iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gafner question

Started by twobears, November 12, 2008, 07:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

i was on a farm tractor website a few nights ago and i did a search  on gafner iron mules.
in a couple posts the guys said something about gafner mini skidders.i thought all he built was iron mules and log loaders.
anybody every seen or heard about those gafner mini skidders?? i can,t remember the modle numbers they talked about but it was 1?? something..i,de have to look them up again.

delbert

twobears

i did some more searching/reading on that site,, it,s a  Gafner 152 Mini-Skidder(Massey based)... according too one guy gafner only made two..this guy has one and another guy came on and said he had one and it was looking for a new home..i emailed the guy but haven,t gotten a reply in two days...the other guy i can,t contact..

Ron Scott

Gafner broght out the Iron Mule forwarder models during the period 1957-1965 and briefly produced a Mini Skidder in 1968, but I don't know much about it.
~Ron

twobears

i see gafner made a three wheeled tree feller too.last night i ran acrossed one for sale it looked very heavy built.
i tryed doing a post on that tractor website but,i keep getting a error message and the guy i emailed hasn,t answered me back.

delbert

Ron Scott

During the 70's the Gafner Company experimented briefly with manufacturing a harvester and they did make a 3 wheeler intended to compete with the Bell 3 wheeler.
~Ron

CountryTrucker76

Quote from: twobears on November 12, 2008, 07:05:05 PM

i was on a farm tractor website a few nights ago and i did a search  on gafner iron mules.
in a couple posts the guys said something about gafner mini skidders.i thought all he built was iron mules and log loaders.
anybody every seen or heard about those gafner mini skidders?? i can,t remember the modle numbers they talked about but it was 1?? something..i,de have to look them up again.

delbert
I actually own one of these Mini Gaf 152 skidders it has a 4 cylinder mercedes engine and the skidder has several levers for low low range and for all wheel drive it is white in color and it originally was a cable skidder but now has been converted to a mini forwarder with a gafner loader. The other one I was told was taken out to california by the owner to do some logging out there so look out redwoods. It is an awesome little machine and the rack thats on it holds 2 big cords of wood.

mad murdock

Countrytrucker76-do you have a pic of your machine? It sure would be neat to see!  Back in the day my brother and i bought a brand new 4501 iron mule. It was a nice machine!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I know of two models of mini skidders that gafner produced. One was the MB 411 that had the Mercedes Benz 107 cu. inch diesel. Also found those engines in Unimogs. They also produced the model 4000MS that had the Perkins AD3-152 diesel. If anyone wants any specs I have both sales brochures on these neat little skidders.
Precision Firewood & Logging

CountryTrucker76

This is a Mini Gaf Skidder made by the Gafner company its 1968- 1971. It was originally a cable skidder but mine has been modified into a mini forwarder. Tried to post the pictures but the site wouldn`t let me/

beenthere

The forum won't keep you from posting pics. ;)  Now your procedure may, but not the forum.

Go to the Home page and down to the "Behind the Forum" on the list. click it and follow the first post for directions. But first, go to your profile and set up your own gallery for a place to put your pics. It's a good system and not difficult to follow. Post any hangup you have and help will be available. Most of us have "been there", no pun intended. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

beenthere wouldn't you like to have a penny for every post you put about posting pics you did it for me and worked great  and thanks for taking the time to help us people out  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

beenthere

Thanks coxy.
But I think thecfarm does it better than me, and some more often.  But whatever helps...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Does it look like this ?

logman81

terry f

Good luck on the picture posting, keep working at it and sooner or later one will get up. If you are using a new camera that might be the problem, mine only lets half the new ones post.

BEEMERS

Check out the post on page 3 called"what is the smallest skidder" posted by ozarkgem. probably the most available info on the gafner skidders anywhere.

BEEMERS

Show em your brochures Logman!!

logman81

logman81

logman81

Finally decided to pursue this gafner mini skidder. Guy didn't use it at all this past summer so I made him a offer to rent to own it. Got lots of potential firewood available so I need it bad. The tractor with grapple just ain't a skidder and it's pretty tired. Hope a deal can be made!

lopet

Quote from: mad murdock on November 04, 2011, 03:41:58 PM
Countrytrucker76-do you have a pic of your machine? It sure would be neat to see! 

Pleeeeaaase !

Jeff posted some videos here how to post pictures.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
That may helps.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

logman81

CountryTrucker76

Im sorry it took a long time to send pics

hacknchop

Better late than never.:) 
That's a nice picture ,thanks for posting.
Often wrong never indoubt

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Do you still have that little forwarder?

barbender

That is cool👍🏻👍🏻
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

It sure is im trying to find out if the guy still has it.

mike_belben

if so i will take two of them so me and boy can rodeo out back. dueling banjos grapples.
Praise The Lord

logman81

I'd buy it if the guy still has it only one I know of.

logman81

Does anyone know how to get ahold of the guy that owns it?

logman81

Firewoodjoe

I was going to pm you where it is. But don't need to I see. I can't believe what guys are asking for iron mules like mine. They are rough and a lot more than I paid for mine. 

logman81

Yup its in Michigan to rich for me but I would love to own it.

logman81

Guy wants 10,000 way to rich for that thing!

mike_belben

Today you cant buy the grapple and crane for 10k.  5 years ago maybe that was crazy but if it runs, imo today it is not.  A beat to death K30 dually dump is 10k now. 
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

I'm with Mike, that was too much but I see clapped out skidders with bad tires and every piece smashed, worn out or broken for high money and when you have something like that sweet little forwarder it is a seller's market especially if you don't need cash right this second.

logman81

I still disagree that it's worth that kind of money. It's such a risk spending that kind of money on something you probably aren't going to find parts for. I do agree however that it is a very cool mini forwarder and the market is a sellers market and I also have to look at trucking half way across the country which would be very expensive!!

wisconsitom

There's one of these on way to my land.  Turns out it's dad of next-door neighbor.  Used to do bits of logging.  Machine was not moved for a long time but I see now he may be trying to get it up and running again.  Had different junk in the bunks.  Guy was/is trying to lengthen the boom reach I hear.

Wouldn't mind having.  Maybe I can "borrow" it when needed, lol.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

mike_belben

the thing about that machine is in the event of catastophic failure one could graft automotive components into it because its just such a simple universal hunk of metal. if it fits it ships.  there is no reason at all that an inline 6 ford 300 with a sm435, np205 and dana 70s or 14bolts with torched and welded rims could not get shoehorned in by a guy with a little can-do spirit in the event of a total basketcase.  sure why not just make your own then!?  well because youre gonna need to buy the grapple rotator, slew gear and valves and tires.. those are gonna cost $10k plus a year of nights and weekends.  

yeah id wanna be buying it by the pound if it were a full blow rehab project.  but if can drive up on the trailer and go to the woods after a few hoses and wires and a tube, well hey, 10k is the new 5k.  youll accept than now or later but youll be accepting it.  $10k is the new $5k.

the money is never ever ever ever ever gonna gain in purchasing power.  it isnt a sellers market, its a new normal. the dollar supply has been doubled. goods repricing must occur, its an economic law as sound as gravity.   everyone can make their own appraisals as individuals, but collectively, market as a whole has a much larger vote than the individual.  if you value your dollar more than the stuff it can buy you just wont have anything but dollars.  someone else will win the bid every time whether its hotrods, harvesters, houses, horses or horseshoes. 

now if that machine doesnt fit someones needs, then its a fools errand any way you slice it. buying an adjustable wrench to use as a hammer sorta thing. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

Yeah unfortunately it seems things are unfortunately getting that way. Five years ago I only paid $7500 for the mini gafner cable skidder that I had but it did need a few things. I guess it all comes down to condition and what it's worth to the person who wants it. I want it but with a little one in the oven and the expense of trucking its not at an affordable price right now for me. It's the exactly what I'm looking for to have to work with and put food on the table for my family and I but just can't justify that much right now. Anyway God bless!

mike_belben

i am right there with you bubba, covid is doing what it was designed to do.  lock us all in our places.  i was getting pretty close to a bobcat replacement, and its a pipe dream now. 
Praise The Lord

logman81

Oh don't get me started on the covid thing! I'm not going to get sucked into that bs!

logman81

I've been talking a lot with the owner and it is a very interesting machine and has been well cared for apparently. It was built using Mercedes components and unimog components which should be easy to get parts for.

snowmountain

Look at NH Craigslist. There is a Gafner skidder there for $7500.

Locally by me there are 2 Gafner forwarders. One working weekly in a firewood operation and the other sitting for 10 years or more. Farmer with that one will never let it go.

Jack

logman81

I saw the one in NH it looks well used and not worth the money imo. 

Where are you from? 
this one is much more rare than the iron mules if those are what you're talking about. 

snowmountain

Yes it does look like time for some attention.

Western Mass. yes the ones here are old Iron Mules.

Jack

logman81

ok yeah its honestly a 5 grand machine and I grew up in western MA. 

mike_belben

No kidding.  I grew up in ludlow and springfield.  What about you guys?
Praise The Lord

logman81

Grew up right down the road in monson/Palmer area we usually visit every couple weeks because we have family that lives in the area. We're in NY but moving back down to Rhode Island this coming year one year in NY is enough for me lol.

mike_belben

My brother lives in monson down 32 near the CT line.  Know a handful of palmer folk too.  Did u go to pathfinder?  Class of 99 im guessing by your SN
Praise The Lord

logman81

Very cool and yes as a matter of fact I did both my wife and I went to pathfinder. I graduated head of my class in horticulture class of 2000. Soon after I started my own busines doing landscaping and small scale logging. I often travel 32 and probably pass right by it on my way to Rhode island where I have family and where we are moving back to.

mike_belben

I signed up to go to pathfinder and changed my mind at the last minute, stayed at LHS.  closest i got was a few trips to the palmer courthouse!  My buddy dave went (class of 98  ) and with no other education makes a small fortune as a union hvac tech. The world didnt seem like it needed tech schools as much then as it does now!
Praise The Lord

Jeff

While everyone has an opinion, And most I agree with, we get complaints that I have to deal with, as we don't all flow the same direction. Please keep hot button posts off the regular forums. That is why we have a restricted board.

Thank you. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chep

If parts are easyish to find I think a 10k price tag is bang on. Not a lot of usable iron out there for under that. An operational machine right off the low bed is worth a lot in my book. 
I understand everyone has budgets etc but nothing is getting cheaper these days. If it's old, runs, and is solid I think it be an easy justification especially in the world of tree work/ back yard logging. 
About 9 years ago i bought a boxer mini stand on skid steer with grapple for 10k and had it paid off in a month doing tree work. No whiny excuses, no slept in texts. Just put fuel in and go to work. That thing has paid for itself so many times since. Yes the initial payment hurt. But not as bad as my back would hurt now if I didnt have it. I still accept a lot of work based solely on the fact that I can get in there with my mini skid. I walk away from a lot that I cant. Not worth the abuse on my body. Longman I think you do similar work and in my opinion you should try to buy it. A goose deck hauler could have it back to you for a couple grand I think. No oversized low bed cost. Just my 2 cents which dont add up a to polished nickel ;)

logman81

chep you would be correct!  I'm the co owner of a full service landscaping and tree service business and I currently have a older 31hp tractor to help do most of the work here in NY but will be moving to Rhode Island this coming spring. I do feel it is a good deal. He actually  went down on price a little.  A guy with a small equipment trailer and one ton could easily truck it to ri. I have a family member that owns a gooseneck trailer and is a truck driver and I may ask them to help if I get funds together. 

I feel that this machine might fit the bill better for me as far as tree work and small lots cutting firewood on then the tractor that parts are getting hard to find. plus last time I used a tractor for woods work it didn't work out as well as I expected. I'm a firm believer of using the proper tool for the job! I may decide to put the tractor up on the block to help fund the purchase idk yet.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

snowmountain

Quote from: logman81 on November 03, 2021, 06:52:24 PM
ok yeah its honestly a 5 grand machine and I grew up in western MA.
Logman, Im in Buckland/Charlemont west of Greenfield.

When you look at what folks are getting for 30-50 hp 4wd tractor a 5-10k skidder could be a great tool for a small firewood guy. Logging with a small tractor is tough on the machine...skidder would do it safer and with less broken stuff.  Don't know you could actually get a working machine for less than 10k though. I'd love to own that Gafner for 5k.
Jack

logman81

I completely agree with you that's why I'm thinking of parting with mine to get this thing but it's a hard decision. I have to make the right one for sure. Only thing I'm concerned is I'm going to be a little bit limited on what I can do with it versus what the tractor can do. Worse case I rent a tractor when I need to do landscaping or dirt work? it's all up in the air right now and have some thinking to do.

mike_belben

I would never part with a good machine, they only get harder to find with more hours, more shoddy repairs or more electronics in the future and each new machine is a lemon gamble. 

I would find a cash way to add the gafner.   
Praise The Lord

logman81

Unfortunately for me it's one or the other. I've got a little one the way and money will be tight for a bit.

mike_belben

Totally understand. Congrats on the baby!
Praise The Lord

logman81

Thanks I decided to put the tractor up for sale will see how things go!

logman81

Some one bought it I would have  liked to buy it but just wasn't in the cards.

wisconsitom

If anyone in Wisconsin or UP of Michigan is looking for Gafner Mini, there's one here:https://carscoms.com/other/gafner-80774.html

Apologies if this is not allowed.  just trying to help someone out.  I could use this thing!

logman81

That has been sold I was talking with the owner on Facebook. I was going to buy it but couldn't pull the trigger in time but did get a lot of pictures and a couple videos and info on it. Very neat little forwarder for firewood for sure!

wisconsitom

Right! Logman, would've been great to have around.  Any way you could send me any of that video?  

logman81

Yes I'm sure someone is enjoying it. The video that I have isn't really all that spectacular. 

wisconsitom

Neighbor's dad up by farm has what l'm pretty sure is a Gafner.  Unit always looked a wreck but yesterday, heard a different sounding rig coming by on the road.  Looks and what do I see....that very skidder moving along smartly, with pickup truck with flashers following behind.  Parked in neighbor's yard.  Says he brought it up to push some snow at church, 😆.  Those guys don't know it yet, but some day, I'm going to own that thing!

47sawdust

Christmas is just around the corner, tom ;D

Most places church is just one day week, that skidder can take the sabbath off and work the rest of the week.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

wisconsitom

These things take patience, lots of patience...

logman81

Someday I may find another to play with. 

Thank You Sponsors!