iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saws

Started by Wlmedley, September 10, 2022, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

I'm needing a polesaw but don't want to spend a fortune on one being it won't be used a lot after I get a few projects done.My main project is a old road back on the hill to our family cemetery.The cemetery was originally on my grandfather's farm and cattle kept everything fairly clean.The property is now out of the family so I can't just cut trees at will.The whole farm is grown up but my only concern is trimming limbs back so they don't beat me to death when I'm brush hogging road and when my time comes funeral home can get me back there.Wondering if any of the battery powered units would cut ok.Mostly be cutting beech limbs and multi alum.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

btulloh

Love the electric Milwaukee. The subject has been discussed here pretty thoroughly and everyone's pretty happy with electric pole saws of all brands. Probably best to get the brand that matches your other battery tools. 
HM126

btulloh

Deleting duplicate post
HM126

beenthere

Since I purchased the cordless Stihl HTA 65 to do all my trimming, I don't miss carrying around the telescoping pole saw with gas engine.

Plenty of battery power to run the 7' pole saw for pruning trees up high, for reaching into and through sticker bush to cut off branches and brush. 

Have a good Stihl dealer and don't shop around for other brands. Stihl has treated me well for the past 47 years. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

I don't know how much they are now but I have a Echo Power Pruner. Excellent unit 20 years old and just got it running after setting for years and my o my what a animal. From big branches up high to little  ones. Remember whatever one you get on bigger branches make a small cut on the bottom then come down on top and you will never have any trouble. Be careful to when your cutting larger ones coming down! I can cut 20' + extended from ground.

thecfarm

As btulloh said.
But saying that I bought a ryboi. That takes a different battery than what the drills, sander, vacuum etc takes.
That pole saw has a much bigger battery.
I have cut limbs that are 3-4 inches across with the ryboi. Yes, that cuts down on the time the battery holds a charge. I only bought the small size battery for it. There are bigger ones, meaning they hold a charge longer, but after using it for an hour, that's about enough for me.  ;)
It works just about by itself when it's up there. It's just when it gets done cutting is the hard part.  :o  
Takes a lot to keep that from bouncing off the ground when it comes down.  :o
What I do is, I cut out anything an inch and bigger. I use that for firewood. I have an OWB and that will take a 54 inch stick, so that helps. Then I jump on the tractor and bush hog what is left. Yes, takes time to saw out the wood, but takes time to haul it to the brush pile and then it needs burning too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

I would spend the extra money and get a good one like Beenthere has!!

Magicman

This is a "not break the bank" saw that several of us have:  Ryobi Battery Pole Saw

I have not used my Echo gas 18' saw since I got this Ryobi.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

I keep the Ryobi in my truck toolbox.  Also have the Stihl telescopic gas one.   The Ryobi, just the 18v one, is the one I go for first.  It really is a lot better than I expected it to be.  

I first bought it just to keep in the truck because we have a woods trail to go through to get to one of the old houses I work on.  It's done that, but much more.

I haven't even started the Stihl since I bought it.

YellowHammer

Years ago, I bought the best pole saw Stihl made, and hated it.  Too heavy, too unwieldy and I think the guy who designed the gas tank had a dark sense of humor because my arms and back would give out long before the fuel tank ran dry.

So I never use it, and just recently bought a Dewalt pole saw and it's got a cheesy chain, it's a little flimsy, and the durn thing cuts limb off trees with a vengeance.  I won't say I love it because I can never "love" a pole saw but I will say it's as good as I had hoped and not as bad as I had feared.  It just cut limbs and the battery lasts longer than I do.

Here is a video I did with it.

Feel Sorry for This Little Pole Saw! (#1 Review by Sawmill owner!) - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Wlmedley

Thanks guys,I see now this topic was discussed last year.Don't know how I missed it.All my battery tools are Dewalt but are 14 volt so whatever I get I won't be able to use my batteries.Dewalt and Ryobi are more in my price range.Hoping someone tried the Dewalt because Tractor Supply has them in stock.I'll have to check on Ryobi also.Stihl dealer here is so hateful and mean I won't go in his store.Don't really know how he keeps any customers.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Walnut Beast

The Ryobi stuff isn't to bad. I think they have improved the stuff over the years

rusticretreater

I have the Milwaukee setup.  The batteries are strong and it runs for a long time.  The extensions lock into place and tighten down no fuss.  It does use more bar oil than I expected.  Like everything else I buy, I wait until there is some kind of sale going on.  But of course its still wayyyyy too expensive.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SwampDonkey

Been happy here with the Ryobi 40V battery saw. Used it last fall with a 7.5 aHr battery and still had half charge after 4 hrs of pruning. Then used it this summer on same charge to cut apple, ironwood, cherry and birch limbs back in the yard. You have to refill the oil reservoir quite often. Sure is slick. I've still got 1/3 of a charge, so the battery is quite strong. :) Up here in Canada it is an order only item at Homedepot.ca and you can order the unit itself, the larger battery itself and the charger itself, which was cheaper than the package they sell with the battery and charger included, which was really odd. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Milwaukee and Ryobi are both owned by the Hong Kong firm Techtronic.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

kantuckid

My Black & Decker cordless pole saw is an Amazon Warehouse return that was an unused bare tool and dirt cheap. 
My wife's B&D girly string trimmer (make that 3 or 4 string trimmers as I keep them for parts) is her go-to tool around our home and a few other choice spots she maintains. We buy Walmart B&D trimmer's on clearance and Amazon returns as they tend to last ~ 2-3 years and batteries accumulate thus my cheapo B&D pole saw made sense for a minor use tool. It's actually a decent one with an 8" oil it yourself chain on a fiberglass pole thats long enough. With care it will suffice for occasional use for some years, no way it is a regular use pole saw.
I did a pasture edged by EWP trees that beat me in the face when I bushog that's maybe 400 yds long.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Stephen1

I have a generator I put on my ATV trailer, I bought an electric pole saw from Home Depot, "sun" something they are called. I trimmed all the property 2 years ago and now it sits. I think it was $100.  I'll probably use again next year. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

21incher

I just switched over to Milwaukee OPE after dealing with the junk that Dewalt is producing these days. Having the motor at the bottom with gas performance is the best part. This is a video that I recently posted. The pole saw is a ways in
Milwaukee OPE First Look (Wasted My Money On Dewalt OPE The First Time) - YouTube
I have 20 Dewalt batteries and it was a tough change over for me but the ergonomics make it worth every penny. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I have to trim stuff here at least twice a year, not an every day need, but good when I need it. ;D I now am reminded about a 3rd trimming I need to do to some basswood limbs in the yard this fall and probably the lilacs. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

I watched Robert's video of the 20V Dewalt trimmer and will check with HF their next time I am there to see if they have a 29V that matched my leafblower,  angle grinder, drills and 6.5" circle saw which have a;;given me good service. I probably should buy another battery or two for the tools I have now.

Robert,

I liked that brush pile eater although I don/t have a skidsteer. Have you ever tried it on a pile of sawmill slabs or do you have a good use or market for them?

I have found a leaf blower is a great tool for burning brush piles and slab wood piles.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom King

My 13hp Billy Goat blower, and an Indian pump with kerosene will send a fire tunnel all the way through the base of any size burn pile.  You can see up close how effective oxygen and kerosene was as rocket fuel for the Saturn V rocket.  

YellowHammer

I kind of like the Derwalt 20V stuff.  I just ordered a 20V weedy whacky and also a leaf blower.  We will see how that works.

The brush eater is a monster and I have chewed down 24 inch diameter stumps, but I would be worried to drop it on a sure nuff 10 ton slab pile.  I'm sure it would chew it up, but it would also send big slab pieces and parts a half mile down the road. :D :D I have dropped it on numerous brush piles and it just vaporizes them, but there are enough small pieces of wood in a brush pile to trap the big pieces and not let them fly down the road.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Wlmedley

Bought the Ryobi being Home Depot had them in stock and store is closer than Tractor Supply but mostly because some of you have used them and say they work pretty good.I value opinions on here much more than on line reviews . Thanks, I'll try it out if it ever quits raining.Seems to be made pretty good.

SwampDonkey

The ones of us that use them here, like the curve to the bar, versus a straight bar. This gives an advantage when cutting. :)

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 12, 2022, 01:37:20 PM
The ones of us that use them here, like the curve to the bar, versus a straight bar. This gives an advantage when cutting. :)

Ii use mine all the time and prefer the straight one more after using it for a while. My first  one was the Harbor  freight one with the angle and motor on top and that was a pain to use for brush and limbing. Plus it used a narrow  chain that didn't cut well. As you know  that cheap stuff  doesn't  last long with  constan use and the nylon drive gear chewed itself up. I have been enjoying the straight cut of the Milwaukee and most times I stand far enough  back with the extension so it's  basically cutting from the top. Working  on clearing  my firewood trails and 5 inch dead ash is no problem with the Milwaukee.  If you don't use yours often and that is all you have ever used the cheap Chinese  stuff will last a while and  you wouldn't  know the difference. Ryobi is higher quality then dewalt ope these days with better service. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I prune fir limbs on smaller trees on the woodlot to encourage clear wood. Last fall was the first time I had it to use for that and winter was on the way. I usually have some time for that when I have my firewood cut for the next season. But some falls up here winter comes fast. :D A curved saw is definitely what I prefer. Even manual ones I use are curved saws, Fiskers. I've read that others also prefer a curved saw for the same reason I gave. I've cut saplings off at the base with mine to thin a little bit where I prune, fir or ash, no trouble cutting it.

Ljohnsaw

I like YH review!

A few years back I got a Black Friday special on Amazon.  A weed wacker and blower that was supposed to have one 5ahr and fast charger.  They gave me two of each and at $160, quite the bargain!  I love the blower and really like the wacker.  I have issues with the line on any weed wacker.

About 3 months ago, I bought an Amazon return off BidRL.  It was the tool only pole saw AND a hedge trimmer head that I got for about $120.  I agree, though, that middle extension is ONLY good if you are vertical with either the saw of trimmer.  Way to heavy to do much work horizontally.  The hedge trimmer head can go 90° one direction (to trim the top of a TALL hedge) and about 45° the other (to trim along the ground?).  The hedge trimmer is REALLY sharp.  Pulling off the blade guard, I cut myself on the non-moving part of the blade.  It saws through about 1" limbs!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom King

The straight ones are okay until you try cutting one higher than you should with the whole thing straight up.  You'd better be able to move fast.  The angled end lets you stand out of the drop zone.

21incher

I find the straight actually steers the branch to swing away from you if you cut from the right side. Cut from the wrong  side and it will pinch.

SwampDonkey

I undercut branches of any significant size, then finish from the top. And like mentioned a curved saw gets you away from the drop zone. I prune 12 feet high. Also with more weight on the saw end it cut's faster, the saw power is very strong to handle it. I could see if it were under powered, how that would not work well. But I do not like a light saw end that will vibrate or bounce out of the cut when it's 9 feet or even 12 feet over my head. After awhile with something like that you get careless and start chewing into the trunk because you get tired of having to control where it bounces to, out further on the limb or into the trunk. I want the saw to do most of the work after it is up there.

Magicman

I have both straight and angled.  The straight stays parked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

If you cut any amount of branches you are going to do what SwampDonkey says. I'm with 21 incher on what he said. I could see the angled unit getting a little leverage and out of the drop zone. I did a whole fence line of branches hanging over a bean field cutting branches big and small 8' to 20+ With the straight unit and my boss that seemed to always be around underneath and me never got hit but he had to lay in the creek and I had a soaked t shirt last week

Tom King

I thought I would not like the angled head of the Ryobi when I first got it.  I mainly got it because it comes apart easily, and fits in the toolbox on the truck.  I had used the straight telescopic Stihl since I bought it in 1999.

After I started using the Ryobi with the angled head, the Stihl has not been used, or even started.

I cut a good size Oak limb once with the Stihl that was near the reach limit.  I thought I was pretty protected being on the opposite side of the trunk from the way the limb would pivot being cut by the straight head.  I didn't account for the outer end of the limb hitting the ground, pushing the but of the several inch limb back at me.  Fortunately, my reflexes and jumping ability saved me.

If it had been cut with the angled head, it would have pivoted straight down, and the butt of that heavy limb would have slid down closer to the tree.

I would still use the Stihl if I had a big limb to cut, but would put more thought into how high I would cut one with it.  Beyond that now I'd use the manual pole saw, if I didn't want to climb the tree.

Walnut Beast

Sounds like the angled one is definitely pretty nice. Seems like the Ryobi has constantly gotten better over the years and is pretty decent stuff 

Tom King

Another good thing about the Ryobi:  You don't have to use all three pieces.  You can just use the motor end, and the saw end, and leave the middle section out, which makes it really easy to handle.  

That's the way I use mine most of the time, and it still reaches plenty high enough to cut stuff that would rub against the truck, or hit the rollbar of the mower.

jb616

I just purchased the Milwaukee as I used a manual saw in the past with a collapsing pole. It came with the 8.0 amp hour battery with a weed whacker attachment as well. It has 3 different sections with the middle being an extension. I can use it with or without the extension. It is extremely sharp and cuts well but a bit heavy if using all 3 sections and you need to extend your arms. I only add a small amount of oil each time as most have reported that it will leak the oil out if stored full (this was the case for most electric pole saws). Overall I can say that I like it better than the manual saw that I had. 

beenthere

Found a boring video of using the Stihl cordless pruning spruce and pine planted 24 years ago. Not sure why it plays back at a faster speed, but like the electric bike video, I don't move that fast. Recorded the pruning op so the kids may someday know what I did with some of my time around here.  ;D
TSI tree field

The length is 8' and easy to reach up 12+ feet to prune high. Battery always has lasted longer than I do. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

Nice video.I bet you had a big brush pile.

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on September 13, 2022, 02:59:26 PM
Found a boring video of using the Stihl cordless pruning spruce and pine planted 24 years ago. Not sure why it plays back at a faster speed, but like the electric bike video, I don't move that fast. Recorded the pruning op so the kids may someday know what I did with some of my time around here.  ;D
TSI tree field

The length is 8' and easy to reach up 12+ feet to prune high. Battery always has lasted longer than I do.
Click the settings button to change the playback speed if it looks fast. Hard to believe how long the batteries last. One bar on my 8ah battery requires a 2 hour nap for me to fully recover. 

Walnut Beast

The quietness of the electric saws is pretty cool . But you won't have that mystical gas smell 😂

SwampDonkey

Your experience may vary from mine. But, I don't recommend pruning white or Norway spruce, limb diameter is large and take a long time to heal. Fir limbs are small and heal up fast. We found a lot of rot in pruned white spruce. And I prune just fir with healthy bark with pitch bubbles and 12" plus whorl internodes. Any fir with short leaders is avoided, they tend to be old, bark dried up (no bubbles) and a lot of rot in the trunk.

thecfarm

beenthere,it's good to record for the future to see.
I've done a lot here and I am just starting to record for the future.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

I think the true metric of a pole saw is how much it gets used, not how much it can cut.  I have a top of the line Stihl poler saw and never use it although it will cut large limbs forever on a tank of gas.  It just sits there, and I never use it.  

On the other hand I've owned my little bitty Dewalt pole saw for only a few months and I've cut more limbs with it than my gas powered Stihl, simply because of ease of use and it's always ready.  I can whack a few offending limbs and lean it back up against the wall and walk off.    
YellowHammerisms:

SawyerTed

I have a Husqvarna gas pole saw.  It is an effective tool but I absolutely hate using it. I'm not sure if it's the saw or that I hate pruning trees or both.  :D  

I don't hate it enough to replace it with a battery power one, yet. :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

My stepson, in his 40's. bought a Sthil kombi? Motor that fits a bunch of stuff.
He put the tree limber on and used it for hours. And I mean hours!!!
He felt it for weeks!!!!
Those things use muscles that don't normally get used. Battery or gas one.

SwampDonkey

As mother would put it, 'I found muscles I didn't know I had'. :D :D

SawyerTed

That's because the "new ones" hurt!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

realzed

Quote from: thecfarm on September 14, 2022, 08:51:22 AM
My stepson, in his 40's. bought a Sthil kombi? Motor that fits a bunch of stuff.
He put the tree limber on and used it for hours. And I mean hours!!!
He felt it for weeks!!!!
Those things use muscles that don't normally get used. Battery or gas one.
This Spring I bought a Stihl Kombi KM56 unit and a bunch of accessories including the pruning or pole saw attachment for it.
It cuts branches off like mad to my pleasant surprise and it's quite manageable for me at 74 years young except when I add on the extra extension and then it becomes fairly unwieldy - but we're talking close to 13-14' up..
I've found what makes the hardest part to deal with is mainly just reaching out past your waist level and trying to cut with it only supported by outstretched arms - that will kill any enthusiasm pretty quickly - but it will chew through a 6" dia. branch or stem easily!
Once you get the blade up on a limb it supports itself pretty well and the weight actually assists with the cutting action as well..
Love mine and the articulating pruning attachment is great as well - but again adding the extension it make it a bear after a while!
Watched a group of young yard care guys do a neighbour's tall cedar hedge using a couple of battery versions a month back - and my impression was that a gas type would have done the job a lot faster from what I observed - both with using the articulating hedger attachment, as well as the pole saw for bigger branches!

Tom King

This area is close to an acre.  It was the only place here that I had to put the rollbar down on the mower.  I decided to fix it so I didn't have to fool with the rollbar, and just leave it up all the time.

I forgot to take real before and after pictures.  These two pictures are soon after starting dragging, and about halfway through.

I put the Stihl polesaw in the back of the truck, but started with the 18V Ryobi without the middle extension.  A little over an hour later, I was finished dropping limbs, and the Stihl never came out of the truck.  I did have to change batteries once, and sharpened the little chain when I walked back to the truck to swap batteries.

Dragging them took longer than dropping them.  Fortunately, I had somewhere to put them just a hundred yards away.  I pushed them rather than make more trips.  It still took a number of trips, but fewer than if I'd loaded them into anything.

Wlmedley

Tried out the Ryobi today.I got the tree limbs and multi alum bushes I was wanting to cut finished about the time the battery was getting low.I could handle it pretty good without the middle extension.With the extension it was all I wanted.Can see how pole could get bent pretty easily.Hard to hold when it breaks through limb.Wouldn't want one any heavier.Was to tired to drag off brush.Think I'll hook up brush hog tomorrow and just grind it up with it being I need to cut road off anyway.

thecfarm

The bush hog will make it disappear.
As I posted I cut out the big stuff and bush hog the rest.
I am cutting limbs that are 3 inches across.
Maybe when I get it all done,  :D  I can keep up on it, and won't be no more big limbs.

Thank You Sponsors!