iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dexter Vortex trailer bearing caps

Started by SawyerTed, June 05, 2022, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

In 2020 I bought a new boat and trailer.  The trailer is a Wesco aluminum trailer.  It has two Dexter 3,500 pound axles with Dexter Vortex hubs.  I like the trailer it tows well and has excess capacity for the boat that's on it.  The boat loaded isn't anywhere near the 7,000 pound capacity of the trailer.  

My frustration is the plastic bearing caps.  They are threaded and for whatever reason the threaded portion breaks off the cap.  

What an aggravating design!   The hubs are supposed to be sealed.  No bearing buddies.  So when one breaks I have repack the bearings.  If the caps are tight enough not to leak, the things break. I've been through three caps so far at $17.50 each minimum - I just paid $30 each.  

$&"(/@!

Rant over back to your regular scheduled broadcast. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

21incher

According  to dexter there is a 6 year warranty on Vortex axles and components. You should  really contact dexter to see if it's common or something is possibly machined wrong  on yours. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SawyerTed

Dexter is reimbursing me for caps and grease!  They have already responded affirmatively!

Thanks for slowing my roll and pointing me right!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

An update - Dexter was very responsive to my warranty request.  I was reimbursed for caps, grease and labor to repack my trailer bearings.  

The problem is the replacement caps haven't lasted any longer than the original equipment. I had to replace two today as I serviced the trailer for a tow to the coast coming up.  The trailer is two years old and has been through two sets of caps.  The caps are plastic threaded and the threads only catch correctly in one spot.  They are easily cross threaded which was the problem with the original caps.  

Others may have had good luck with Dexter Vortex bearing caps but my advice is get the hubs swapped for a better design bearing cap. 

Dexter is a pretty good company but I believe they didn't get this design right.  

<
br>

charles mann

It will cost significantly more, but what about getting set made out of aluminum? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Southside

"Hey, who forgot to switch the threading machine off metric? Ahh, I am sure it will be OK"... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Interesting. I know I have Dexters on some of my trailers, I'll check them tomorrow.

Are the hubs loctited in, or use other sealant?  Do the bearing covers breaks off in use or during service?   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SawyerTed

Robert, none have broken when servicing the bearings.  At least three broke on the road.  When I stop I do a walk around and have found them broken off at the threads. That presents an on the road repair challenge to get the threaded part out of the hub,  bearings greased etc.

A couple more caps I found had cracked at the threads but the cap hadn't separated yet.  This causes water to get in the bearings and we know where that leads.

They are not installed with loctite. The do have and O ring seal.  

K-Guy

If they didn't get a bad batch, I would say it is a poor choice of materials.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!