iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Pro-grade saw"

Started by fluidpowerpro, May 24, 2023, 01:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Quote from: lxskllr on May 31, 2023, 08:07:19 AM
The echo 590 will wear a 20" bar nicely, and a 24" bar satisfactorily. If you're looking to do it without double cutting, you'd probably want a 90cc saw from Stihl or Husqvarna. They're a lot of saw to carry though, and very thirsty. I have a 661 mainly for milling, but it's nice to have for the occasional big wood. It's a lot of money if you aren't always doing big trees.
I have the cs590 saw also but put an 18" bar 3/8 chain and use a stihl 241 with a 20" bar.   I'm happy with both saws.

beenthere

My Pro saws don't leak oil. just sayin...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Mine do. Just sayin'😁
Too many irons in the fire

Mooseherder

Bar oil wars, If a saw leaks oil on the floor when the lights are off, did anybody see it? :D

Magicman

Quote from: RetiredTech on June 01, 2023, 09:53:38 PMI'm thinking a 32" or 36" bar is probably what I need for the big stuff
For those bar lengths you might as well go ahead a get an MS661 or better still an MS MS500i.

It's fun spending your $$.  ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Yeah if you're running bars that long you want a big saw.

sablatnic

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 01, 2023, 09:51:34 PM
Do the pro saws leak bar oil when not in use like the Joe home owner saws? :D
"

In my experience, yes, most likely.

teakwood

I have 5 stihl pro saws and not one leaks bar oil
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

lxskllr

My only leakers are the PoulanPros and the fake McCulloch. None of my echos(correct pluralization for a proper noun?) or Stihls leak. All my saws are newish though. No classics aside from my sick 026 that's waiting for me do something with.

edit:
RetiredTech... You need to decide what the budget is for a new saw. The 590 I suggested is a good ranch saw at a good price. With a 24" bar, you're most of the way through a 30" tree. It's barely double cutting. If it were me, and 90% of the trees I was cutting were ≤28" with the occasional 36", I'd be looking at 60cc-70cc saws with a 24"-28" bar. The 400cm splits them, but comes at a fairly steep price. Big saws are a hassle to carry, and the fuel consumption is appalling, but if you need one, you need one.

Magicman

I found one for you Wes:

But do not call on me to help you.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TroyC

Wow MM, you can really reach out and touch someone with that one! :D

Al_Smith

Much ado about a little bar oil dribbling .I think eventually they all drool a little bit .Just don't store them on the coffee table in the living room .Another variation of the never ending great oil debate .---great sport --- 8)

beenthere

Store mine like this, and no leaking oil. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RetiredTech

Quote from: Magicman on June 02, 2023, 11:09:03 AMI found one for you Wes:

Uhmm, Thanks for looking out for me MM. But that may be a bit too much for my taste. And my back.lol I bet it would make one heck of a chainsaw mill.

Looks like most people here are in the Stihl camp. Anybody want to weigh in on the bigger Husqvarnas? The Husky 390xp looks interesting. I've got two of the home owner grade 136's that have been rock solid. The oldest one from the late 1990's is pretty much done now. It needs a complete rebuild. I just don't know if it's worth the price of the parts to rebuild a saw that old. I paid less than $200 for it when it was new.

I'm watching a lot's of saw reviews when I have a few minutes. Not much free time lately. Our neighbor donated some oak he had cut for firewood a couple years ago. It's too big for him to split so I volunteered to move it for him. It filled my 16' trailer twice. Most are 2' to 3'+ in diameter. Some of it is rotted about 2" in from the edge but the center is solid and well seasoned. I'm still working on fire wood for the other two houses. Being down during the cooler weather has really put me behind.    
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

RetiredTech

Quote from: lxskllr on June 02, 2023, 07:59:02 AMWith a 24" bar, you're most of the way through a 30" tree.

That's a good point. I have a tree near my house that has to be removed. The price of paying for someone else to cut it will more than pay for the saw. But I don't want to get a saw so heavy or hard to start that I dread to pick it up. The Stihl 500i looks to be the weight to power winner, but all those electronics in a chainsaw? I'm not convinced that's a good idea. The Husqvarna's look like they're a few coins cheaper. So I don't know.
 I do my own repairs so I don't mind carbs. I've been dealing with them all my life and understand how the work fairly well. A well adjusted saw is easy enough to start and will idle when I set it down until I come back to pick it up again. I don't think I need the fuel injection.

Skeans1

Quote from: RetiredTech on June 03, 2023, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: Magicman on June 02, 2023, 11:09:03 AMI found one for you Wes:

Uhmm, Thanks for looking out for me MM. But that may be a bit too much for my taste. And my back.lol I bet it would make one heck of a chainsaw mill.

Looks like most people here are in the Stihl camp. Anybody want to weigh in on the bigger Husqvarnas? The Husky 390xp looks interesting. I've got two of the home owner grade 136's that have been rock solid. The oldest one from the late 1990's is pretty much done now. It needs a complete rebuild. I just don't know if it's worth the price of the parts to rebuild a saw that old. I paid less than $200 for it when it was new.

I'm watching a lot's of saw reviews when I have a few minutes. Not much free time lately. Our neighbor donated some oak he had cut for firewood a couple years ago. It's too big for him to split so I volunteered to move it for him. It filled my 16' trailer twice. Most are 2' to 3'+ in diameter. Some of it is rotted about 2" in from the edge but the center is solid and well seasoned. I'm still working on fire wood for the other two houses. Being down during the cooler weather has really put me behind.    
I use to run the husky 385/390's and still do from time to time with 32/36" bars sometimes if I'm lazy I'll throw my 42 on them if I don't want to dig my 395 out. Anymore I run a 500i with those same bars it's lighter to pack around and is about the same power as the 390. Here's a 500i with a 36 in second growth far side had an old stump that had to be sawed off and I hit something well doing it. https://youtu.be/TNpfSpr0Uk8
Same patch of timber a few years earlier here's a 395 with a 36 the tree is a little smaller as well.
https://youtu.be/96RzYkOD4M0
Here's the best question are you falling with this saw?

Magicman

Quote from: RetiredTech on June 03, 2023, 09:33:18 AMThat's a good point. I have a tree near my house that has to be removed.

Which is why I mostly use a 20" bar.  It's much handier plus sawing from both sides will cut through almost anything that I may come in contact with.  I have the 25" bar in reserve.

Quote from: RetiredTech on June 03, 2023, 09:33:18 AM....... but all those electronics in a chainsaw?
Also the electronics is why I went with the MS362 non CM.

Regarding brand/manufacturer, a reliable and convenient saw shop should be the deal maker/breaker.

barbender

I have a 390xp, good saw. No electronics😊 But then I have a Stihl 500i as well. I really haven't even ran it enough to do a fair comparison, but like Skeans says it feels like 390 power in a lighter saw. Those 500's are spendy though. They're still running around $1500 on this area. A 390 will likely run $1100-$1200😬 I got my 390 for under $900 iirc.

Skeans1

Quote from: Magicman on June 02, 2023, 11:09:03 AM
I found one for you Wes:

But do not call on me to help you.  ::)
Those bars are fun to look at but suck to run all day.

RetiredTech

At first I thought that was another picture of Magicman, but the darker hair and suspenders gave it away. ;D

Magicman

At least he can hold it horizontal without his hind legs coming off of the ground.  :o   :D

Al_Smith

The novelty of a long bar and a 100 CC plus saw is short lived .The longest I have is a 48" and it's a hand full with either 114 CC of Homelite 2100S or 123 CC of a Mac 125 . The 084 also has a 42" and it's no light weight apple tree pruner .BTW they don't see much action .

doc henderson

prob. take two passes. :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Yeah Doc, I was going to say it doesn't matter how long of a bar you put on your saw. There's always going to be that one tree😊

rusticretreater

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 04, 2023, 12:07:37 AMThose bars are fun to look at but suck to run all day.

Sharpening is also something that would be quite tiring.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!