iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tension Joinery

Started by barasingha, September 14, 2021, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barasingha

I have never seen a tension joint made like attaching an axe head and handle by way of a wedge... Why?

If a joint was designed that way would compression perpendicular to the grain be used instead of shear parallel?

JRWoodchuck

There is a lot of wedged mortise and tenon joinery in Japanese timber framing. I know they use that style because it's more conducive for all the earth quakes they have. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

doc henderson

I have used blind end wedges on bench legs that were a little loose.  I only use them when needed as they add some complexity.  measuring, calculating and some good old fashioned luck.  I used glue and drove in the tenon and the blind back of the mortice pushes the wedge into the slot as it expands the end.  so if the length of the slot or wedge are off relative to the slack in the mortice, then you cannot get it out for another try.  not to mention estimating the slot width and angle of the wedge.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ajsawyer

I believe the standard for tie beams is the wedged half dovetail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDKSoCeO8ps&t=310s

If you're interested in timber framing, I highly recommend Steve Chappell's book A Timber Framer's Workshop

Thank You Sponsors!