit for doing trail work. Last 8 years I have been using Altai Hoks which the manufacturer calls a ski shoe half way between a ski and a snowshoe. About 5 feet long, 4 inches wide with a section of plush (mohair) material that covers the middle 1/3 of the ski for traction. They climb pretty steep ground, glide on moderate downhills and get around well in tight bush. They are stable enough that you don't need poles, I am very comfortable running a chainsaw on mine and they are much faster than snowshoes for covering ground. My MSR snowshoes are unused since I got these
They look interesting, but more then the budget could stand. I see they are out of stock at the site I checked like most snow shoes. Lots of city folk getting out in the winter parks.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I noticed most snowshoes out of stock here again this year except at Canadian Outdoor Equipment. No free shipping on long items like snowshoes. $430 bucks (incl. ship and tax) for bear paw shoes (elongated version) and bindings, traditional wood ones, made in Quebec by GV. Where I'm ordering from must be old stock because GV site is sold out. Grab'm and run. :D

Old Greenhorn

Did you wear out last years pair already?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 17, 2021, 05:47:36 PM
Did you wear out last years pair already?
Couldn't get any. My old Fabers I've had 15 years. This year getting GV ones in Quebec.  Faber is in Quebec to, but both companies sold out.

https://shop.gvsnowshoes.com/products/modified-bear-paw-patte-dours-modifiee

You city folk stay home so I can buy snowshoes!! :D :D

Outofbounds

Been on snowshoes every winter since I was 4 years old.
For bindings we use lamp wick.
For shoes for falling saw logs or hunting and trapping we typically use bear paw designs in various sizes depending on time of year as snow pack changes.

Lamp wick bindings are set and done.
No fuss off or on.
Safety number one.
No frozen buckles or broken plastic clips.
If working around water and go through ice easy to get shoes off hands free.
Treat the babiche and wood frames regularly, keep them out of the sun as UV is hard on the babiche.
Many years out of traditional shoes.
No squeaky noises in the cold.
If the ground is more open can't beat the full sized ojibwe style for flotation especially for the heavier fellas.

Bear paws take up less real estate on the sled versus strapping on full sized Ojibwe shoes.
Shoes used now only when selective cutting sawlogs and skidding out with snowmobile on late season crust.
Back when logged for the old man prior to the buncher days, we used to clear snow with TJ both when cut skid alone or if working two man crew.
If two man crew skidder operator cleared snow on next twitch on way back to choke up load that was felled so cutter had clear path to fell as load was on way back to deck.

SwampDonkey

I should have my new shoes Thursday afternoon. But it's raining here for 2 days. :-\ This year I'm staying off wet snow and thick encrusted snow. Oh well, there's always the road to walk in regular hiking boots. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!