iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just another new guy with a sawmill

Started by Son_of_Liberty, September 06, 2022, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son_of_Liberty

Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself to the forum. It has been a lot of years since I've frequented a web forum but there is so much great info here, figured I'd introduce myself.

My name is Eric and I live in IL currently, but identify as a Tennessee sawyer. My family recently purchased 300 acres of timber in TN to homestead on and figured a Wood-Mizer would be the ticket to help us with our building projects. My background is in construction and concrete, which I own a business in IL doing just concrete. Through my years of construction I think I've acquired just about every tool known to man. I've started setting up shop down in TN and moved my camper, wired a camp ground and plumbed several spigots that are fed from a pump over a spring. Its not entirely off the grid but I will build my off grid cabin soon about 1 mile into the property that will be entirely off grid.

Here is my LT70 recently purchased. Yes its my first sawmill :)

LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

Sedgehammer

There's no such thing as 'just' another guy ! We're all valued in some way

Besides your mill , the skid is the most important tool one could one when doing something like your doing

I don't know how long you can mill , but I suggest getting an extension to cut as kind as possible . There'll be places you'll be glad to have a long beam
Necessity is the engine of drive

Son_of_Liberty

Quote from: Sedgehammer on September 06, 2022, 03:02:37 PM
There's no such thing as 'just' another guy ! We're all valued in some way

Besides your mill , the skid is the most important tool one could one when doing something like your doing

I don't know how long you can mill , but I suggest getting an extension to cut as kind as possible . There'll be places you'll be glad to have a long beam
Thank you for the kind words.
The big track skid is invaluable! When we first got to the property a distant neighbor building a cabin lent us his 331G Deere. We immediately used it to fix the creek crossing in order to get my camper to where it is now. It soon overheated and that was all we got done that day. My Bobcat bounces back and forth and I have a new CAT at the shop in IL.
I purchased the mill with a 6' bed extension but the feed chain is no where to be found. I plan to sell it and buy a 12' bed. We are pouring a 40' X 20' pad where the mill will sit and plan to extend it to a cutting length of 32'. The main house on the property will be my mothers "retirement home" :D it will require some long white oak beams.
LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

Jeff

Go big or go home they say! I have a 37 year old manual lt30 and they let me stay. ;)
Welcome.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nebraska

Lt 70, that ought to do it.  :)  welcome sounds like a fun project post lots of pictures as you go.

Southside

That looks like a remote at the head of the mill, if so you can only add a 6' extension on your 70.  Now if it's a walk along, you can extend it clear back to IL if you want.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Son_of_Liberty

Quote from: Southside on September 06, 2022, 10:56:19 PM
That looks like a remote at the head of the mill, if so you can only add a 6' extension on your 70.  Now if it's a walk along, you can extend it clear back to IL if you want.  
Good info to know. As I said i have the 6' bed already. Yes it is a remote, what keeps me from being able to extend the bed any further? Can the new LT70 handle longer extensions?
LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

Southside

No, just the 6'. Has to do with the energy chain and I was told guys who have tried to extend it ran into significant electrical problems as a result. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

bigblockyeti

Wow!!  Looks like you went all in pretty quick, probably less expensive than upgrading over time but the initial buy in requires commitment.  I don't even know what I'd do with an LT70, my LX55 is doing all I need it to now, and almost as fast as I'd like.

Son_of_Liberty

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 07, 2022, 05:41:14 PM
Wow!!  Looks like you went all in pretty quick, probably less expensive than upgrading over time but the initial buy in requires commitment.  I don't even know what I'd do with an LT70, my LX55 is doing all I need it to now, and almost as fast as I'd like.
It was certainly a commitment. I had the check printed for a LT40 and the guy backed out. This one came up, was a remote, good condition and close. I drove the price down enough it was worth the leap. I'm so addicted now I'm considering ordering a new LT70. I needed a mill now for my TN projects so this is what I got. 
LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

Southside

How many hours on the engine?  Does it have the crankshaft bearing support upgrade?  If not you want to get the kit and put it on, a broken crank will ruin your day.  Those Perk-a-pillar engines had an issue with the head gasket and there is a way to tell if it's been upgraded or not and I can't remember what it is, but you should check that as well.  Excellent mill and engine, just some things to be aware of that time revealed is all.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Son_of_Liberty

Quote from: Southside on September 07, 2022, 10:30:11 PM
How many hours on the engine?  Does it have the crankshaft bearing support upgrade?  If not you want to get the kit and put it on, a broken crank will ruin your day.  Those Perk-a-pillar engines had an issue with the head gasket and there is a way to tell if it's been upgraded or not and I can't remember what it is, but you should check that as well.  Excellent mill and engine, just some things to be aware of that time revealed is all.  
Mill has 4500 hrs. Can't say the engine has ever had any work done, paint is completely undisturbed. Yes it has the bearing support, however when changing the drive belt one of the long hex spacers that screws into the block broke off in the engine. I had fun trying to fix that, recovered about 50% of the thread. Currently waiting on the spacer from Wood-Mizer. Its been a bit of a basket case mill. A lot of pour maintenance in areas, like keeping the board return greased. I've slowly been receiving parts from Wood-Mizer, including the newest hydraulic blade tensioner retrofit. Buying a used mill and receiving the customer service I've gotten from Wood-Mizer, I will buy nothing but. This weeks project has been the guides and adjustment. I have come to the conclusion I need to just replace the entire idle side. I believe it was in an accident with a log that tweaked it enough that it will never adjust to my liking. I'm probably over the top on my maintinance. Owning everything from twin engine boats to skid steers we do alot of oil changes and repairs at my shop. I need a full time mechanic honestly. The mill has been cutting great so far and it will only get better with repairs.
LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

bigblockyeti

4500hrs. seems like a lot but given the mill is built well, is highly serviceable, Wood-Mizer is standing behind it and you're addressing the maintenance shortcommings it should last another 4500hrs. no problem.  I'm having some powder coating failure on a few non-wear areas of my LX55 despite it living under cover for the past 16 months, I hope Wood-Mizer will be able to identify what happened and make it right.

customsawyer

I wouldn't worry about the hours. I have one with about 15000 hours on it. I did change the engine at 4200 hours. Not much that can't be fixed on these mills. Nice score.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Son_of_Liberty

Quote from: customsawyer on September 09, 2022, 05:57:24 AM
I wouldn't worry about the hours. I have one with about 15000 hours on it. I did change the engine at 4200 hours. Not much that can't be fixed on these mills. Nice score.
I thought I recognized the name, I've watched your YouTube videos and admire your smooth operation! For a mill with 4500 hrs this thing is clean, much cleaner than some I have looked at. It has always been inside. Never been down the road further than to another farm (Amish Owned) I agree not much that cant be fixed. Wood-Mizer was so helpful getting me the parts for the hydraulic tension upgrade.
LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

K-Guy

Quote from: Son_of_Liberty on September 09, 2022, 09:45:51 AMI thought I recognized the name, I've watched your YouTube videos and admire your smooth operation!

Please Don't make his head swell any bigger than it already has!!  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GAB

Quote from: K-Guy on September 09, 2022, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Liberty on September 09, 2022, 09:45:51 AMI thought I recognized the name, I've watched your YouTube videos and admire your smooth operation!
Please Don't make his head swell any bigger than it already has!!  smiley_jester
Unless you plan on buying him a new hat.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Son_of_Liberty

Finally received the rest of the parts to complete my hydraulic tensioner retrofit. Got it all installed yesterday. Went through the entire mill and made some adjustments. Cutting perfectly square now and my blade tension is great. Also made the switch to diesel for my blades.

Also took a 5 day trip down to the TN property. Didn't get much work done as we blew a coupler on hr 2 on the track loader. Mom flew me down some Bobcat parts and I managed to get an electrical trench down one hill backfilled. Unloaded some steel for my saw shed and had a great flight home over KY Lake

LT70
Bobcat T250
CAT 236D
FORD L9000
CASE 580 Super M

Thank You Sponsors!