iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barko 80 Need Info

Started by LeakyBoot, November 10, 2021, 06:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeakyBoot

Bought a 1977 Barko 80 back of cab mount.   Pretty worn but was cheap enough.    I am interested in how the swing gear and rack lubricates.   I can look down from above and see the big gear.   No grease to speak of on it.  I expected it to be enclosed and in grease.   Rain and trash can just come in the top.    Got the manuals emailed from Barko today but not a lot of help on this question.     Another point.  These things are really hard to handle unmounted.   Like dealing with a dead giraffe.   

moodnacreek

Should be lubed with open gear grease. That 'bull gear' can wear the teeth off. Some guys take the grapple off and tuck the stick in and strap everything to lift.  I like to remove the grapple, stick and boom and mount the A frame on the truck and build it back together with new pins, bushings and repaired bosses and whatever it needs. [could take about a year if you hurry :D]          On the serious side cracks must be ground out, welded, hammered and reinforcements welded on. Then painted so these areas can be wiped off and inspected from time to time.  these old loaders will crack and break. Any time a crack is seen you drill the end of it right away.

Southside

What is the secret behind hammering the cracks?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Weld peening relaxes stresses caused by the welding process and helps to prevent future cracks.  Its more critical in some applications than others.  

I initially got my little woods 750 backhoe attachment in a trade with no fluid in ot and 2 cylinders disconnected.  That really was hard to handle.  Floppy giraffe is a good analogy. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!