iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

There!!!!
That's an improvement.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigblockyeti

That vanity looks fantastic!  We've got a plain jane vanity in the half bath that I've been wanting to make look nicer, much like what you've done.  One of my reservations has been wood counter tops in a wet environment but in a half bath, I think I'd be safe if I can keep the kids out of there.  Unfortunately if that project was put into the queue, it would be #122,714 in line with other stuff that actually needs to be taken care of first.

tule peak timber

Fear not wood and water. Look to marine grade finishes like AwlGrip, Epithanes, Interlux, etc, and they do pretty well.Sometimes we pretreat with penetrating epoxy. All the surfaces in my house are wood and require minimum care. I did have my Granddaughter spill nail polish on her vanity top, so I removed it, had her sand the entire top out and I re-finished and re-installed. She "will never do that again!" was her comment.  
I have a lot of tops out in the field over the years and so far, no call backs. 

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

A wet undermount I'm doing this morning with a new twist. Instead of spraying or brushing, I'm applying  Awlgrip clear polyester topcoat by wiping. You're supposed to use a reducer to spray or brush, but I am just leaving it out. Once the 3-component topcoat is mixed, I'm just wiping on layer after layer of thin 100% solids, no solvents. This is a "not by the book" method, but we're starting to do this because it's less messy and doesn't smell as bad. Got to think outside the box.

trimguy

Looks good. I will have 2 vanity tops to do in the future, I'm not sure I want a 3 part mix.

firefighter ontheside

Never heard of awlgrip.  Can you show me a picture of the can.  I looked it up on their site, but there's a lot of options.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 07, 2022, 09:27:45 AM
Fear not wood and water. 

It's not fear, just knowing what I don't know and making sure I learn everything I can before attempting so I don't have to rip it out and start over.

tule peak timber

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 07, 2022, 12:39:55 PM
Never heard of awlgrip.  Can you show me a picture of the can.  I looked it up on their site, but there's a lot of options.
Awlgrip; very famous yacht and airplane finish. This company is AkzoNobel at around $42billion/year. I spent almost 2 years at war with these guys, but that's another story. Their finishes are stellar!
In the photo, Awlgrip Clear, is in the little can on top of the big can. It's a polyester finish that uses the 2 components to the left for brushing and the 2 components to the right for spraying. Awlgrip is extremely hard, does not polish so you must get it right the first time. Sticks to anything with the right primers and prep.
Awlcraft 2000 Clear is the one gallon round can and a buffable, polishable acrylic urethane finish. When you brush it you use the 2 components to the left and in spray application the 2 components to the right in spray. This is the finish we use to make some of the table tops look like diamonds. Pretty darn hard
Awlwood is the single component polyurethane that requires a specialized primer and is some of the toughest finish you'll ever see. All 3 of these products contain UV inhibitors, therefore are great for exterior work like entry doors and table tops.  

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

aigheadish

Tule- all your wood and wet applications are amazing. Well done.

Ffots- that cabinet and counter looks great! 

I'm doing a quick and dirty build of a battery operated tool rack, like where you hang cordless screwdrivers etc. I've seen a lot of these online and have wanted to build something like them for a while. 

Uh, it looks like, so far, I've made the biggest one ever. Most I've seen appear about 18" wide or so and I wanted to accommodate all the chargers I have. My terrible math suggested that 3' should be wide enough and I've got to say it should allow for plenty of growth as well. All made from random scrap around the garage and shop, I'll try to remember to post when I'm done with it.

Also, I don't know if I've posted about it here but I'm sloooooowly building a rock screener. It, basically, just needs legs put on it at this point but I just haven't done it. Welp, I'm currently working on finishing the gravel floor in the barn, which means I need to empty the whole thing out so I can dump gravel in. The rock screener was sitting around and I have a bunch of 16'+ long 2x4, 2x6, and 2x8 sitting in the barn. I thought the rock screener would make a great rack to hold all that lumber toove it all around more easily. It did!

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Larry

This morning I shot lacquer on some gift boxes I'm making.  I thought I would go ahead and put a finish on the workbench I've been making.  After thinking for a while about what to use simple, fast, cheap, and on hand won out.

This is the standard Sam Maloof finish.  First in the bottle was tung oil, than linseed oil, and finally poly.  You can see the tung oil is the lightest color, while the linseed oil is the darkest.  The top is poly and its close to the color of linseed oil.

Today the consensus in the high end market is if your not using expensive German hard wax oil finishes your not doing quality work.  I wonder what Sam would say about this current trend?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Old Greenhorn

What's the mixing ratio Larry?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Larry

Equal amounts is the standard ratio.  I sometimes vary depending on the desired outcome.  If I want more gloss and something a little tougher I'll up the poly.

I've often used a similar mix of 1/3 blo, 1/3 poly, and 1/3 mineral spirits or other thinners.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Old Greenhorn

blo? Oh wait, Boiled Linseed Oil! I got it, never mind. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tule peak timber

And just a dash of Japan dryer................ 8)

tule peak timber

Sam is looking at my wood as we speak     ;D

firefighter ontheside

I use Sikkens Cetol on my log home.  It is also made by AkzoNobel.

I used Maloof's finish on my Rocking Chair.  Just wiped on about 5 coats with an old sock.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I attached the face frames on 3 of 4 cases today.  They look a lot better with the frames on.  I also painted doors, and doors and more doors.  I hate painting.  With any luck I'll get them all done tomorrow.  The weather is not very condusive though.  I will paint some in the shop where it is nice and warm.  The others I will set up in the garage.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fluidpowerpro

By no means do I call myself a woodworker so posting here is maybe a stretch for me. Every Christmas my ex wife, now girlfriend, comes up with a project for "us" to build to give away as gifts to friends and family. This year it was plant stands. She saw something similar on Amazon and asked me to makes something similar. All the wood used was grown on my land and sawed by me.

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

aigheadish

Ex wife, now gf? Neat!

Those plant stands are great! I wish I had the energy to have an all native to my property project! So far I only have 1, my mantle. Well done. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

The plant stands are great and I'm sure will be well received.

I didnt meet my goal of getting all the doors done painted today.  It was 48 deg and raining today, so the ones I painted out in the garage took all day to dry.  I will finish tomorrow though.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Elm Charcuterie board, for my daughters college art department.  15 x 22 inches

firefighter ontheside

Red elm is such a pretty wood.  I love the little spots it has from the epicormic sprouts.  That's a term I learned from Danny by the way.  I love the pieces of elm I put in my floor.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!