iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battery Powered Caulking Gun?

Started by Stephen1, November 17, 2021, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I will putting up the log siding on the new place. I want to chink it to match my log cabin. 
Has anyone had any experience with battery powered caulking guns. It will have to hold the large tubes as that is what the Chinking comes in. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sawguy21

What brand? With a good one like DeWalt or Makita you will wonder how you ever managed without it. A friend spent some serious coin on a Milwaukee grease gun, swears it is the best investment he ever made.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen1

My ideal choise would be an 18volt Dewalt as that is what the rest of battery tools are. 
I haven't found one on fleabee yet. 
I will look or buy another type as I bet once i'm done i can sell it on fleabee.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sprucebunny

I bought a Ryobi one a couple of months ago for regular size tubes. I seem to break those manual ones pretty fast. It works great !!!

One little mishap was trying to use a tube that had been open a couple days and the plunger was working but the goop was being squeezed out the wrong end  :o That was messy but the gun lives.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Southside

Don't have a cauking gun, but I would defend my Milwaukee 18V grease gun with my life.  Put a Lock-n-Lube on the end of it, will never go back to anything else.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

I don't know about the dewalt directly but know a couple framers that have other brands and swear by them. If you end up going with a manual quart gun Tajima makes the best one hands down in both the small and large tube size

Bruno of NH

All the major brands work great.
A must have if you chinking
25 years ago when I was building log homes , I used an air one made by rigid.
Was a big tube gun , worked great as well
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stephen1

I agree Bruno, I did my small log cabin years ago and wished I had a powered one then. I am trying to find one for this project and I will probably chink the inside of the cabin also. 

Tom King

Since I was already well supplied with Makita batteries, that's the one I bought.  It's not for fine finish, but with your job, that's what I would use.  I do use it for some long lines of caulking for finish.

I mainly use it for construction adhesive.  Takes longer to get a tube ready, and change it, than to empty one.

I doubt brand makes much difference.  It's a pretty simple tool.

Walnut Beast

Runningalucas

I've been considering a cordless caulk gun as well, but have a simple question.  When using a manual caulk gun, especially sporadically, you've got to release the pressure on the tube, or caulking keeps coming out due to pressure.  Do the cordless caulk guns relieve pressure on the tube between times of pulling the trigger?   
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Southside on November 17, 2021, 09:18:59 PM
Don't have a cauking gun, but I would defend my Milwaukee 18V grease gun with my life.  Put a Lock-n-Lube on the end of it, will never go back to anything else.  
And 5 people agree. Why am I the odd one? A logger loaned me a battery grease gun once because I was going to buy one and I didn't. Same with lock and lube, never work for me. too many tight places. Said another way If I use this new stuff I still have to take the old gun under the machine to finish greasing.             The powered caulking gun sound like the thing, i bet you can do a neater job with it.

Iwawoodwork

the 18v powered grease gun with a standard tip or a swivle tip will get in any place that a regular hand pump gun will on my Cat D7, D3, or excavators ex50, pc60 ,  really handy when pumping/ tensioning the tracks.  As for the caulk gun I have the Royobi 18v large tube, worked fine but have not used for several years so not sure about the pressure release, but must have one.

Tom King

The Makita does pull back the pressure, to prevent excess squeeze out, when you release the trigger.  I don't know about the others.

There is a manual one that does the same thing.  I use that one for finish work in houses.  I can't remember the brand, but it's yellow and black.  Sherwin-Williams sells it in their stores.  It doesn't work the best for stiff caulking though.  I've had two different Architects tell me I was the best finish carpenter they'd ever seen.  What they didn't see was that I was the best caulker they'd ever seen.

I have a whole bunch of grease guns with various tips, hoses, angled ends, etc., as well as different ones for different greases.  I couldn't get by with just a couple.

Bruno of NH

I believe all the battery operated ones pull back when the trigger is released.
I agree with Tom about using it for things like construction adhesive. 
I also agree with newwoodguy about the hand tajima brand best on the market
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sprucebunny

Yes, my cordless gun releases the pressure and though it's nessasary, it's a little irritating because you don't know when it will start coming out and it sometimes leaves the inside of the tube exposed to air.

Love my Milwaulkee grease gun. Besides the Lock N' Lube, I have a lock on right angle thing that was absolutely needed for one fitting on my old F350. (1990 no rust, no winters)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Southside

Quote from: moodnacreek on November 18, 2021, 01:14:50 PM
Quote from: Southside on November 17, 2021, 09:18:59 PM
Don't have a cauking gun, but I would defend my Milwaukee 18V grease gun with my life.  Put a Lock-n-Lube on the end of it, will never go back to anything else.  
And 5 people agree. Why am I the odd one? A logger loaned me a battery grease gun once because I was going to buy one and I didn't. Same with lock and lube, never work for me. too many tight places. Said another way If I use this new stuff I still have to take the old gun under the machine to finish greasing.             The powered caulking gun sound like the thing, i bet you can do a neater job with it.
I had a different battery powered grease gun before the Milwaukee, night and day difference. I also have a 3" pointed extension that the Lock n Lube accepts for tight spots and a 90 that just threads on for the impossible otherwise spots. 
No more holding the hose onto the zero with one hand, squeezing the handle of the gun against my chest with the other, and holding onto whatever piece of equipment I am standing on 7' in the air with my third hand. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

I have been searchiing for a new 18V dewalt but no luck. They are all out of stock and all I find are the 20V.
if I am going to move to a newer tool/battery I really like the Milwaukie brand. 
I am going to set up some searchs on Flea Bay Kijiji and see what comes along. I will not be chinking untill the spring so I have a bit of time. 

Southside

I have picked up most of my set from CPO Outlet. They have good deals on factory reconditioned units with full warranty.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Tom King

I've gotten some factory reconditioned tools from CPO that only looked like the box had been opened.  The cords even still had the twist ties still on them.

Southside

I recently bought a factory reconditioned, super sized, weed whacker that goes behind an ATV to trim fence rows.  Was looking it over trying to see what might have been done to it and swore it had never been run, then I found it.  Someone had put a decal across the rear of the machine that was intended for the 3 point hitch PTO driven model, not the self powered, trailerd one.  Brand new, full warranty, saved several Benjamins $$ because of a sticker.  Fine by me.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

moosehunter

I have the 20 volt DeWalt caulk gun. Nice tool.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stephen1

Quote from: moosehunter on November 19, 2021, 09:13:26 AM
I have the 20 volt DeWalt caulk gun. Nice tool.
mh
Thanks MH I might have to upgrade to the 20 volt if I can't find an old 18 around somewhere.

Corley5

I was wishing I had a Milwaukee 18v caulk gun in my collection yesterday.  I seldom have a need for such a tool but had to replace the door glass in my front end loader yesterday.  The 3M Window Weld came out of the tube hard :).  The cheapo hand gun I had wasn't real efficient let alone convenient ;) :)
  I liked my Lincoln 14.4 grease guns but really prefer my Milwaukee 18v.  The Lincolns went to auction earlier in the fall ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

Lincoln 14.4 - that's what I had before my Miluakee.  Was so upset to replace it that I forgot who had made it.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 18, 2021, 07:47:13 PM
I have been searchiing for a new 18V dewalt but no luck. They are all out of stock and all I find are the 20V.
if I am going to move to a newer tool/battery I really like the Milwaukie brand.
I am going to set up some searchs on Flea Bay Kijiji and see what comes along. I will not be chinking untill the spring so I have a bit of time.
Lots of stuff is online only these days, like at HomeDepot.ca. I know a lot of the battery powered stuff is. My pole saw can not be bought in store. It was also funny, snowshoes, none at the company [SOLD OUT], but no trouble from Outdoor Equipment Canada. Shipped same day. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 18, 2021, 07:47:13 PM
FYI, DeWalt has totally discontinued the 18v line of tools.
You can buy the battery adapter kits and switch over to the 20v batteries.
Ed

Stephen1

Ed I came to that conclusion. I now buy 18 volt lith ion  batteries from ( dare I type it) nope.
I have 9 18 volt Dewalt battery tools. They all work and I don't see the reason to buy new tools.  I am older and cheaper than in my working spend it days. I am hoping before next spring to find an 18 volt Dewalt used caulking gun.. :) If not I will break down and invest in a new line of battery tools. 

Thank You Sponsors!