iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FYI - Kubota M7060 w FEL at Excellent price in Hampton VA IGNORE-Scam

Started by btulloh, November 15, 2021, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Just saw a listing for the M7060 with FEL and cab, 1000 hrs on FB marketplace for $18k. Seems to be in great shape. 70 hp.  Looks like a really good deal for somebody in the Mid-Atlantic area.  Just thought I'd throw it out there in case somebody was looking for a good tractor. (I'd post the link, but not sure that's ok.  Should be easy to search out on FB marketplace.)

Some sort of scam. Same post listed in 45 different cities. Looked real at first glance - sorry.

Not sure how a scam like this works.??  See tractor, wire money??

(Sent all my money to the Nigerian Oil Minister already. Still awaiting wire transfer for many miliions$$.)
HM126

Southside

You see those all the time on Craigslist, tractors and 4 wheelers are the big bait. The CL ones always have the contact email superimposed on the picture and it's ALWAYS a female name, some number like 1978 @ Yahoo or another generic server. 

One time I contacted one thinking it was real. Guy claims he is out of state and stationed in Minot, North Dakota, so has to sell whatever I was looking at. Hummm, I ask a couple of questions, tells me he is in the Navy. Oh, Ok, possible, but it's going to be a unique situation. Then I intentionally ask him his Rank, setting him up, guy tells me he is a SSG, E6. I can't post the rest of what I had to say after that. 

If these scammers out half the effort into working they would be twice as far ahead. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Yeah, those CL ads with the superimposed phone numer are way too obvious. The usual FB version is "listing for mr uncle.  Contact directly at . . . ".  This one doesn't have the usual smell - until I looked at the sellers profile and it showed 45 lof the same listing., all in different cities.

This kind of stuff must be hooking enough people to make it worthwhile.  The phone scams and email scams are so goofy, I can't believe anybody could fall for them.  But there must be a few.
HM126

Southside

I don't get it either, wait hold on my phone is ringing, got to take this......  Whew - that was close didn't realize the warranty on my '06 Duramax was about to expire, but that's all set now.  Where was I? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

Within the last year and a half I've both bought and sold separate tractors on Craigslist. Can honestly say both ended up going smoothly and all parties were happy each time.
The amount of male bovine excrement I waded through  both times however was incredible.
Yeah sure I'll take an extra 1500 bucks and load it on the truck that's on its way, all you need is an account number?Hang on let me go get that for you so you can transfer the funds. 
It really is amazing people fall for it.

VB-Milling

Same on Offerup....cars, tractors, FEL, and the like.

Superimposed email and price on the listing picture.  I report them every time.  I'm with you Bob...I don't get how the scam works.
HM126

JJ

They will likely ask for a deposit for the machine they do no have.
payable by vimo or cc.

one time I listed a boat on ebay, and get offers by people sending a check with more than the asking price because they include shipping cost, which I must wire on to somebody who will come pick up the boat when they get the payment ::), and must do this right away (for whatever reason) there will be no time for check to clear first.

VB-Milling

Quote from: JJ on November 16, 2021, 10:55:57 AM
They will likely ask for a deposit for the machine they do no have.
payable by vimo or cc.

one time I listed a boat on ebay, and get offers by people sending a check with more than the asking price because they include shipping cost, which I must wire on to somebody who will come pick up the boat when they get the payment ::), and must do this right away (for whatever reason) there will be no time for check to clear first.

Ah, now I get it.  Sadly, my neighbor fell victim to this process about a year ago.  Check was presented to the bank and no red flags were raised.  After a day or two, bank rejected the check, but the item was long gone.
HM126

newoodguy78

Unfortunately these people are good at what they do and prey on trust people put in them. If they put as much effort into finding a job and going to work everyday this world would be a better place. 

Resonator

Apparently that scam is everywhere on CL, I keep track of what heavy machinery is for sale and see those "To good to be true" priced ads often. Funny when they use a picture of a machine in the mountains out east, and it is supposedly for sale on a farm in Wisconsin. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

I had similar experiences listing a boat for sale on CL and FB Marketplace.  

Everything from "send me your account number I will wire the money and have my man pick the boat up" to "can I write you a check for x amount above the value of the boat, you can cash it and return the excess to me."

In the end, I required an in person visit from the buyer and a cash deal.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Today more than ever you just have to stay alert and use some common sense. Whether you're selling a boat, buying a tractor, extending the warranty on your 20 year old truck, or walking to your car in dark parking lot - paying attention is a good idea. Situational awareness.  tank-smiley

By the way - the tractor is still available. Now in 85 cities, so it will be easy to go pick it up. :D  I wonder if Ms. Odena Mitchell of Midland TX is aware that her FB account has been hijacked.  ??? ??? 

HM126

Hilltop366

I have seen a boat listed in Nova Scotia with palm trees in the background.

I wonder if palm trees make good firewood?

Resonator

QuoteI wonder if palm trees make good firewood?
I don't think so. From what I've read, it's like cutting up gnarled rope. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

That was legit. Global Warming, just ask Gretta. HOW DARE YOU! 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

Well it could be legit, I got thinking after that I do know several local people that keep a boat in Florida and one here.

Claybraker

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 16, 2021, 03:29:10 PMI wonder if palm trees make good firewood?
Nope. Down here where palm trees grow firewood is something we only use on occasion. Christmas for the mood with the AC going full blast and doors, windows wide open. A few years ago it snowed. That's always hilarious when the Bubba's race their lifted 4WD to see who's going to be first to end up in a ditch.

Hilltop366

Them mud tires with big block treads don't make very good snow and ice tires. :D

HemlockKing

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 16, 2021, 06:51:21 PM
Well it could be legit, I got thinking after that I do know several local people that keep a boat in Florida and one here.
Palm trees in Dartmouth crossing IIRC lol lol 
A1

Thank You Sponsors!