iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine paneling staining question.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 22, 2021, 05:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Much of the interior of my house is knotty pine paneling. I'd like to pickle, or otherwise brighten a couple of the rooms, but I know little about it. My biggest concern is that there is already a treatment of some kind on the wood. I suspect it could be poly, but not sure. The house was built in 1950. Would I need to sand the wood before applying something like BIN? Thanks. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

Is that the veneer type that came in 4x8 sheets?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

firefighter ontheside

Its funny you ask that just now.  20 minutes ago I was standing in my bedroom which has knotty pine 1x6 paneling that I installed 20 years ago and never finished.  I had intended to pickle it, but I think I'm just gonna leave it as is.  Is there a spot where you can test a finish.  Brush some pickling stain or just watered down paint on it and see what it looks like.  You can also brush on and wipe back just like normal staining and see what it looks like.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dave Shepard

I live alone, I can test anywhere I want.  ;)

Southside

Didn't realize you were all fancy like that. We only had the real stuff upta camp. The good thing was you knew exactly which nail to hang the frying pan on, which one the towel hung from, etc all by the lack of sun fading in that spot.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

50's, varnish, maybe shellac? Denatured would eliminate that one anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!