iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2023 Garden Seed and Starts

Started by SwampDonkey, December 16, 2022, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I've been getting radishes quite a bit lately.

Everything in the garden is coming along nicely, I have radishes, carrots, green beens, onions, regular and cherry tomatoes, and straight-8 cucumbers.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Carrots, beets, parsnip and onions are in here and up. I also set a beefsteak tomato out that was in the grow tent. I have 3 dozen new ones to go in and peppers (many are flowering now). Feels like October here now and for the next week and will be damp. Nothing more will go in until the 10th or 15 even. The first week of June is always cold, only thing keeping away frost is damp weather. Last June was also cold and damp. Will start some vines tomorrow to set out in a couple weeks. Was going to set some lettuce starts in this weekend, too cold when it's in the 40's and 50's. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I have to shelter my starter trays from the cold again tonight.   Hopefully this will be the last time before planting.  It was 94 degrees two days ago.   I've been rebuilding the garden beds with soil from around my bon fire area.  Lots of dirt from the stumps. Also mixed in some soil from the forest.  I'll probably have a tree sprout in there.

SwampDonkey

The tomatoes and peppers are going in today, going to be 70's weather for a couple days beginning tomorrow, then looks like more rain, but not cold rain. I see no threat of frost from here on. Everything is flowering or in bud stage. I will plant beans next weekend and set out the vines then. Been too cold and wet for beans. I planted lettuce (iceberg, romaine, leaf), dill, and basal yesterday from starts. I'll likely plant more dill seed in the garden next weekend.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Seems like we've had rain and cold for about 10 days.  Gardening is a battle royal this year.
The garden is on high ground but not high enough apparently.  I'm going to use it but make another on a dryer hill and got that ready yesterday.  I'm redneck sheltering my starts outside with wood and clear panels because camp is too small to house them.  A greenhouse would be nice to have.

RetiredTech

No breaks from the heat down here. We've harvested a few cucumbers and the peas are blooming but that's about it. The peppers and eggplants look good but haven't started producing yet. I didn't get the okra planted this year. There was just too much going on.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Greenhighlander

The ground hasn't dried out enough yet for me to work my beds here. Just picked up a great old tiller I am itching to see in action .  
 Not even reaching 10 degrees here today with rain and calling for 12 and rain tomorrow.  

Mooseherder

I've got several projects backed up because of rain.   Perhaps I should focus on building an Ark instead.

SwampDonkey

No lack of wet this week for sure. :D I got the tomatos and peppers in awhile ago this morning. I had the rain gear on, mostly to keep my pant knees from gathering mud. :D There were a few sprinkles, and now looks like sun trying to burn through. Suppose to reach the 60's today.

That rhubarb leaf down on the end in the grass with the red veins was cut last Saturday, never wilted all week from the constant wet. :D

See my rock collection? :D :D

thecfarm

My rock collection is bigger.  :D
Your plants look good.
I hope to get my tomatoes in today. might have to put on a sweat shirt to keep warm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Greenhighlander

After tomorrow , we are suppose to have two days of sun and 20+ temps ( for 2 days )  
The best part about today was the lack of blackflies because it was so cool out lol   Got some more forking done in preparation for tilling.   

SwampDonkey

Dad moved a mountain of rocks off this place. There were rock fences, a rock bridge, rock piles. Under the hill in a wet area is acres of field rock, out the end of the farm there's a pile several feet deep 200 yards long and 20 feet wide. Then the roads that cross swamps and creeks around here are all rock. Two big springs have rock dams around them to drive around. And there's lots shoved out into woods, plus the piles farmers dump on me every time this farm changes hands (5x) and I sas'm about it. :D

thecfarm

Well at least you can move 'em.   ;D

I've hauled off 3 walls so far. Mowed and trimmed around them my whole life. My father did it longer.
Looks like the thunder shower is over, back to the tomatoes.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We never had many that size on the farm, but I do remember a couple the size of a car we moved with a bulldozer. One was only sticking up a little bit, the more they dug the bigger it got. There was more rocks down here at the house than up by the mountain. I remember when dad sold the farm, the guy said we never picked rocks off the place. The guy was a walking insult and is long gone. :D There's a reason the land doesn't hold water on the surface long, gravel all through the mud and rocks 12" down. Rocks piles are pretty porous it turns out. ;D

Out in Deersdale is the land of big rocks on top of the ground. Will never be farmed. Not one here and there, but all over. They cut wood in those rocks to. Fun thinning around them boulders, sometimes you have to leave large areas because they are fortresses of boulders. I ain't climbing boulders with a saw. :D

SwampDonkey

Looks like a warm week and more water later in the week, so I stuck the string beans in this morning and a couple patches of dill. :) Did some weed pull'n and now time to goof off. :D

Firewoodjoe

I've got some were around 100 potato plants doing well. One row of corn is getting there. Another one should sprout any day. For some reason only two carrots came up. I haven't done anything else. We've been in a drought and my well was getting a pretty good work out prior to this weekend. 

Wlmedley

My little hillside garden is doing pretty good although we need some rain.Hopefully we get some tonight and tomorrow but no guarantee.Mulched everything to conserve moisture.Planted marigolds to keep the rabbits and groundhogs away.Seems to work.About ready for a rhubarb pie.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Old Greenhorn

Wait, what? Marigolds 'discourage' ground hogs? Can you tell me more about this? Is it a known 'thing'? If this works, I'm off to the garden store!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Wlmedley

A few years ago my wife had more marigolds than she could use so I planted the excess up in my garden.Every year prior to then I had trouble with rabbits (for sure) and groundhogs (maybe) eating in the garden (especially my sweet potatoes).After planting marigolds I haven't had any more trouble.Been planting some up there ever since.It's worth a try.Marigolds are fairly cheap and if you keep them headed will last all summer. I think it's the strong smell that keeps them away.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

I see local potatoes where I'm working at breaking ground today.

My cukes, squash, and cantaloupe are all germinated in pots and will go in the ground this weekend. :)

Downstream

We have been dry enough this yeear to have to water the garden up until yesterday when we got 1.75 rain steady through the day.  Strawberry patch is at far end and mostly done for the season.  Everything else is vegetables starting to produce.  Onions, tomatoes,peas,green beans, squash,carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, and a few radishes.  We are just finishing up items from last year.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

SwampDonkey

Onions

iceberg

Dill

Carrots

Beats

SwampDonkey

These vines will go in after this cool spell is over. Cukes, cantaloupe and winter squash.

Mooseherder

There hasn't been a rain free day since the last time I mentioned it. :D
I dunno how much more water and cold a garden can take really.  It's ridiculous now.
Tomorrow is supposed to be clouds and no sun.  Cold high 40s most of today, Yuck.

thecfarm

Most is up in the garden.  :o
beans are not, but they like the soil to be warm.
Cukes, squash, basil, flowers are up. 
With the steady rain we are having and the cool temps I am surprised things came up.
Dusted the cukes.
The tomatoes get a dusting too, so the tomato horn worms will not get a chance to hatch out. I dust them once every 2 weeks and that keeps the horns away!!! 

Thank You Sponsors!