iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New frame

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 04, 2003, 07:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

Bib
Your right about all the variables. That why we need a calculator
I looked at the  site and  they say up to 30 ft and that they come in 6x6 and 8x8 but no detailed info.

ARKY must be pretty sure of his design to get up on top and use it as a launching platform for the                                     SUPER SAWER or Maybe he trusts his pink cape to get him down safe.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Bibbyman

I'd found SocketSystems probably more than a year ago and talked with them a couple of times.  In quoting me a set of brackets for a building,  they went through all the engineering for area of country, spans, spacing, etc.  I wouldn't think they'd want to publish their engineering data for others to copy.

In my case,  going to an 8"x8" beam size worked out a little cheaper than the 6" because I'd need one less assembly.  The extra cost of the beam was not considered as I would be supplying them and,  again,  I'd be using one less set.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

I can see where species is a variable, and I am wondering how structural grade of the 6x6 and 8x8's figure into the design. Beams of a species and a size are not created equal, and boxing the heart means boxing in all the internal limbs. Maybe more of a problem with softwoods and their knot whorls, than with hardwoods and alternate branching characteristics for many species (other than ash). Are there any procedures for evaluating the strength or the elasticity (bendability according to the Dr.Gene) of the beams?
Seems these are the things building inspectors are going to be interested in too, if one has to deal with them. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Inspectors!  Where me and Arky live,  the only "inspectors" we're likely to have to deal with is snoopy neighbors.
Sawing since '94

dan-l-b

Its coming our way Bibby, I just hope Gasconade county can remain a holdout.  Dan

dan-l-b

I forgot ::) ::) thanks arky for a picture of the brackets and hope to meet you, bibby and rmay next Sat in Mt Vernon

Bibbyman

I think Arky may "fly in" on Saturday.

Pah-daaa!
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Some where in all of my timber framing stuff I have a list for timbers size and load  specs.  A good 6x6 oak can hold a lot.  I have spanned up to 30 ft on 12 ft walls with oak and the cabin is 20 ft span with 8 ft walls with pine timbers.  The barn is spaced 12 ft apart for each bent and the cabin is 8 ft between each bent.  You do use strongbacks when rasing and braces when in place.   The angle is 60 degrees and helps in the load stress and sheding of snow.  The barn has been in 50 mph winds befor the sides were put on and the roof stayed in place.   How well you put them in mother earth depends on how well they will stand.
   I have made some with 3/16 x4x4 for a boat shed for me when I get a chance to stand it up.  I am using pine 4x4 for the beams and putting them on 12ft bents. with a 8 ft high and 12 ft span.   I would not put my boat under it if I did not think it would stand.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Arky,  this is the dress of the day at the WM Field Days. :D

Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

If it had not rained yesterday I would have been in the dry.  I got just a few more feet of wall to go.  I should have it done today and will have to wait for the plumbing and electrical to get done to finsh the inside.  I will try to get some more pictures when it is not raining.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Did you/are you going to - slap something on the ERC to keep it red or are you/they going to let it go gray?
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

I will pressure wash it and they are going to seal it.  I wanted to use some stuff that would keep it red but they have a cedar cabin next door and want it to match, YUCK!   But I do not have to live there.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

hillbilly

Arky are you using your connecters at the end of every beam or at the end and the peaks of your rafters and posts ,looks like you have got apretty good thing going on with those connecters I can see where they would save alot of time
     The cedar cabin looks good you did a fine job what kind of finish do you recommend to keep the original color I figured it would turn grey no matter what you put on it fter a little while.
    What kind of roof pitch does your bracket come out to ,it looks pretty steep from here ?
hillbilly

ARKANSAWYER

I now have the brackets sawn at a 30 degree angle so when welded they make a 60 degree angle so that is about a 7/12 pitch.  It is steep but gives good snow load and more head room inside.
  Behr makes a siding/deck sealer that does a real good job of keep it red.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!