The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ford F550 with Triton V-10  (Read 1715 times)

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Ford F550 with Triton V-10
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 08:07:21 PM »
Don't know your rear gear ratio, mine is 4.88, but highway coming home from Colorado made about 12 mpg, loaded seems about like yours.  Last time I hauled cattle with my Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas, made about 4 mpg, so this old Ford is doing considerably better.  Handles the 20' cow trailer a lot easier as well.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 04:53:07 PM »
  I treated the old girl to some new shoes Thursday morning.  Falken open shoulder drives and closed shoulder steers and I jumped to 245s from 225s.  I've put almost 4,000 miles on it since I got in it to drive it home from Ohio.  Still getting 7 mpg with change no matter what it's doing.  It's going into the shop the week after Thanksgiving for a complete service.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 09:01:22 PM »
Rear end gears was 4.88 for the diesel and I believe 5.17 for the gas. You will like the 245 tires I have had them on one of my f550 s for several years. For those that donít know lug nut toque is 165 lbs after that drive it 200 ft tighten it again then a couple miles do it again and then at 20 .thatís the only way I have found to prevent breaking studs. The 8 stud wheels were bad. They never should have used them. And never use Napa studs or nuts they are junk. And for those that do there own repairs go to Ford parts .com put in your vin number and you can look up any part you want. If you sign up and pick a dealer it will show list price and your coast. I have a fleet account with the local dealer so I get a pretty good discount but if you order for the parts site itís less money. As the dealer told me itís less than dealer cost. And it comes from the same warehouse. In the northeast it Hartford ct. if you are buying Ford parts from Napa or any of the others you are paying to much

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »
Have found that the weak point of the v-10 engine is the hydraulic chain tensioners.  The shop that did my work said they recommend changing timing chains at 200,000. Anyway, the hydraulic chain tensioners have a gasket that blows out, creating a leak in the oil flow, and lets the oil pressure drop, and your engine shells out.  So don't skip changing the timing chains. The kit includes the tensioners and guides as well as sprockets.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline wisconsitom

• Deep in the larch
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »
Going to try and bid on this city's auction item-a 2008 Ford F550 1-ton dump.  4WD, plow hydraulics (which I don't need), decent dirty condition.  Was used as a salter and alleyway plower, so has had some use.

But I'm only going to do this if A), my CFO approves, and B) if I can grind a heck of a deal on the thing.  I looked at lots of online adds and it seems these rigs can still Bluebook in the mid $30's!  But I isn't going to go anywhere near that dollar amount.  Only looking for a sleepy sale, heh heh.
Far as I can tell, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ford F 250 5.4 Triton Spark Plugs.

Started by MartyParsons on General Board

21 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 09:44:14 AM
by sandhills
moved
MOVED: Old track vehicle,model T ford,model A ford ,antique snowmobile meet

Started by chet on General Board

0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 11:19:20 PM
by chet