iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Origins of the Forestry Forum

Started by Jeff, March 28, 2008, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Those old timers had a look about them, this is my grandfather, great grandmother, grandmother and great Uncle about 1910

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Den Socling

"Those old timers had a look about them"

Got me wondering when toilet paper was invented.  ::) I read recently about some US president's home that is being restored and it had a multi-hole out house. Anyway, I Googled and found that Northern Tissue advertised in 1935 that their paper was "Splinter Free". Ouch!  ;) People in 1910 had it bad.

brianb88

I've really enjoyed reading this. Very interesting.
Measure twice, cut once

Texas Ranger

I talked about that house in another post.  It was built up against the side of a mountain, with a creek in front of it.  Four rooms and a front porch.  Rooms were small, outhouse to the side.  It faced river bottom land where the family grew corn, to feed the mules they sold. Also a truck patch to feed the family.  My grandfather was a bit Cherokee, and never spoke of it.  He was a carpenter by trade, for what income he could get.  We kept some of the land up until my mother passed and we sold the farm.  My grandfather had built his house in the flat land when mules played out, but kept building other folks houses.  My first job as, probably, a 10 year old helper was to haul cement blocks for him when he was building the foundation walls up from the basement. 

In the spring he plowed the garden patch, and might near all of 10 acres.  Sold some produce. I followed the plow and picked up arrow heads almost every year.  They had build the house next to a slave graveyard, and us kids made hay with scaring the neighbors kids about ghosts. 

I lived in the old house, and again in the "new" house off and on growing up.  The old folks let me roam the woods and fields at will and I grew up kinda wild and willing. 

Still miss the old folks, the old country, and old times.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Corley5

"My grandfather was a bit Cherokee, and never spoke of it." 
  My Grandpa Whittaker was also a bit Cherokee.  That's all we know.  No research has been done beyond that.  My Grandma Whittaker was at least a 1/4 Shawnee.    We didn't find out until about five years ago from one of Grandma's nieces who had done some family research.  When we asked her about it she down played it and that was the end of the conversation.  Neither of them EVER mentioned being part Indian.  It wasn't cool to be Native American back then. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Corley5 on December 23, 2016, 08:36:28 AM
  My Grandpa Whittaker was also a bit Cherokee.  That's all we know.  No research has been done beyond that.  My Grandma Whittaker was at least a 1/4 Shawnee.    We didn't find out until about five years ago from one of Grandma's nieces who had done some family research.  When we asked her about it she down played it and that was the end of the conversation.  Neither of them EVER mentioned being part Indian.  It wasn't cool to be Native American back then. 

I never knew of the background for my granddad, until well after his death I found a site on the web referring to early language, and came up with the comment the old fella used when asked his history, "Black Dutch" was always his answer.  Found out that was what the "breeds" called them selves to stave off the prejudice associated with it on the wild west of Missouri.  Then photos showed up going through my mothers stuff after her death. 

As a kid being part Indian would have made the game of cowboys and indians a bit different. He was short, swarthy, and had dark hair well into his 80's, and seldom needed a shave.

I got all the Dutch side of the family.

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on December 23, 2016, 08:36:28 AM

If I had a hundred bucks to blow, I would have that genealogy DNA text done. it was always speculated about if there was American Indian in the family somewhere. Especially when you look at my Dad's dad and dad's older Sister Myrna. (pictured below). As Myrna aged, and I don't have a picture handy, she really looked Indian. We even have a picture of my Dad's little brother Ron dressed as an Indian. Picture the photo of my Grandfather and his dog with an Indian headdress on...

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

My wife's kids chipped in and got her the DNA kit for Christmas. The results came in a few days ago and will be opened on Christmas Day.  I've been waiting for one of my siblings to spring for it, but it looks like they are waiting for me to do it. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

Back when Roots was first on, my Mom decided it would be a great thing to know who our ancestors were... I told her nothing good would come of it, but she didn't listen to me.

She wished she did...

On one side, we are related to the McPhearsons, well known highway men. On the other side, well, my last name is Morgan and can you think of a very famous person... with the name of Morgan... Well, he never had children, but his brother did. Yep, my ancestors came to the new world as highwaymen, and pirates...

Thanks Mom!  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ox

Jeff - I remember looking at the photos in the beginning of this post and wondering if there was some Mexican/Mayan/Indian in there somewhere.  The skin looks more tanned/brown and the smooth facial features made for handsome looking folks.  I absolutely love old pictures, no matter whose family it is.  Thanks for sharing!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Texas Ranger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Those are really good pictures Jeff. I haven't read every single word but do you know about the year on the man and his dog? That ones cool.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

1930's I believe if you are talking about the latest picture. There is an earlier one posted with what we think is my great grandfather with the Saginaw river boom crew petting a dog as well would have been much earlier.

caveman

I just spent a little time re-reading about the Origins of the Forestry Forum and another thread, https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11679.msg1445067#msg1445067

Jeff guided me to this thread when I asked him how the Forestry Forum came to be.  It is interesting to me how it has evolved since its inception and that a timber pimp, an ice saw and an aspiring artist and his website got the ball rolling.

I was also interested in the early members and what brought them here.  I found that information on the thread linked above.  There have been folks who come and go over the years and some who still log on every day.  

I appreciate Jeff, the moderators and the sponsors who enable us to participate on the Forestry Forum.  
Caveman

Old Greenhorn

Well thanks for that Caveman. The old thread consumed quite a chunk of my afternoon when I should have been working. ;D
 It is a great thread though and the best post for me was the one from Jeff about Kevin signing on as a sponsor. The whole thread served to remind me I am still a newbie here but in good company.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

From the archives

About that time, Staples came in, recognized I was in the Forestry Forum, and proudly announced he was a member and had been for some time.  This was pleasantly surprising, because up until that moment, I wasn't aware he could read.  Much less operate a computer.  

To add to the legend;
When I signed up it was pretty quiet, but there was already someone else using "Don" so I had to add an initial. I had owned a computer for a month. Being a seasoned user, I knew to keep my username on the downlow, but this other interloper kind of screwed up my secretive plan.

Then Staples somehow loses his password. I remember thinking, the old dude is in his 60's, he forgot his username, but whatever. Now no one gets to use "Don".

Its been 20 years festering but I feel better now, even if I'm not really sure what my password is :D.

Jeff

We were all a lot younger when this mess started. :D I was still 30 something.

Texas Ranger

Don P ain't got any more social than he ever was, tradition, I suppose.  ;D

Rereading this took me back to my own history, the old places and folks.  Now we are the old folk's and my kids think of our place as the "old place", nothing new under the sun.

caveman

I spent quite a bit of my yesterday reading this thread when I should have been working.  I did get a bit of work in before the sun set but this topic needs to get moved to the forefront.  A lot of folks put in a lot of time and effort to make this forum work.  I hope that the folks who benefit from the accumulated wealth of knowledge here appreciate what has been made available for them.  If you were to Google anything forestry related, you would probably land on the Forestry Forum.  After doing so, you would probably find what you were looking for.  I am thankful that Jeff started this forum several years ago.  I have met some great friends, learned a lot and have had a diversion from my normal day to day events.
Caveman

kantuckid

Caveman spoke for me as well. I enjoyed seeing the family side of the guru here, Jeff. 
Thanks to all who make such informed and enjoyable comments here. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!